The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[HOTFIX] Do u know how long this bug in game?

Veles
Veles
✭✭✭✭
I'm very interested in how critical a bug must be to make a hot fix for it. Some bugs are not critical and will be fixed with scheduled updates. And other little things are not fixed sometimes for years in this game.

So I had a question. Characters below level 50 using a group tool and getting into groups passing veteran dungeons don't deserve a hot fix? This bug has just existed since the last major patch. It still hasn't been fixed. Hello, are the developers generally aware of this?
Edited by Veles on October 29, 2020 10:58AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Veles wrote: »
    I'm very interested in how critical a bug must be to make a hot fix for it. Some bugs are not critical and will be fixed with scheduled updates. And other little things are not fixed sometimes for years in this game.

So I had a question. Characters below level 50 using a group tool and getting into groups passing veteran dungeons don't deserve a hot fix? This bug has just existed since the last major patch. It still hasn't been fixed. Hello, are the developers generally aware of this?

This actually happens in pvp battlegrounds too, where below 50 and cp players get out in the same game.
  • sammeh1991
    sammeh1991
    ✭✭
    I got grouped into a Vet Dungeon at level 49 and the group kept telling me I'm a noob because I could not teleport in lol 😂
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are aware of this bug. However no fix yet.
    So its not an trivial bug to fix as in some obvious error.
    Its an reason why groupfinder is called bugfinder.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

I almost get the feeling that whoever gets the Group Finder story assigned to them starts looking for a new job. That thing must be one hell of a poison chalice in their backlog.

We had a similar problem with a specific piece of business logic of a feature in an application we delivered; no one could fix it , not in 8 years. All we had were a handful of ideas and passable workarounds, and no time to rebuild the entire component from scratch. I feel for them on this in some ways, but honestly, we've got to the point where bug fixes and bandaids don't appear to work, and its quickly becoming a game of whack-a-mole. Maybe the GF just needs to be redesigned from the ground up?

Edited by mairwen85 on October 29, 2020 3:35PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. I had a level 13 or 15, I dont remember exactly, but I know he was sub 20 in our vet the other night. I was pulling 75 to 80% of the overall damage which I found amusing, especially because I was not pulling "great" damage myself, just good enough.

Anyway, it caused us to wipe multiple times on some bosses, the group eventually disintegrated, we never finished the vet. "GG ZOS, thanks for the waste of time" just kept running through my head.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixing bugs isn't just about whether they're critical or trivial. It's also about the team being able to recreate the bugs so they can diagnose them and work out a fix - which then has to be tested extensively so as not to break something else in the process. Moreover, it also depends on whether it is literally game-breaking or merely inconvenient, and how consistent it is as well as how many players it affects. Your best bet on any particular bug is to follow/contribute to the Bug Reports forum.
    Edited by Tandor on October 29, 2020 4:04PM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like this falls under the annoying but not too serious category and therefore might be lower down the list of priorities than other things.

Plus I think they have a lot on their plates at the moment what the patch coming out and all the PVP tests done recently.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. By the time it's fixed your character will probably be CP level anyway and it won't affect you.
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    I feel like this falls under the annoying but not too serious category and therefore might be lower down the list of priorities than other things.

Plus I think they have a lot on their plates at the moment what the patch coming out and all the PVP tests done recently.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. By the time it's fixed your character will probably be CP level anyway and it won't affect you.

Sure, mate. Last evening every guildmate below lvl 50 reg random normal, waiting about 30-40 mins in queue and then had this bug. I wish u every ur random normal to be the same, maybe u will understand us then : )
    Edited by Veles on October 29, 2020 5:48PM
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very interested in how critical a bug must be to make a hot fix for it.

Is it a bug for crown store? yes -> hotfix in a hour or two
    Is it a bug making people unable to access some part of the game? -> fix in same or next day
    Is it a bug breaking some major game functions? -> fix in a week or two (next maintenance)
    Is it a bug impairing some functionality for many but not all player? -> possible fix in a month or two
    Is it a bug affecting performance or non function breaking bug? -> possible acknowledgement in a month or two, fix maybe in a year or so
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

I almost get the feeling that whoever gets the Group Finder story assigned to them starts looking for a new job. That thing must be one hell of a poison chalice in their backlog.

We had a similar problem with a specific piece of business logic of a feature in an application we delivered; no one could fix it , not in 8 years. All we had were a handful of ideas and passable workarounds, and no time to rebuild the entire component from scratch. I feel for them on this in some ways, but honestly, we've got to the point where bug fixes and bandaids don't appear to work, and its quickly becoming a game of whack-a-mole. Maybe the GF just needs to be redesigned from the ground up?

They have redesigned it from the ground up. It used to work way worse - you may remember the "someone declined" times, and the cancelled Undaunted events, and all that stuff.
    After that, they revamped the thing, and it worked decently for a while (and still does, generally speaking).

This bug with people getting into the wrong difficulty is a new one, introduced around the time when the Bugmoor dropped, so it may be buried somewhere in the dumpster fire that were the Greymoor launch issues.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    I'm very interested in how critical a bug must be to make a hot fix for it.

