The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best StamPlar Race

Roylund
Roylund
✭✭
Hello, I'm thinking of starting up a StamPlar to bring into IC and Cyro once the AoE tests wrap up. I'm having some trouble deciding on the race. I have a Dark Elf MagPlar that I could swap to be stam but that seems suboptimal so I'm looking into building a dedicated StamPlar with the other stam races.

What are everyone's thoughts on Orc/Nord/Wood Elf/Imperial/Redguard for StamPlar?

My guess would be that Redguard is kind of bad since I'll be jabbing instead of using weapon skills. Wood Elf I've seen work in some specific builds which kind of turns me off since I don't want my StamPlar to only work with certain builds like Kristofer's vampire StamPlar build (I could be wrong about this). Between Nord and Imperial I'm not sure if there is a huge difference. I don't see many Imperials running around so I'm guessing they're just outclassed by Nords. Again, I could be wrong. Orc I know would give me the most damage but I'm worried about survivability and sustain.

Thoughts?
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I use Imperial. However, Orc, Wood Elf, and Khajiit are also viable options.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nord is a good bet, i prefer imperial on classes where i want to switch between mag and stam.

Nord is probably BIS, especially if you want to pvp, hard to beat the passives.

Orc isnt bad, but other than the spring passive it doesnt really offer anything unique.

Woodelf is okay if you want to use a bow backbar and want to play a speedy build.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord for noCP/medium armor

Orc/Imp for CP/heavy armor
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Husan
    Husan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc for best damage + best runner
    Nord for best defense + ulti generation
  • Roylund
    Roylund
    ✭✭
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    Personally, I use Imperial. However, Orc, Wood Elf, and Khajiit are also viable options.

Do you feel tanky or damaging enough as an Imperial? I kind of want to run one but I don't see what they have over the other races.
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Nord is a good bet, i prefer imperial on classes where i want to switch between mag and stam.

Nord is probably BIS, especially if you want to pvp, hard to beat the passives.

Orc isnt bad, but other than the spring passive it doesnt really offer anything unique.

Woodelf is okay if you want to use a bow backbar and want to play a speedy build.

I thought the Orc passive was great as StamPlar since you don't have mobility in the kit. Maybe I'm overestimating it.
    Nord for noCP/medium armor

Orc/Imp for CP/heavy armor

Don't you lose out on too much damage if you go Imperial + Heavy armor?

I think Orc might be the way to go based on the feedback here. Hopefully it won't be too squishy in noCP.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roylund wrote: »
    Do you feel tanky or damaging enough as an Imperial? I kind of want to run one but I don't see what they have over the other races.

One of the ways Heavy limits your damage output is by how it limits your sustain. Imperials probably have at least as good as sustain in Heavy as Bosmer, and better if you block all the time.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you lose out on too much damage if you go Imperial + Heavy armor?

I think Orc might be the way to go based on the feedback here. Hopefully it won't be too squishy in noCP.

If your focus is no CP, then I suggest medium armor. The sustain and damage you get out of it can go a long way for making up some of what you lose without champion points.

And in medium armor, I feel the best race choice is Nord, making up for the lack of mitigation provided by medium armor. The base stats and ultimate gen are nice as well. And don't overlook the chilled status effect immunity. When you take advantage of that, you're avoiding a 15% reduction to your damage.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Roylund
    Roylund
    ✭✭
    One of the ways Heavy limits your damage output is by how it limits your sustain. Imperials probably have at least as good as sustain in Heavy as Bosmer, and better if you block all the time.

I see, I wasn't thinking of how well Imperial pairs with Heavy sustain-wise. If your choice was between Imperial, Orc, and Bosmer for noCP what would you choose? I'm 400cp right now so I don't see a real reason to jump into CP campaigns and am trying to avoid Nord so that the toon doesn't feel gimped in PvE.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO entirely depends on your layout. (No CP advice coming)

If you're gonna run Malacath then clearly orc nord etc are a superior choice

With wild hunt or torc you gotta put some investments into crit and crit modifiers or else you're losing 10+% damage by not running Malacath - hence ATM I can see khajiit being a choice
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I see, I wasn't thinking of how well Imperial pairs with Heavy sustain-wise. If your choice was between Imperial, Orc, and Bosmer for noCP what would you choose? I'm 400cp right now so I don't see a real reason to jump into CP campaigns and am trying to avoid Nord so that the toon doesn't feel gimped in PvE.

