The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ridiculously high ping. Started today.

matthew.j.jaworskirwb17_ESO
I play from Australia and am used to high pings. This game normally sits on 280ms on average, while other games around 100ms to 130ms.

Today the ping has been fluctuating between 330 and 999+.

I did a internet speed test, no issues there: https://www.speedtest.net/result/10223926386.png

I also jumped in ESO right after playing another game with servers in NA and was getting a steady 103 to 110 ping the whole time.

This is an ESO issue.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    To help with your disconnections and ping issues, you can try the troubleshooting steps here and here which may improve your connection. If these do not help please let us know.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you closed the other thread and linked it to this completely unrelated report from Australia (perplexed), but I'll repeat it here as requested even though it probably just confuses this thread.

Like a bunch of people I'm seeing occasional sudden lag spikes this update. They are probably not local ISP spikes because several times the desync, sudden hit with 9 things at once was experienced by multiple people in the dungeon run at the same time - ie it's more likely server side. This was also PvE so it's not Cyrodil scaling or people using cheats. Otherwise the game ping was steady at 100-133. They are also sharp edged - it's 100-133, lag bomb, 9 simultaenous hits, died and back to normal a couple of seconds later.

Otherwise the current update has noticably improved random loading screens, and seems to have fixed some of the problems in Rimmen where the floor doesn't load for ages near the crafting hand in and you get stuck running on the spot.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • WastedJoker
    WastedJoker
    ✭✭✭
    Ping is pretty typical for me today. I'm in the UK and my ISP is BT.

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you closed the other thread and linked it to this completely unrelated report from Australia (perplexed), but I'll repeat it here as requested even though it probably just confuses this thread.

Like a bunch of people I'm seeing occasional sudden lag spikes this update. They are probably not local ISP spikes because several times the desync, sudden hit with 9 things at once was experienced by multiple people in the dungeon run at the same time - ie it's more likely server side. This was also PvE so it's not Cyrodil scaling or people using cheats. Otherwise the game ping was steady at 100-133. They are also sharp edged - it's 100-133, lag bomb, 9 simultaenous hits, died and back to normal a couple of seconds later.

Otherwise the current update has noticably improved random loading screens, and seems to have fixed some of the problems in Rimmen where the floor doesn't load for ages near the crafting hand in and you get stuck running on the spot.

Second that. My thread regarding the issue was also closed. Lags also started following the patch although the ping was completely stable before. Now the lags are in Cyro and PvE both. Unlike the OP author I live in Japan where a typical ping towards Virginia US would be 200.

I contacted the support via opening ticked - but it is useless, you can skip this step as once they run out of 1) open ports 2) contact your ISP 3) do tracert and pathping - they become silent and do not reply. I have been waiting for the last reply from the support 3 days already although previously they were answering within hours. I suppose they have nothing more to suggest and do not want to investigate the matter further.

Try doing pathping and tracert as they suggest and share the results. My educated guess is that there is some packet loss at Akamai. There are multiple threads blaming the stuff since quite a while [1], [2], [3] going as far as comparing playing via VPN and without (VPN that circumvented Akamai actually gave better ping, which is ridiculous).

Still, this does not answer why the lag rekindled after the patch. But I hope Zenimax now under Microsoft would pay more attention to its networking performance and usage of Akamai.
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    So, I suppose we won't get any support from Zenimax on this one? Quite interesting how their customer support starts simply ignoring you both via emails and forums once they do not know how to fix stuff. It would be even better if they simply admitted they did not know how to fix it instead of hoping everyone would simply stop caring and roll on.

So, moderators, we will have any input on the issue at all?
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings @Gardarik,

If you could provide us with your ticket number, we would be happy to check on its status for you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Adrikoth thank you, but the previous one (#201005-000645) is already marked as "Solved" although the closing remarks were: "If you have anymore questions, please reach back out to us and we will be happy to help.. So I replied but the ticket was closed. Anyway, that's not the issue. I opened a new one and will be opening tickets until I get at least efforts on behalf of the support team to merely investigate the issue instead of giving prepared in advance suggestions on forwarding ports which had been forwarded long before contacting the support last time.

The real issue is lag. I do realise there might be many factors influencing the lag but guys, please at least analyse the situation. Given numerous threads on reddit and here Stonethorn broke something connectivity-wise and lags became much-much worse, appearing even in PvE where things used to be ok. The whole thing with "improving the server" was just the words while in reality it got worse.
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    @Gardarik our records indicate that there has not been a reply to Ticket #201005-000645 since October 8th. If you could please try replying to our last response once again, this should re open the ticket for you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Adrikoth prompt reply is appreciated.

I do not even know what to think of the situation because I do not think that it is the fault of widely used Gmail.
    993rhh1jyfwy.jpg

I did reply on 9th soon after the reply and got no reply. I do not know if it is done intentionally or was an oversight. Still, any input on the forum side on what is the possible reason for lags?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gardarik wrote: »
    But I hope Zenimax now under Microsoft would pay more attention to its networking performance and usage of Akamai.

Just quickly pointing out that Zenimax Media will not be acquired by Microsoft until next year (2H FY2021, between April and September). Until then they are two separate companies and must act like it if they want to pass regulatory scrutiny. Microsoft has also explicitly said they do not have plans to change the way things are run after the deal closes, so hoping for a change from the top may unfortunately well be in vain.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play from Australia and am used to high pings. This game normally sits on 280ms on average, while other games around 100ms to 130ms.

Today the ping has been fluctuating between 330 and 999+.

I did a internet speed test, no issues there: https://www.speedtest.net/result/10223926386.png

I also jumped in ESO right after playing another game with servers in NA and was getting a steady 103 to 110 ping the whole time.

This is an ESO issue.

I'm having the same problem today in the european server.

I'm trying to play with a friend but we are both with ping between 300 and 999+

At my end I already tested 3 different routers, all tests on my system out of the game gave me less than 22, but on the game I'm always getting over 300.

Is there anything we can do at our end to solve this problem?
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    Some updates.

I have contacted ZOS support twice to no avail. Not to dub the message I will simply leave a link to the post in other topic related to alleged reason of the lags.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on October 25, 2020 1:55PM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some sympathy for them because I am sure a lot of lag problems are local ISP troubles but when it's biting people on the same dungeon simultaneously and we are in two different countries, ISPs and routes its a problem their end - whether with their hardware, their internet provision or just failing to properly manage server loads who knows.

Hopefully Microsoft will do something about the support situation, they do after all have a lot of expertise supporting problematic complicated software on a vast scale, and the tooling and methodology for it.

Too many toons not enough time