The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Dear Zos

dragonesti
dragonesti
✭✭✭
Dear ZoS.

Please remove not being able to mount when in combat from the game. It only causes problems and serves no real purpose. Plus there is a mechanic to dismount riders already in the PvP-side of the game, Anti-Cavalry Caltrops.

Better yet remove stuck in combat completely from the game. No one likes it and it serves no purpose and would probably reduce some of that server lag.

While your at it half the distance NPC enemies follow you. It's too long and annoying.

Just start on these two things I expect it done by the end on the quarter.

#BeaHero
#ZoSRulz
#ZoSDidSomethingMost PlayersWant

Sincerely,

Me

PS - Get it Done & I'll mail you some cookies my sister made. They are tasty and delicious.

#AteFirstBatch
  • Morwaenna
    Morwaenna
    ✭✭✭
    Partially agree. It would be an absolute nightmare to constantly have to dismount someone via combat and if implemented it would probably be abused anyway.

HOWEVER, not being able to mount because of combat is definitely bugged because I get stuck in that error message all the time. Swapping to backbar to front and vice versa sometimes fixes it but there's definitely an issue that needs looking at.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does serve a purpose, particularly in Cyrodiil where timing is important. The intended effects of not being able to mount in combat are very noticeable during scroll runs.

Now, it may be that the unintended effects of being stuck in combat long after we've stopped any semblance of fighting are detrimental enough to warrant changing the intended effects of mounting while in combat.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dragonesti wrote: »
    I expect it done by the end on the quarter.
    LOL

• Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple, only prevent us from mounting while in combat in Cyro. Done. Overland it has no use. Dragon fights are what get me stuck in combat most times, so I have to run to the nearest wayshrine. And so what if I want to mount in the middle of combat, that's what mount stamina is for.... if my mount can't take it, I'll dismount.

Definitely agree with fixing enemy chasing distance as well. It is so infuriating how far they will chase you, just to hit you once, then run back. If they leave their designated area, have them abandon their attack and return. Its just lazy coding, but it feels so petty and stupid every time they *whack* and run away like a lil [meow].

Compromise: take away their immunity so I can mow them down when they run way. It makes no sense to have immunity to begin with. Bosses? Okay, they need to reset, understandable. But a wolf? Unnecessary.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple, only prevent us from mounting while in combat in Cyro. Done. Overland it has no use. Dragon fights are what get me stuck in combat most times, so I have to run to the nearest wayshrine. And so what if I want to mount in the middle of combat, that's what mount stamina is for.... if my mount can't take it, I'll dismount.

Definitely agree with fixing enemy chasing distance as well. It is so infuriating how far they will chase you, just to hit you once, then run back. If they leave their designated area, have them abandon their attack and return. Its just lazy coding, but it feels so petty and stupid every time they *whack* and run away like a lil [meow].

Compromise: take away their immunity so I can mow them down when they run way. It makes no sense to have immunity to begin with. Bosses? Okay, they need to reset, understandable. But a wolf? Unnecessary.

It serves no use in Cyro either. You would only be vulnerable if mounted or trying to mount during actual combat. Instead, we're left to the whims of a server that isn't working properly anyway. I'm sure if they just got rid of the "in combat" altogether, the calculations on the server would be immediately reduced. Yes, I know people would swap out gear during a fight, but honestly, who the hell cares at this point?

If you are stupid enough to mount up before the fight is actually over, then you're going to get smashed anyway. Let's stop changing and lagging out the game to help stupid people win a fight!
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭

Definitely agree in most overland content. If it were an actual challenging part of the game, maybe with rewards, I would actually be fine being forced to dismount. Right now overland mobs are mostly chores that your horse trips over or that grapple you.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remove the wall/block to mount in combat, & instead give in-combat mount a cast/summon time.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on October 25, 2020 11:55PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does serve a purpose, particularly in Cyrodiil where timing is important. The intended effects of not being able to mount in combat are very noticeable during scroll runs.

Now, it may be that the unintended effects of being stuck in combat long after we've stopped any semblance of fighting are detrimental enough to warrant changing the intended effects of mounting while in combat.

And there are likely other issues that would crop up if we could mount in combat.