Is it a bug for crown store? yes -> hotfix in a hour or two
    Is it a bug making people unable to access some part of the game? -> fix in same or next day
    Is it a bug breaking some major game functions? -> fix in a week or two (next maintenance)
    Is it a bug impairing some functionality for many but not all player? -> possible fix in a month or two
    Is it a bug affecting performance or non function breaking bug? -> possible acknowledgement in a month or two, fix maybe in a year or so

Is it a bug for the mail system where you never see the incoming mail until you log or zone? -> "sorry dave i'm afraid i can't do that"
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

They have redesigned it from the ground up. It used to work way worse - you may remember the "someone declined" times, and the cancelled Undaunted events, and all that stuff.
    After that, they revamped the thing, and it worked decently for a while (and still does, generally speaking).

This bug with people getting into the wrong difficulty is a new one, introduced around the time when the Bugmoor dropped, so it may be buried somewhere in the dumpster fire that were the Greymoor launch issues.

They didn't redesign it, they just changed the error message which was often wrong to begin with. Often it would state someone declined when really the issue was that a new instance couldn't be spawned. They didn't change the queue that much but tweaked how the instances connected to it. Its not a new queue system we have at all. And that's the point I'm making. They keep 'fixing' things around the queue, and fiddling with things in the queue and what we get as a result are a variety of behavioural kinks and quirks.
    Edited by mairwen85 on October 29, 2020 4:57PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Fixing bugs isn't just about whether they're critical or trivial. It's also about the team being able to recreate the bugs so they can diagnose them and work out a fix - which then has to be tested extensively so as not to break something else in the process. Moreover, it also depends on whether it is literally game-breaking or merely inconvenient, and how consistent it is as well as how many players it affects. Your best bet on any particular bug is to follow/contribute to the Bug Reports forum.
    This, now as I understand its two variations of it, says its vet and don't allow <50 in, then inside its normal. This also affect < cp 300 in normal dlc.
    Another version ends up as an vet dungeon. Note that user error can be an thing for the later.

However one clue would be if crown has group difficulty set to veteran. lots does vet pledges and also run random normal for xp. From Monday randoms also give 10 transmute crystals so this will be much more of an issue as all the 810 who don't do PvP will start running random normals.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Monday randoms also give 10 transmute crystals so this will be much more of an issue as all the 810 who don't do PvP will start running random normals.

More to say, increased experience due to the event motivates people use random normals to gain experience. And what do they get? Once again, a non-working tool with a completely idiotic failure in the system.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, we understand that this bug is frustrating, especially after you've been waiting in queue for a while, but we wanted to take this time to clear a few things up.

Unfortunately, not everything can be hotfixed either due to the nature of the problem or because it would require server downtime. Some issues take longer to resolve because they can't be hotfixed or because they need to be tested for longer. (This can be for a variety of reasons, but some examples include the bug being difficult to reproduce or because the fix touches a lot of in-game systems and requires additional testing.) In this case, we are still testing a fix for the problem.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭

They didn't redesign it, they just changed the error message which was often wrong to begin with. Often it would state someone declined when really the issue was that a new instance couldn't be spawned. They didn't change the queue that much but tweaked how the instances connected to it. Its not a new queue system we have at all. And that's the point I'm making. They keep 'fixing' things around the queue, and fiddling with things in the queue and what we get as a result are a variety of behavioural kinks and quirks.

They completely replaced the activity finder. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/503224/activity-finder-server-performance-update
    Or that was a lie.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    rustle911 wrote: »

They completely replaced the activity finder. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/503224/activity-finder-server-performance-update
    Or that was a lie.

It depends on how you define "new" in engineering. Many times, especially when components are heavily embedded, they cannot be simply replaced due to all the other parts they interact with; instead portions are reworked, or extended, or additional components are added along side them--in all cases the resulting functionality provided would be referred to as "new" because the original feature/component as engineered no longer exists. I sincerely doubt they ripped out the Activity finder in its entirety and added a completely new one and updated all references to it. The "new" Activity finder will be a newer version of the original with extensive changes to problem areas if anything. However, I'm happy to be told that isn't the case and would be impressed if they did completely retro-fit and entirely spanking new Activity Finder, even though several older bugs persist and newer ones have emerged (which smells of a code and fix approach to be honest).

• Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think my group encountered this bug, 3 of us below level 50 and couldn't enter Fungal.
  • dcmgti
    dcmgti
    ✭✭✭
    I've encountered this problem a lot recently leveling a new tank. Happened at least once a day, sometimes several times in a row.

I wouldn't care if I wasn't punished/timed out because the game decided to try and jump my character into a dungeon that is vet difficulty. Yes being a tank is almost instant queue but when I get timed out 3 times in a row with an XP scroll running, its extremely frustrating.

Does this only happen to players leveling alts? I've wondered if it has something to do with having CP applied to my under 50 character or just having other CP leveled characters.
  • deleted220717-003304
    It's not just alts unfortunately; I've recently started levelling on a new platform, no CP in place on that server, and I get the same issue still.
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    still not fixed

Guys, you have one of the highest rewards for getting transmutes for random dungs. Now everyone will run around random dungs, but the system is just a huge hole. This bug did not appear yesterday, it is already SEVERAL MONTHS OLD. You just don't do anything, only release new same broken content. Now you have messed up with combat after last patch, you are multiplying bugs. Do you even have a boss there who is able to steer the work process?
    Edited by Veles on November 3, 2020 8:31AM
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This big started with visual bug with normal dungeons saying vet. Also vet dungeons saying normal.

What's even more interesting is sometimes this is only seen by one person for visual error. So um bug is probably in there