The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do You Want House Guests: Bards?

Raltin
Raltin
✭✭✭✭
It's time to kick it up a notch from music boxes... we've got house guests now, and with them a whole new opportunity for upping the quality of our various housing experiences... So now we find ourselves with the simple question: do we want bards?

If you answered "Yes!" then here's how they should work... unlike other house guests, which can be put into the new pathing system, the bards will need to be kept stationary, unable to walk around like other guests, to perform their jobs: playing music and singing. Bards will be based on the races and genders that sing their appropriate songs if required, E.G. female high elves to perform the bard songs that the bards in Summerset play, male and female versions of Khajiit to play the bard songs featured in Elsweyr, male and female Argonians to play vossa-Satls from their songs in Murkmire, etc. Bards who play instruments that feature no songs to accompany them, but are purely instrumental, such as flutes and drums, can be whatever race or gender the devs decide to feature them as, especially if they're simply playing base-game vanilla songs. Racial instruments that are unique to regions but have no accompanying vocals, like the Esraj for khajiit and the mire-drum for argonians, however, should still have argonian and khajiit players, etc, respectively.

The bards will function nearly identically to music boxes; and can be moved to different locations, and activated to play or rest (turn on or off) just like one would interact with varying other furnishings. Unlike music boxes, however, which only ever play a single song continuously on loop, the bards will continuously cycle through their various songs, playing instrumental or vocal versions of them as they see fit, just like they do outside of housing.

So how about it? Ever wanted to hear the bardic music in your own homes? Want that perfect touch to your player-made taverns, guild-halls, or simply a personal singer for your character's one-room shack?
"Proud purveyor of Cyrodiil Pickles."

Do You Want House Guests: Bards? 77 votes

Yes, Give Us Bards!
94%
lembry_ESOGilvothDarcyMardinopajLadyAstrumDanikathexentb16_ESOLauranaeSotha_Silstarlizard70ub17_ESOwsmith97ub17_ESOHamfastCoolBlast3MasterSpatulaInaMoonlightValgar0rDalsinthusRGvolterraLadyNalcaryaXDark_One13 73 votes
No, We Don't Want Bards!
5%
AlienSlofZer0_CooLDrathlyM_Volsung 4 votes
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Especially that lady from Rimmen near the provisioning station.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Instead of disabling pathing for them why not leave it up to the player? Make it so they can be set on a path but don't play while they're walking.

That way if you want your bard to stay in one spot and play continuously you can do that - just don't create a path for them, but if someone else wants their bard to wander around their custom tavern stopping to play for different groups, or simply take breaks from playing to do other things, they can set that up too.

This would also be a great time to add emotes (or animations for pets and mounts) to the pathing options. So for example your bard could be set to stop in one place and play, but then when they go over to the bar they're set to stand there and have a drink then go back to the fire and carry on playing.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Oh yes indeed as a practice dummy, I for sure definitely need a bard punching bag for sure.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Any new house npc is welcome, that way you don't have the same 8 people hanging around all your houses :) . But please have the bard play any normal ren faire type music loop instead of ,(heaven forbid), "Red Diamond" or "Sway When We Kiss".
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    While the music boxes do nullify the need, i still think some actual music from a bard would be damn cool to have as well, i would like it if it would work like the one in hearthfire did, can make him/her play different instruments or songs.

E.G stareyed bride of alinor, or the amusing cliff racer song from Vvardenfell.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why cant they play when walking? They do it in real life, people walk around all the time playing instruments and such.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    i want a large variety of guests to choose from, and the ability to give them armor and change their clothing and all kinds of options and even allow zombies and things of that nature.
    variety is the spice and what attracts the Gold.
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Danikat wrote: »
    Instead of disabling pathing for them why not leave it up to the player? Make it so they can be set on a path but don't play while they're walking.

That way if you want your bard to stay in one spot and play continuously you can do that - just don't create a path for them, but if someone else wants their bard to wander around their custom tavern stopping to play for different groups, or simply take breaks from playing to do other things, they can set that up too.

This would also be a great time to add emotes (or animations for pets and mounts) to the pathing options. So for example your bard could be set to stop in one place and play, but then when they go over to the bar they're set to stand there and have a drink then go back to the fire and carry on playing.

