The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Potatoe builds

vesselwiththepestle
vesselwiththepestle
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey,

in this burst meta I usually die in 3 seconds. I am used to playing attrition-style with tanky builds, but recently even on my Stamcro with 27k health I got bursted in seconds by several players. This is in no cp IC, battlegrounds and Cyrodiil. I guess I am not fast enough, my reaction not good. I tried my own builds, I tried so-called meta builds from youtube. I wasn't good before, but it was never THAT bad and I saw PROGRESS, thinking of me at least as an average player, not the deep bottom. Now it's like I am a total newbie again. Nothing works.

So what would be a good build right now for potatoes to actually have some fun in Battlegrounds and 1v1 or 1v2? I see many builds running around with MotP. I tried BotS, which should be similar, it didn't help at all, while in Cyrodiil group play it is a huge difference to wear BotS instead of a damage set. Is MotP that much stronger? Probably because everyone is running Stuhn's now?
1000+ CP
PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

in this burst meta I usually die in 3 seconds. I am used to playing attrition-style with tanky builds, but recently even on my Stamcro with 27k health I got bursted in seconds by several players. This is in no cp IC, battlegrounds and Cyrodiil. I guess I am not fast enough, my reaction not good. I tried my own builds, I tried so-called meta builds from youtube. I wasn't good before, but it was never THAT bad and I saw PROGRESS, thinking of me at least as an average player, not the deep bottom. Now it's like I am a total newbie again. Nothing works.

So what would be a good build right now for potatoes to actually have some fun in Battlegrounds and 1v1 or 1v2? I see many builds running around with MotP. I tried BotS, which should be similar, it didn't help at all, while in Cyrodiil group play it is a huge difference to wear BotS instead of a damage set. Is MotP that much stronger? Probably because everyone is running Stuhn's now?

Mark of the pariah is the best defensive set beyond wizard reposte below 68% health I believe. It is a really good setup for all builds.

In my opinion, tankiness comes in 2 forms. High armour and hots or high health regen and a larger health pool so I would say try eternal vigor jewellery and chest/legs with troll king and a magicka set and you will be able to recover much faster or try armour master back bar which I do on my magden.

I hope that helps and if you need any more help then jump into my discord or check my YouTube channel out.

Good luck!
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • Otiz
    Otiz
    ✭✭
    The meta is too bursty. Not worthile putting defensive sets on, believe me I have tried.

No skill ulti spam atm.

I didnt like the tank meta, but this is worse
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a total YOLO glass canon build. It's nice until everyone decides to ulti-dump on me as soon as I show up ... which is all the time .__.

Bottom line: I don't want to play a way I don't like just for the sake of staying alive. It's not play as you want then. I'd rather play the build that I want and accept my double-digit deaths in BG.
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve found Sorcs, mag and stam, to be the hardest hitting so far this patch. One dizzying swing that I often can’t see and then dawnbreaker or a free cast 6k plus frag and auto execute and it’s back to a loading screen. High mobility and also high health recovery I’ve found has mitigated some of the burst this patch.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Potato’s
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey,

That really only means this patch is working, right? People seemed to generally complain about the tank meta.

If you're playing solo, then IMO nothing beats playing a sorc or a nightblade. That hasn't changed in forever, more recent flavor-of-the-month classes notwithstanding. I don't play stamcro, but reading through another recent thread the class may be overrated.

Anyway, nothing really saves your life in PvP like experience and situational awareness. It's l2p. Building tanky without much damage isn't great. You'll still get killed. Sets like Pariah work on certain classes, such as magicka templar, but those are probably using the Master's destro staff to get their damage up. For stamcro, I don't know. Simply using a one hand and shield back bar counts for a lot.

That said, blocking slows you. I personally always gravitate towards higher movement playstyles and am currently wearing a Coward's Gear backbar on my stam DK. It's not something I have explored in depth - my main is a magblade - but it's one way to integrate high movement speed (and Major Protection) into (stam) classes that don't otherwise have an escape mechanism.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still see tons of unkillable players kiting crowds around, usually sorcs.
    Seems like the one potato build is a bow stamblade who needs full wep damage set to be on par with other classes who manage to keep 25+ hp and the same burst as full wep enchant 18k stamblade.