Heavy armor doesnt necesseraly limits your sustain, if you know how to heavy attack weave properly than you can get away with much less regen than in medium.
    That being said i dont like heavy for stamplar, the crit passive and easy major savagery being wasted just feels bad.
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PvP. You pick nord. You don’t need damage on a class that you can absolutely just crank people on. Stamplar doesn’t hurt for damage it’s just flimsy. So unless you want to get lawnchaired on the daily; pick nord. There isn’t even a discussion just lesser stamplars here that would disagree.

For the Queen bby
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP. You pick nord. You don’t need damage on a class that you can absolutely just crank people on. Stamplar doesn’t hurt for damage it’s just flimsy. So unless you want to get lawnchaired on the daily; pick nord. There isn’t even a discussion just lesser stamplars here that would disagree.

I would argue that stamplar isnt really high on the damage right now after all the nerfs.

Potl hits for nothing, BL procs miss even when you land a full set of jabs etc.

But regardless, with the barebones defenses the class has nord is defo bis.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have grand overlord orc stamplar and feel very good about race.

Mostly CP cyrodiil/IC.

That sprint speed with sprint cost reduction really helped me a lot. As a stamplar you don't have health based heal or any good healing modifiers by missing health like Major Mending/Dragon blood/Near-Death Experience etc.

If you are low at health and outnumbered first thing you do is want to sprint to LOS, cast ritual to purge dots and wait for vigor/health recovery ticks to heal you up.

You don't stand blocking and try to outheal damage in this current meta on stamplar.

I like building health regen and building good sustain for kitting on stamplar instead of raw resistances.

Stamplar has good killing potential outside of ultimate and have no good class ulti to rely on. Nord ulti regen isn't as vital on stamplar as on stamdk/stamcro or even stamden.

For newer players maybe I would recommend nord till you learn how to survive better, but I wouldn't say that nord is superior to orc. They are both very close and good, just for my playstyle orc suits me better.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    West93 wrote: »
    I have grand overlord orc stamplar and feel very good about race.

Mostly CP cyrodiil/IC.

That sprint speed with sprint cost reduction really helped me a lot. As a stamplar you don't have health based heal or any good healing modifiers by missing health like Major Mending/Dragon blood/Near-Death Experience etc.

If you are low at health and outnumbered first thing you do is want to sprint to LOS, cast ritual to purge dots and wait for vigor/health recovery ticks to heal you up.

You don't stand blocking and try to outheal damage in this current meta on stamplar.

I like building health regen and building good sustain for kitting on stamplar instead of raw resistances.

Stamplar has good killing potential outside of ultimate and have no good class ulti to rely on. Nord ulti regen isn't as vital on stamplar as on stamdk/stamcro or even stamden.

For newer players maybe I would recommend nord till you learn how to survive better, but I wouldn't say that nord is superior to orc. They are both very close and good, just for my playstyle orc suits me better.

I guess my experience in no cp is different, but Nord feels really necessary with how high incoming damage is.

The sprint speed on orc isnt really that great imho, you can build speed 27 different ways these days, you dont have to be an orc for that.

As for having killing potential outside of ultimate, 1v1 yes, outnumbered really only aganist bad players. With how weak POTL is right now, id say relying on ultimate for burst is more important than ever.

And you are right about class ulti being weak, dawnbreaker is still there, even with all the desync issues.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord is the best imo, I’ve gone back between orc and nord on stam the last few updates, I find damage and regen are easily tweaked and balanced with mundas, food, attributes etc. but to balance tankyness you end up changing gear, however between nord, 2 large pieces of heavy, resistance mundas you can still comfortably reach nearly 30k resists and get away running 2-3 damage sets and not getting rinsed instantly.