There's a problem with that though. The length of songs vary, and so just for bards, the housing system would been to be edited for the length of songs performed, rather than 30s, 1m, 3m, etc. This ties into another problem... songs played by bards vary depending on the client. One player might here one song that is 1m 5s while the other might hear a song that's 3m 10s... so the difficulty just ramps up exponentially when trying to path a bard. Using the normal pathing time intervals would cut many songs short of their mark, and using song-length oriented intervals wouldn't work because of the client-side registration and the differing lengths of the songs themselves. Bards would need their very own, highly specialized sub-type in the pathing system, which might be asking a bit much. Aside from that... some instruments just aren't meant to be carried around; like the vossa-satls.
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Why cant they play when walking? They do it in real life, people walk around all the time playing instruments and such.

See the above response.

• LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Yes, a bard houseguest would be a nice addition.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Yes.

Other than that all the restrictions you listed are just your opinion.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    "Toss a coin to your Vestige, oh Megaserver of Plenty!"
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Any new house npc is welcome, that way you don't have the same 8 people hanging around all your houses :) . But please have the bard play any normal ren faire type music loop instead of ,(heaven forbid), "Red Diamond" or "Sway When We Kiss".

But those are my favourite songs! I want them to play the bard songs. Not generic music™
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    While the music boxes do nullify the need, i still think some actual music from a bard would be damn cool to have as well, i would like it if it would work like the one in hearthfire did, can make him/her play different instruments or songs.

I see music boxes and bards as kind of like different versions of the same thing, appropriate for different settings.

I've got a music box in Mournoth Keep which I wouldn't replace with a bard because that house is set up as a private home for two of my characters and having a bard there would look very out of place. But if I had one of the big mansions or castles, or a house done up like a tavern then a bard performing live would be much more in keeping with the setting than just a music box.
    Raltin wrote: »

There's a problem with that though. The length of songs vary, and so just for bards, the housing system would been to be edited for the length of songs performed, rather than 30s, 1m, 3m, etc. This ties into another problem... songs played by bards vary depending on the client. One player might here one song that is 1m 5s while the other might hear a song that's 3m 10s... so the difficulty just ramps up exponentially when trying to path a bard. Using the normal pathing time intervals would cut many songs short of their mark, and using song-length oriented intervals wouldn't work because of the client-side registration and the differing lengths of the songs themselves. Bards would need their very own, highly specialized sub-type in the pathing system, which might be asking a bit much. Aside from that... some instruments just aren't meant to be carried around; like the vossa-satls.

I'm reasonably sure house guests are unique 'objects' in the game rather than an exact copy of existing NPCs. Which means ZOS are already going through a process of re-creating or editing them and so there's scope to make changes to allow for this.

One simple solution would be to make each bard only play one song. Even better IMO would be to give each a selection of songs and then let the player choose which one/s they play. (Either way this has the added advantage that if there's songs you don't like or which are inappropriate for your house theme you don't get them.)

We probably would need more pathing intervals, but that's also something I'd like for the existing pets, mounts and guests. Likewise adding the ability to choose songs could lead to adding the option to choose emotes for pathable characters to perform.

I'm not saying it would be quick and easy for ZOS and they could release bards that work this way today. But I think it's entirely possible to get them working well and it's better to do that - it will lead to happier players and more sales - than releasing some severely limited version which is just about ok for some uses and worthless in others, which is likely to lead to people who might have bought a better version skipping it entirely.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, We Don't Want Bards!
    I'll play any instrument in your house wearing a costume of choice for a price of 50k/h.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    I agree, @Danikat, both music boxes and bards would have their place — I know I would like to have both! :smiley:
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    I'll play any instrument in your house wearing a costume of choice for a price of 50k/h.

Ah, but thanks to ZOS not releasing them as emotes for players that loop, you cannot play the vossa-satl as it's stuck as a memento and doesn't actually play any of the bard songs, nor the Qanun from elsweyr, or even the pan flute. Let alone the fact player character's toons can't sing the songs they're playing. BigSad.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say no to Bard houseguests. Your neighbors will have them over, playing loud music into the night, wrecking your sleep. In the morning you will be all lethargic and your boss will look at you funny.
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!

I see music boxes and bards as kind of like different versions of the same thing, appropriate for different settings.