Edited by Tammany on June 26, 2020 6:37AM
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Otiz wrote: »
    The meta is too bursty. Not worthile putting defensive sets on, believe me I have tried.

No skill ulti spam atm.

I didnt like the tank meta, but this is worse

I actually find heavy armor and blocking way better than having to wear a defensive set, specially now that you can go full sturdy if you really wanted to. At least for the type of builds i enjoy playing.
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like them French fried potaters
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how well it would work in BG's but you could try doing the cheese that is going around in open world rn.

MagSorcs are wearing Thrassian Strangler, and doing insane damage. 18+ frags.
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've definitely gone a bit cheese with my sorc during the event. Pirate Skele, Caalurians, and New Moon.

Caalurians allows you to line up some really hard hitting burst when it procs. And since it follows the target, you can get kills while someone is kiting around corners and your curse goes off. Helps to reduce line of sight effectiveness.

Pirate Skele is great on Sorcs right now. Since healing is already reduced and Sorcs don't really need to use much healing to stay topped of with Crit Surge. And since it only procs on damage to your health, it only procs when you may need it. And then reduces the damage your shields take.

I think the hardest part is my only stun I am running is the Storm Atro and the Meteor (only for players who aren't as good at blocking). But a well time Atro can end a fight. And there is nothing more satisfying than dropping a Meteor on a pet and stunning an entire group of players because the pet can't block.

But I don't run pets, so I will take all of the cheese I can get.
    Edited by jaws343 on June 26, 2020 4:49PM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I experimented with some sets. Wearing Pariah on Mag DK helped a bit, but then I discovered how easy and strong Magplar is. I guess I'll focus on that for now, I can easily survice and burst down anything in front of me. I am wearing Stuhn's + Swift + Valkyn.

It's just sad, as DK is my main and I would prefer to play that, but I guess if it's no fun for me in this patch I'll stay with classes which are easier to play. It's just insane what you get on Magplar. I've never played it until now because my Magplar was in the wrong Alliance.

On Stamina classes I think right now I am too slow to get Dizzy swing connected and to survive ion medium armor, although I haven't tried Malubeth and Pariah on Stam classes, yet. I will give that a try, else I'll stay on my heavy armor builds.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on June 27, 2020 2:13PM
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I experimented with some sets. Wearing Pariah on Mag DK helped a bit, but then I discovered how easy and strong Magplar is. I guess I'll focus on that for now, I can easily survice and burst down anything in front of me. I am wearing Stuhn's + Swift + Valkyn.

It's just sad, as DK is my main and I would prefer to play that, but I guess if it's no fun for me in this patch I'll stay with classes which are easier to play. It's just insane what you get on Magplar. I've never played it until now because my Magplar was in the wrong Alliance.

On Stamina classes I think right now I am too slow to get Dizzy swing connected and to survive ion medium armor, although I haven't tried Malubeth and Pariah on Stam classes, yet. I will give that a try, else I'll stay on my heavy armor builds.

Magplar better than DKs right NOW? Am I reading this right? >___>
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magplar better than DKs right NOW? Am I reading this right? >___>

Nope, I met one (1) solo magplar in last N hours and amount of magDKs with Grothdarr.... literally on every crossroad you can meet one.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, pariah is great on back bar for defense, add a damage set like new moon or spell strategist, throw in a master destro, and you have really good burst as well as strong survivability. Seems like this type of setup would be great on most, if not all mag toons. Oh, and don’t forget blood scion, the zerg buster ; )
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if Solo magDK are so strong with players with slow reaction you might share those builds. For me it seems MagPlar is working better. I can connect Jabs easier than Whip, Toppling Charge is great to proc Stuhn's, I've got consistent self heal through Jabs, I've got a very good execute and I don't need to keep so many buffs up...

If there is an easy to use build for mag DK with which you can survive please share. I am VERY interested. I tried Elf Bane + Grothdar, it didn't work for me. I can only talk about my experiences here.

