The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon glyph scaling question

VisualDeadlock
I am sorta new to ESO, I played a couple years ago for a cpl days, then stopped.

I returned recently and now I am level 23. Enchanting question.

I made a glyph of frost, minimum level 15 (I guess it means the weapon), glyph says it does 1251 frost damage. I applied it to my level 19 one-handed weapon. But now the weapon states the frost damage is only 625. Can someone explain why this is? I asked in zone chat and it has something to do with outleveling my gear or something.

Does that mean I have to use a higher item level 1-hander? Use a higher level enchantment? Pretty confused
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The enchantment will only have the correct power for the correct levelled item. You put it on an item several levels above it, so the enchantment is weaker. You'll notice the same happens when your character equips gear below their level, it becomes weaker as you grow.

Edited by mairwen85 on October 30, 2020 12:41PM
  • VisualDeadlock
    Oh ok - so I would have to use a higher level enchantment then (like potency 3?)
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sorta new to ESO, I played a couple years ago for a cpl days, then stopped.

I made a glyph of frost, minimum level 15 (I guess it means the weapon), glyph says it does 1251 frost damage. I applied it to my level 19 one-handed weapon. But now the weapon states the frost damage is only 625. Can someone explain why this is? I asked in zone chat and it has something to do with outleveling my gear or something.

Does that mean I have to use a higher item level 1-hander? Use a higher level enchantment? Pretty confused

I believe glyph power is cut in half on one-handed weapons, also. This was to prevent dual-wielding from doing excessive damage. If you put that glyph on a two-handed weapon, it would probably be closer to the 1251. And if you put a similar glyph on another one-handed weapon and equipped both, their combined glyph damage would be about 1251.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

I believe glyph power is cut in half on one-handed weapons, also. This was to prevent dual-wielding from doing excessive damage. If you put that glyph on a two-handed weapon, it would probably be closer to the 1251. And if you put a similar glyph on another one-handed weapon and equipped both, their combined glyph damage would be about 1251.

Yes, that detail is in the link I posted too. Glyph power is also cut to 40% for all body pieces apart from head, chest, and legs.

Annoyingly for dual wield, heavy attacks proc only 1 enchant at a time (main hand first, offhand if main is on cooldown); dw abilities only proc the main hand enchant. So frustratingly, unless you're light attack spamming, you'll rarely get both enchants to proc regular enough to get the full benefit. Also, enchant of the same type shares the same cooldown. For dual wield, you're better off using poisons--but those aren't affected by the infused trait (so avoid that with precise/nirnhoned/shapened instead).

In all honesty, gear advancement is attritious until CP160 anyway, so just pick up and wear what you find until then and don't worry too much about whether or not it's best or even half decent, just make sure you're dressed :)

Edited by mairwen85 on October 30, 2020 1:17PM
  • VisualDeadlock
    Ok thanks guys.

I did notice this in the link posted "Special note about Armor Glyphs: Only Head, Chest, Legs, and Shields receive the full effect of an enchantment. Shoulder, Hands, Belt, and Feet receive only 40% of the stated value on the Glyph." which you mentioned but can't find the 1h getting 50% bonus.

Don't really know what infused means, but I figure ill worry about it if i ever hit max level and do dungeons and raiding
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Infused is a weapon/armour/jewellery trait:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Traits
    Edited by mairwen85 on October 30, 2020 1:19PM