I've got a music box in Mournoth Keep which I wouldn't replace with a bard because that house is set up as a private home for two of my characters and having a bard there would look very out of place. But if I had one of the big mansions or castles, or a house done up like a tavern then a bard performing live would be much more in keeping with the setting than just a music box.
    Raltin wrote: »

I'm reasonably sure house guests are unique 'objects' in the game rather than an exact copy of existing NPCs. Which means ZOS are already going through a process of re-creating or editing them and so there's scope to make changes to allow for this.

One simple solution would be to make each bard only play one song. Even better IMO would be to give each a selection of songs and then let the player choose which one/s they play. (Either way this has the added advantage that if there's songs you don't like or which are inappropriate for your house theme you don't get them.)

We probably would need more pathing intervals, but that's also something I'd like for the existing pets, mounts and guests. Likewise adding the ability to choose songs could lead to adding the option to choose emotes for pathable characters to perform.

I'm not saying it would be quick and easy for ZOS and they could release bards that work this way today. But I think it's entirely possible to get them working well and it's better to do that - it will lead to happier players and more sales - than releasing some severely limited version which is just about ok for some uses and worthless in others, which is likely to lead to people who might have bought a better version skipping it entirely.

Indeed, but my point is that bards in-game function differently from other npcs. The 'objects' or house guests function somewhat similarly to the systems that the devs use to create their npcs pathings and interactions with the world. Bards in the overland of the game function very differently from the other npcs because, in order to do their job, AND because of the aforementioned client-side registration: they HAVE to remain stationary. This presents limitations within the system with what they're allowed to do... in order to make anything that you're suggesting to even remotely work... they'd have to create an entirely different pathing system SPECIFICALLY for the bards in housing, and it would be much more complicated than the pathing system we already have... that means they'd have to develop an entirely new system for bards, one that they haven't even developed for the bard npcs overland, which they can't bootleg off their original pathing systems like they did to give us our own housing pathing system for the normal house guests, animals, and mounts, JUST for these bards... Idk about you, but I don't think the devs are going to do that.

Secondly, I think making bard npcs that are spec'd into different genres already help with song choice... you get a high elf lutist, and the only songs she'll play are the bard songs in summerset.

Get a base game lutist, and the only songs he or she will play will be the original vanilla bard songs.

Get an argonian vossa-satl player, and they'll sing the murkmire bard songs, etc.

Already, by having that system, you KNOW what songs you're already getting, you just have to decide whether or not you like that set of bard songs. Talking with the bard and selecting which songs you want them to cycle through, and to play either the instrumental or vocal versions would merely be a luxury addition at that point, but it would welcomed nonetheless. It's possible, but i'm not sure if the devs will go that extra yard to make it possible.
    Edited by Raltin on October 16, 2020 1:30AM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only if it has the voice of Malukah and the model of an Alfiq. 😝
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Only if it has the voice of Malukah and the model of an Alfiq. 😝

I wouldn't buy that version, but i admit, it would be kinda funny.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, We Don't Want Bards!
    Argonian. Maid.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Not just any bards though. Guest musicians! For example, I'd buy a house bard voiced by Jack Black playing
    a few Tanacious D sounding songs regardless of the cost.
  • Maelstroa
    Maelstroa
    ✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    If pathing is something people feel is an issue for bards playing music, then how about Zo$ gives us the ability to add emotes to their patterns and cycles?
    If we can control when they play or preform certain actions (including pets and mounts) I feel like we could all get way more creative and housing would be so much more fun and lively.

Though we should still get more spaces for 'special furnishings' with houseguests and pets and mounts all taking up the same slots still..

More slots for furnishings in general.. *grumblegrumble*
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    I tend to like the idea that allows for pathing, as long as the bard is able to start playing quickly enough, perhaps also to strum a few notes when they are walking... it would then be up to us to set up their paths to allow them enough time to sing a song or two before moving on... I would even redo some of my houses to allow the bard to move between tables to "Play" for each...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Ooh, live box-less music o:)
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Maybe you could even pay them off (money sink) for special requests - songs that you have unlocked while playing the game, earning achievements etc.

Or even a small lump of gold for songs that wouldn't necessarily be political correct o:)
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Give Us Bards!
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »

I might take you up on that if bards aren’t available by the time I’ve completed setting up for my party in Sleek Creek! :lol: What server are you on and do you have a Khajiit who can play the esraj?
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love to have birds in my house!