The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

witches grab bag warning

markulrich1966
markulrich1966
✭✭✭✭✭
used a fairly new toon to buy 6 witches grab bags from the event merchant.
As I know most mementos, they drop stylepages (Hollowjack).

I know these already on my main toon, but not on the new one.
I can NOT place the bags in the bank to hand them over to my main toon, where they would no longer drop the stylepages I already know.

So do use your main toon to buy the boxes!

12 event tickets wasted, oh well... :(
Edited by markulrich1966 on October 22, 2020 3:59PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you mean style pages or motifs?

Hollowjack is a motif, not a style page? Motifs should be able to be put into a bank.

Stylepages are different; iirc can be put in guild bank, or mailed to someone, or sold. But can’t be put in your bank. And if you know them on your main, it means all alts know them as is account wide.

• Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boxes can't be banked, but the motif pages they drop can. Just open them and put the motif pages into the bank. Style pages are account-wide once learned, so it doesn't matter; non-bound style pages (not the ones you can buy with event tickets) can be traded with friends who can then trade them back to you if you want to store them on a different character.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised you cannot put the bags in the bank, as I assume the possible contents of the bag are assigned at purchase. Given that bags are no longer able to be purchased once you know everything.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 22, 2020 4:06PM
  • Maythor
    Maythor
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP already has them, so doesn't need them again .. their warning is to stop people gaining them needlessly on an account that already has access to them.

Definitely something you can overlook since Hollowjack are motifs and we're getting used to event pages being outfit styles
    Edited by Maythor on October 22, 2020 4:10PM
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    The boxes can't be banked, but the motif pages they drop can. Just open them and put the motif pages into the bank. Style pages are account-wide once learned, so it doesn't matter; non-bound style pages (not the ones you can buy with event tickets) can be traded with friends who can then trade them back to you if you want to store them on a different character.

it is like maythor wrote.

I know the style on my main, so have no use for them.
    But if I could place the bags in the bank, I could open them on my main. So they would no longer drop hollowjack pages, but something different.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or, if you are trying to get the Sun Dusk Reaper title for a character who doesn't know any hollowjack pages, open the bags on that character.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maythor wrote: »
    The OP already has them, so doesn't need them again .. their warning is to stop people gaining them needlessly on an account that already has access to them.

Definitely something you can overlook since Hollowjack are motifs and we're getting used to event pages being outfit styles

But if I could place the bags in the bank, I could open them on my main. So they would no longer drop hollowjack pages, but something different.
    Yes, sorry, that wasn't clear from your initial comment. A number of people on the PTS also complained that there was a possible chance to get nothing from a box and you could potentially waste your tickets. The "warning" should lead with some extra details, such as "The boxes will only have a chance to drop what is needed on the character you buy the boxes on. If you don't need/want Hollowjack, make sure to buy the boxes on a character that already knows the style as they can't be banked or traded."
    Edited by Troodon80 on October 22, 2020 4:24PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • novemberhhh
    novemberhhh
    ✭✭✭
    or just buy hollowjack motif pages since theyre super cheap on vendors
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Once you look to see what's inside the bags it's contents are already determined, assuming they work like RotW. Can you mail them to another player? If so you can send them to a friend and they can reject it and you can pick it up on any toon you want.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Once you look to see what's inside the bags it's contents are already determined, assuming they work like RotW. Can you mail them to another player? If so you can send them to a friend and they can reject it and you can pick it up on any toon you want.

The bags and their contents are bound, so they cannot be mailed.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

The bags and their contents are bound, so they cannot be mailed.

Well rip that idea, don't think it would've worked anyway.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you do them on your main crafter, to get the new pages and then do them again on alts
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is true, however an low level alt might not know an demora motif who is selling for 200 gold and can easy get this from the grab bag. So only doing this on your crafting main makes sense.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I distinctly remember reading in announcement that you should open each bag as soon as you buy it, otherwise, you have a chance of getting duplicates. so you not only want to buy them on your main, but you want to buy them one at a time, rather then in bulk.

becasue it seems that their contents are determined at the moment of purchase, even if you do not open them right away.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Khaleesi8688
    Khaleesi8688
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you get motifs from these bags, they are bound??? Was going to help a friend get them as I have no use for tickets and they are working on indrik feathers. Guess I should look on traders then....
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you get motifs from these bags, they are bound??? Was going to help a friend get them as I have no use for tickets and they are working on indrik feathers. Guess I should look on traders then....

No. The bags are bound, not the drops from them. Any motifs you get are regular motifs, and can be traded. However, you can't buy any grab bags on a character that has already learned all the motifs and has unlocked all the other items that may drop from them. If you buy a bag on a character that has not learned the motifs, those may drop, if that is what you want. However, I would consider it a waste of tickets, as the motifs and probably even the style pages will most likely be for sale at very low prices in guild stores by the end of the event.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will drop anything that you don't already know so make sure you're not on an alt
    Edited by volkeswagon on October 22, 2020 9:04PM
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they actually are not anymore. In fact, over the last few months (and I hunt for motif deals on a near-daily basis) I've seen very few of them. I myself managed to sell a few of my own for 5-6k each.

