The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Different platform, different region, different meta

Xiomaro
Xiomaro
✭✭✭
Just a little reminder as we all forget this from time to time.

PC EU has a different meta to PC NA, which has a different meta to Xbox NA, which has a different meta to Playstation EU.

Likewise, IC, Cyrodiil, BGs and duels all work differently. As does CP vs no CP.

I say this because all too often, I see people saying "X build is OP, everyone is running it". And I think to myself; "I've literally never seen someone run that" or even "there's no way someone would run that. That sounds like a terrible build". And it would be easy but foolish to conclude that that person must be a "zergling" or something. But your local meta matters a lot, so you can't always presume that. Most of my experience is with high MMR BGs on PC EU and I can say that the meta in deathmatch right now is tanky classes with Crimson Twilight backbar, Malacath plus whatever sets work on your class (often it's another proc like Syvarra/Grothdar). We don't get heavy attack builds, we don't see Harbinger trolls, we certainly don't get werewolves - and when you do see any of those kinda builds, they get crushed or ignored. But that doesn't mean those builds aren't decent in some other zone in a different meta.

I know from experience in other games that Europeans often seem to lean towards more defensive game play while North America tends to go for a more aggressive style. I can't say if the same is true of ESO but in a defensive meta, glass cannon builds are difficult to pull off. While in a more aggressive meta, you'll have slightly fewer tanks overall so a glass cannon burst build will have a better time.

My point is - it's worth mentioning which region, platform and zone you PVP in when giving your opinion. I've just put "PC EU No CP" in my signature so my opinions have some context from now on.
PC EU No CP PVP
Xiomaro: Nord Stamsorc
Xio'maro: Breton Magsorc
Falura Avelni: Dunmer Vampblade
Ulric Longboi: Nord Stamden
Sha'boom-boom: Orc Werewolf Tank
Morga The Roarer Nord Stamcro
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's surprising to me that the disparity across game regions persists. Not across environments like duels vs BGs but same MMR, same BGs mode, different region. That's odd. I would expect things to be roughly the same by the end of a patch after a few rounds of mutual build adjustments.
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    It's surprising to me that the disparity across game regions persists. Not across environments like duels vs BGs but same MMR, same BGs mode, different region. That's odd. I would expect things to be roughly the same by the end of a patch after a few rounds of mutual build adjustments.

It's the mentality difference. You see it in other games, too. NA seems to be driven by fragging, EU is driven to stay alive. I'm not sure why that is. It's even more different when you look at Asia in other games, they tend to be a little more co-operative in mentality over personal plays. So you'd probably see more tank/peelers and healer/supports.

Edit to mention that these are sweeping statements that don't apply to all players in a region, of course
    Edited by Xiomaro on October 24, 2020 6:38PM
    PC EU No CP PVP
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess I'll take your word for it. FWIW I don't really see Thews or WWs in PC NA BGs much although I didn't play much this patch.
    Edited by Recapitated on October 24, 2020 7:29PM
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiomaro wrote: »
    Just a little reminder as we all forget this from time to time.

PC EU has a different meta to PC NA, which has a different meta to Xbox NA, which has a different meta to Playstation EU.

Likewise, IC, Cyrodiil, BGs and duels all work differently. As does CP vs no CP.

I say this because all too often, I see people saying "X build is OP, everyone is running it". And I think to myself; "I've literally never seen someone run that" or even "there's no way someone would run that. That sounds like a terrible build". And it would be easy but foolish to conclude that that person must be a "zergling" or something. But your local meta matters a lot, so you can't always presume that. Most of my experience is with high MMR BGs on PC EU and I can say that the meta in deathmatch right now is tanky classes with Crimson Twilight backbar, Malacath plus whatever sets work on your class (often it's another proc like Syvarra/Grothdar). We don't get heavy attack builds, we don't see Harbinger trolls, we certainly don't get werewolves - and when you do see any of those kinda builds, they get crushed or ignored. But that doesn't mean those builds aren't decent in some other zone in a different meta.

I know from experience in other games that Europeans often seem to lean towards more defensive game play while North America tends to go for a more aggressive style. I can't say if the same is true of ESO but in a defensive meta, glass cannon builds are difficult to pull off. While in a more aggressive meta, you'll have slightly fewer tanks overall so a glass cannon burst build will have a better time.

My point is - it's worth mentioning which region, platform and zone you PVP in when giving your opinion. I've just put "PC EU No CP" in my signature so my opinions have some context from now on.

100% there have been so many times i seen someone drop a build video from PC NA and with my main account being on xbox NA I would just lol at the sets they are running and would only think wow here they are 1vXing like its nothing but over here they would be dropped within a second on trying to fight low CP guys over here. And then the same can be said when console is on an old meta setup and since I been playing on PC NA as well now I would think nope console would not make it a second haha
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the PvE side of things, from what I've seen in end-game raiding groups anyway, meta is pretty much the same on PC NA and EU across roles for given trials. Can't say for other content, or platforms though.
    Edited by Jaimeh on October 24, 2020 11:01PM
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Non tanks on PC Na? Doesn’t seem likely to me. Elder Sustain Online pretty global Rn. Nobody wants to get exposed. Nobody wants to die.

For the Queen bby
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently started running in Cyrodiil with a friend who migrated recently from PCNA to XBNA, and his own personal experiences on the matter are exactly the same as what you said. Honestly I sometimes find it crazy just how different it is even though it's the same exact region. Not only the meta itself but even the gameplay in Cyrodiil and how the big groups behave, how often or unoften the map changes, the general 'flow' of cyrodiil itself - both apparently noticeably different on each platform.

