The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Housing Wish List

WhiteScythe
WhiteScythe
✭✭✭
Here comes a little bit of a rant but here goes..

In other games with housing features I notice they have set "tiles" or "hooks" that you can place things down on. I honestly like this approach better, it's easier and much more satisfying. I really don't like the way ESO's housing "editor" works, I really really don't.

Please let us reset houses if we want to, like example Antiquarian's house.. I accidentally moved something and now I can't return it to where it was. Let us have a reset button for houses.

Allow our furnishings to be in a "storage" or something like the crafting bag, I hate seeing them clog up my inventory or my bank.

Not sure if I am just complaining idk just trying to think of things that would improve it.
NA-PC Daggerfall Covenant #dcforlife
WTB OCEANIC SERVER!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here comes a little bit of a rant but here goes..

In other games with housing features I notice they have set "tiles" or "hooks" that you can place things down on. I honestly like this approach better, it's easier and much more satisfying. I really don't like the way ESO's housing "editor" works, I really really don't.

Please let us reset houses if we want to, like example Antiquarian's house.. I accidentally moved something and now I can't return it to where it was. Let us have a reset button for houses.

Allow our furnishings to be in a "storage" or something like the crafting bag, I hate seeing them clog up my inventory or my bank.

Not sure if I am just complaining idk just trying to think of things that would improve it.

Just keep working with it and toggle surface align and you’ll get the hang of it! :) My first experience with MMORPG housing was SWTOR which had hooks and the first time I tried to hang a picture in an inn room, it ended up floating in mid-air! :lol: But now I could NEVER use a hook-based decorating system and loathe the constraints thereof! I like to place everything exactly as I wish and take a look at what others have done with the system, building entire structures and all sorts of things impossible with hooks!

There is an Undo button for if you move or pick-up something you did not intend or simply change your mind — and it goes back quite a few steps! That only works for immediately after though. Perhaps, until you get the hang of it, you may know someone experienced with the system whom you could give decorator privileges to who could make the changes you desire?

Feel free to ask questions — the housing community especially is very helpful! :smiley: I’m sure that once you get used to it, you’ll love the freedom of ESO housing!
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭

I think we all feel these pains, especially when starting out :)

I notice you're on PC-NA, which suggests you may be able to use add-ons. I heartily recommend, if that's the case, trying Essential Housing Tools ("EHT").

It has snap-to-grid, and you can *move and rotate the grid as you like*. Not quite "hooks" or "slots", but it can make placement easier.

Using rightclick to rotate objects to align to a surface, along with judicious use of toggling the [T] key to make them stay the correct distance away from surfaces, definitely helps, too.

The "Precise movement" system they added recently helps to reduce the pain of placing things, as well.

It has a save/load system. You can select all, or just a subset of the items, save them, and reinstate that saved state whenever you like. I used this recently in a housing contest, when I got my entry "perfect", but really wanted to see what it would look like with a couple different approaches, along the lines of "what if I made the whole room the other way round? Would that draw the eye better?" - with EHT, I could save it both ways, and switch between them in a moment, to compare them and pick the way I wanted it! I won the contest, and sent the winnings to the EHT devs.

It can also take a backup of your home every time you enter it.

For these features alone it's super valuable, but there are so very many more advanced features. It is well worth learning at least the selection save/load system, then playing with the other parts over time to learn them.

You get one free 30-slot storage chest from levelling up, and can buy seven more (3 with 30 slots, four with 60) storage chests (either from the crafting writ merchants for writ tokens, or from the crown store for crowns). Furniture in these chests, your bank, and your inventory, are all listed when browsing with [R] to place items.

That gives a total of up to 360 slots of chests (which can be much more than 360 pieces of furniture, since items stack in the chests even though they don't in your homes), plus up to 480 bank slots, plus up to 210 character inventory slots, for a total of 1050 stacked slots.

... and yet I agree, I still find that limit painful! :D I'd love a "furniture craftbag", even if it was ESO+ only!

Some of the free houses (inn rooms etc) can be used for storage of furniture, too, though they have low limits (only 30 unstacked slots without ESO+, double that with ESO+). When you enter the home, there's a button to just "place all items" from your inventory - not sure if this is a EHT thing or default behavior, but it looks a quick way to stash items. Haven't tried it yet, only noticed it yesterday.