They used to be a bit of a blight back in 2017-2018, but this last year really dried up the supply somehow. Now Im wondernig how much this change is going to affect prices.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised you cannot put the bags in the bank, as I assume the possible contents of the bag are assigned at purchase. Given that bags are no longer able to be purchased once you know everything.

Possible, but unlikely.

As a general rule, the game "rolls" the contents of a container when you first open it. So, it's far more likely that the game is checking what items could drop from it at purchase time and then locking it out if there's nothing in there for you.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible, but unlikely.

As a general rule, the game "rolls" the contents of a container when you first open it. So, it's far more likely that the game is checking what items could drop from it at purchase time and then locking it out if there's nothing in there for you.

if you have everything in the bag - it doesn't allow you to purchase the bag at all

also, and this is a quote from and announcement https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/58951
    Be sure to open each bag and remove its items as soon as you acquire it (to avoid duplicate items from subsequent bags).
    sounds like "determined at purchase" to me
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    ALso,it only gives old items,not the new things,so don't buy them unless you need previous things,they tell you only certain items are in bag " For this event, a Grab Bag can contain Hollowjack Motif pages, the Skeletal Marionette memento, Apple-bobbing Cauldron fragments, and the Spectre Mask collectibles. "
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

Possible, but unlikely.

if you have everything in the bag - it doesn't allow you to purchase the bag at all

also, and this is a quote from and announcement https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/58951
    Be sure to open each bag and remove its items as soon as you acquire it (to avoid duplicate items from subsequent bags).

Sounds like the opposite to me. If it was determined at purchase, the warning wouldn't be to open it immediately, or the game would be able to track it (to some degree.) While, once you've obtained all the possibilities, it will spit out duplicates.

But, I'm not about to throw tickets at it with the intention of breaking it just to make sure.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible, but unlikely.

Sounds like the opposite to me. If it was determined at purchase, the warning wouldn't be to open it immediately, or the game would be able to track it (to some degree.) While, once you've obtained all the possibilities, it will spit out duplicates.

But, I'm not about to throw tickets at it with the intention of breaking it just to make sure.

I'm honestly not sure how your reasoning is working here. if its determined on being opened rather then on purchase, then why would it spit out the duplicates? especially since you literally cannot buy the bag once you own everything it contains. if you go to a vendor on a character that collected all of the pieces in it - the bag is red and unpurchaseable in the same way as account wide styles and feathers/berries cannot be purchased if you already have them or indrik they combine into.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The announcement also said that if you buy multiple grab bags, and by the time you open one, you have (from other sources) already consumed everything normally available in the bag, you would instead get a group repair kit. that seems more consistent with content determined at open.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying the box is trying to give your character a hollowjack page but you want to send it to another character in hopes of getting something else?

That is what it sounds like. It sounds like you are wanting to re-roll or at least not get a hollowjack page. Either way it should not work that way.
  • Enika
    Enika
    Soul Shriven

you mean super expensive ? check traders on EU , some idiots trying monopoly and prices are 90k + , new players are punished
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible, but unlikely.

I'm honestly not sure how your reasoning is working here. if its determined on being opened rather then on purchase, then why would it spit out the duplicates? especially since you literally cannot buy the bag once you own everything it contains. if you go to a vendor on a character that collected all of the pieces in it - the bag is red and unpurchaseable in the same way as account wide styles and feathers/berries cannot be purchased if you already have them or indrik they combine into.

I'm thinking that if it was actually tracking at the time of purchase, it would be able to check off those and lock down the purchase once everything had been obtained, and before you spent extra tickets, meaning no warning would be necessary.

So, if the goal is that you open the containers as you get them, it's because it will prioritize non-duplicate items, but once that's finished, it will spit out duplicates, rather than returning an empty container, and provoking complaints.

Like I said, I'm not inclined to try to waste tickets just to be sure, so I could absolutely be wrong about this, but that's my guess.
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was quite clearly explained in the Witches Festival announcement. They basically told us what would be in them, that if you knew everything in them you would not be able to buy them, and that you should open them as soon as you purchase them to avoid duplicates, as the item it contains is determined at the time of purchase. Furthermore in the instance that you do buy a few without opening them, and duplicates are created, when you open those duplicates, it will instead give you group repair kits. It would be important to note that because motifs are not account wide, if you know the motif on one toon and want the other items the grab bag contains, it would be a bad idea to open them on a toon that doesnt know the motif.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main couldn't even buy one
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    My main couldn't even buy one
    That is because you have all content in it, I assume the same is true for me.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.