For real though, y'all don't have a Thews tank and WW infestation over in the EU? Oh what a dream! I usually can't go more than a few minutes in Cyrodiil these days without running into a Thews necro or a WW running that new incredibly annoying Grimhallow build (or any build honestly - as a mag character every WW is annoying as hell no matter what they're doing. Would at least be nice if they had a dodgeroll animation so I could stop shooting my spectral bow into thin air lol).

As for the general tankiness of EU vs NA, I'm not entirely sure about that one though. Maybe we have more players playing more glassy builds, but for real we also have a serious infestation of people who still build super tanky and them just sit on their backbar furiously smashing block until their ult is up.
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • systema555
    systema555
    ✭✭
    Very astute observation !

Which explains why most ppl ccing a build might not perform as well as expected...

Unless ofc your run the cheesest of all...

That being said here is my backfeed for PC EU nocp cyro

75% use at least 1 proc set
    75% are stamina
    75% are dps

most used class are:
    sDen, sNecro, sNB,mSorc, sSorc, mDen,

Most recent meta:
    for solo/duo
    3xprocs sNB
    3xprocs sSorc
    crimson+alessian sDen
    and mostly a variation of procs + heavy set for most others

Have fun !
    vvvvv
    "Opinions are like ***, everyone has one". Harry Callahan
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    systema555 wrote: »
    Most recent meta:
    for solo/duo
    3xprocs sNB
    3xprocs sSorc
    crimson+alessian sDen
    ...reads on ...
    Have fun !
    Uhm, how?
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Which explains why most ppl ccing a build might not perform as well as expected...

75% are stamina
    75% are dps

most used class are:

Most recent meta:
    for solo/duo
    3xprocs sNB
    3xprocs sSorc
    crimson+alessian sDen

Have fun !
    vvvvv

Alessian? I though it was crimson+syvarra on everything, everywhere, maybe crimson+ev+malubeth.
    I haven't come across a lot oh high hp regen builds.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

75% are stamina
    75% are dps

most used class are:

Most recent meta:
    for solo/duo
    3xprocs sNB
    3xprocs sSorc
    crimson+alessian sDen

Have fun !
    vvvvv

Alessian? I though it was crimson+syvarra on everything, everywhere, maybe crimson+ev+malubeth.
    I haven't come across a lot oh high hp regen builds.

With the up coming changes, expect to see more. Or at least builds that incorporate it more
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall it has been like 2 years or so since EU players learned to click spells on top of light attacks. But they will catch up, eventually.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Most recent meta:
    for solo/duo
    3xprocs sNB
    3xprocs sSorc
    crimson+alessian sDen
    ...reads on ...
    Have fun !
    Uhm, how?

Uh you throw said gear on and just have fun!
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    I recall it has been like 2 years or so since EU players learned to click spells on top of light attacks. But they will catch up, eventually.

Mostly PC EU meta for PvP is ahead of the other platforms. Normally you see builds fromm PC EU meta getting used more and more often on PC NA a few weeks or months after and even later on console.
  • aslancik12
    aslancik12
    ✭✭
    that's why na player never kill eu players :D do not understand me wrong.I am not meaning that they are noob.I just know that a burst and full agrasive sorc or dk or templar never could kill a player who builded eternal vigor + malubeth + pariah necro :disappointed:
    Edited by aslancik12 on October 28, 2020 1:35PM
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, let's be clear. No region is better or worse than any other. What works and doesn't work in your region is dependent on what other people are playing. That's basically what metagaming is; using out of game information to inform in-game decisions. If you know what kind of builds most people are running, you can build to counter that.

If you take a slow, defensive but tanky and combo-dependent build to another region that might favour speed and burst, you're probably gonna get swarmed and not be able to land combos because you can't catch anyone.

Likewise, if you take a speedy burst build to a slow and tanky meta where people stick together, you're going to have trouble killing anything and every time you engage, one stun and you're dead.

I don't even know what the meta truly looks like in regions other than PC EU. The only knowledge I have of other regions is from watching people like Fengrush or some of the console content creators. I respect all of them but I also notice things that work differently on PC EU.
    PC EU No CP PVP
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiomaro wrote: »
    I mean, let's be clear. No region is better or worse than any other. What works and doesn't work in your region is dependent on what other people are playing. That's basically what metagaming is; using out of game information to inform in-game decisions. If you know what kind of builds most people are running, you can build to counter that.

If you take a slow, defensive but tanky and combo-dependent build to another region that might favour speed and burst, you're probably gonna get swarmed and not be able to land combos because you can't catch anyone.

Likewise, if you take a speedy burst build to a slow and tanky meta where people stick together, you're going to have trouble killing anything and every time you engage, one stun and you're dead.

I don't even know what the meta truly looks like in regions other than PC EU. The only knowledge I have of other regions is from watching people like Fengrush or some of the console content creators. I respect all of them but I also notice things that work differently on PC EU.

EU PC is the epitome of meta. playstyles of valeraprogib or xyz, decimus, mayorz or that jaxaxa guy i recently talked about will work everywhere. thats a simple truth. the only reason why another build might work better on console is becouse ppl there doesnt give a *** about cookiecutter builds like we do and thus a glasscannon sorc build will get faster kills than an EU PC meta build. what is the meta ..... tanky builds especially healthstacking warden.