The real issue is that we are not in combat longer after disengaging than we used to be. At least in Cyrodiil.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »

It serves no use in Cyro either. You would only be vulnerable if mounted or trying to mount during actual combat. Instead, we're left to the whims of a server that isn't working properly anyway. I'm sure if they just got rid of the "in combat" altogether, the calculations on the server would be immediately reduced. Yes, I know people would swap out gear during a fight, but honestly, who the hell cares at this point?

If you are stupid enough to mount up before the fight is actually over, then you're going to get smashed anyway. Let's stop changing and lagging out the game to help stupid people win a fight!

I've always thought swapping gear in the middle of combat was a non-issue. Especially in ESO: the menu takes forever to navigate, and you're a sitting duck while you're trying to swap. I can't even think of a scenario where the ability to do so would be game breaking/OP.

Another issue with in-combat restrictions: swapping skills. This one has more potential for being abused, compared to swapping gear, but could we at least remove these restrictions in dungeons? As a healer, I am always needing to swap out skills before the start of a dungeon, and so many players just charge ahead, triggering "in combat." Or if the group needs less/more heals, it would be nice to be able to swap out skills without rushing like a maniac trying to diffuse a dangerous device. Even if you ask nicely in chat, those players are... illiterate.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    Remove the wall/block to mount in combat, & instead give in-combat mount a cast/summon time.

That isn't a bad idea, but from what ZOS has said so far, it is the massive amount of calculations that might be causing the lag and other problems. That being the case, I would have thought they might have reduced the number of calculations instead of increasing them during all the testing. Removing the in-combat status would reduce the calculations all over the map.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always thought swapping gear in the middle of combat was a non-issue. Especially in ESO: the menu takes forever to navigate, and you're a sitting duck while you're trying to swap. I can't even think of a scenario where the ability to do so would be game breaking/OP.

Another issue with in-combat restrictions: swapping skills. This one has more potential for being abused, compared to swapping gear, but could we at least remove these restrictions in dungeons? As a healer, I am always needing to swap out skills before the start of a dungeon, and so many players just charge ahead, triggering "in combat." Or if the group needs less/more heals, it would be nice to be able to swap out skills without rushing like a maniac trying to diffuse a dangerous device. Even if you ask nicely in chat, those players are... illiterate.

Its more of an issue on PC where players can swap sets much more quickly with add-ons.

It was a whole thing back in 2017 with thr Clever Alchemist set in PVP. People would proc CA to get the buff, then swap their gear to something better for fighting with an add-on, then jump into combat. ZOS' fix was to say "CA only procs while "in combat" now."
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 30, 2020 8:17PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allowing players to mount in combat is not the best solution.

The best solution is removing players from combat in a timely manner after combat is done. However, since that seems to be an impossible task (for some reason), I'd say that allowing players to mount while in combat should be looked at as an option. As a balance, perhaps set mount stamina to near zero when you first mount while in combat so that if you are actually in combat, a single light attack will dismount you again. Perhaps also make the penalties for being knocked off much more drastic.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its more of an issue on PC where players can swap sets much more quickly with add-ons.

It was a whole thing back in 2017 with thr Clever Alchemist set in PVP. People would proc CA to get the buff, then swap their gear to something better for fighting with an add-on, then jump into combat. ZOS' fix was to say "CA only procs while "in combat" now."

I'm not sure at this point that I even care if they can swap sets, skills, or anything else! The draw backs of the combat bug far out weigh the addon and swapping in combat. Besides, if ZOS enforces the macro rules, we might not be having to have this discussion in the first place.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allowing players to mount in combat is not the best solution.

The best solution is removing players from combat in a timely manner after combat is done. However, since that seems to be an impossible task (for some reason), I'd say that allowing players to mount while in combat should be looked at as an option. As a balance, perhaps set mount stamina to near zero when you first mount while in combat so that if you are actually in combat, a single light attack will dismount you again. Perhaps also make the penalties for being knocked off much more drastic.

I am more inclined to allow mounting while in combat if it comes down to it. I wouldn't increase the penalties though. If you get hit while on your mount with CC's, all you can do is stand there for several seconds anyway. By then, you're finished.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely agree in most overland content. If it were an actual challenging part of the game, maybe with rewards, I would actually be fine being forced to dismount. Right now overland mobs are mostly chores that your horse trips over or that grapple you.

Its those speed slowing attacks that annoy me the most :s