This is all non cp, also.
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if Solo magDK are so strong with players with slow reaction you might share those builds. For me it seems MagPlar is working better. I can connect Jabs easier than Whip, Toppling Charge is great to proc Stuhn's, I've got consistent self heal through Jabs, I've got a very good execute and I don't need to keep so many buffs up...

If there is an easy to use build for mag DK with which you can survive please share. I am VERY interested. I tried Elf Bane + Grothdar, it didn't work for me. I can only talk about my experiences here.

Jabs easier to connect then whip? You are probably of those lucky people, who don't have abysmal lag, skill delay etc. Of course it is better not to play at all when delay/lag becomes unbearable, but there is always borderline zone between half-empty server and peak hour... and in that zone instant cast abilities are working much better then cast time/channeled, at least for me.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially skill delay and lag is bad for whip. When an enemy is just a bit to the side instead of where you see him you won't be even able to cast whip, although you are pointing right at the enemy.

Or when you fossilize someone you have to look down right at him, not in front of you, to be able to cast whip.

With Jabs I just have to aim roughly in the direction of the enemy compared to whip. Much easier to use for me. Your experience might differ.

I guess it's different for good players, but I am not a good player, I try to keep up to be in the middleground. That's why I am asking for potatoe builds.

Also I have Jabs often enough on my death recap on my Magplar. I just tried Elf Bane + Grothdar + Malacath + Master's staff for fun in my low mmr BG's (where somehow you always have 1-3 superior players who dominate the BG), noone seemed to be impressed by Grothdar and those who died to my Whip were mostly just standing there or in real bad gear I could have killed with heavy attacks. I really don't know what to do with Mag DK. I am thinking of switching back to Stam DK, but it will be a pita in pve, then.
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially skill delay and lag is bad for whip. When an enemy is just a bit to the side instead of where you see him you won't be even able to cast whip, although you are pointing right at the enemy.

Or when you fossilize someone you have to look down right at him, not in front of you, to be able to cast whip.

With Jabs I just have to aim roughly in the direction of the enemy compared to whip. Much easier to use for me. Your experience might differ.

I guess it's different for good players, but I am not a good player, I try to keep up to be in the middleground. That's why I am asking for potatoe builds.

Also I have Jabs often enough on my death recap on my Magplar. I just tried Elf Bane + Grothdar + Malacath + Master's staff for fun in my low mmr BG's (where somehow you always have 1-3 superior players who dominate the BG), noone seemed to be impressed by Grothdar and those who died to my Whip were mostly just standing there or in real bad gear I could have killed with heavy attacks. I really don't know what to do with Mag DK. I am thinking of switching back to Stam DK, but it will be a pita in pve, then.

Well, I certainly doesn't pretend to be a good player :D I just share what I see from my experience, and well, jabs in lag this is something special (same as dizzy). It's like you hit standing (blocking or feared target) and damage happens few seconds later if happens at all. I had 1v1 with stamden day ago, at some point we just stopped moving and stood against each other, he spamming dizzy and I jabs and damage was simply not registering in 65% of cases.... we just lold and complained about event and went different ways after that.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    What’s BotS?
    I know that I really like pariah on my stamcro. With new moon and balorgh, it’s very well balanced. 5 med 2 heavies.
    Edited by Swomp23 on October 5, 2020 4:39AM
    XBox One - NA
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont run epf bane. Im not a dk but its

Grothdarr + overwhelming, using overwhelming and DK passives for sustain.

For Stamcro I thought you stacked proc dots with Malacath and the +10% dot damage
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Add Thunderbug a lightning staff with wall of element end become a NB mosquito trap ....

Much enjoyment ...

Edited by Vanzen on October 5, 2020 9:23AM
  • Concrete
    Concrete
    ✭✭✭
    No 'E' on potato
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t play fair.
    Be a ganker. Gank when they ride to keep. Gank when they siege.
    Ruin everyone’s day.

Or join zerg and trample everything in your path. With this you can use pve build.
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most potato build possible would be to just go full on tank. Get yourself massive hp and armor and join a zerg. Tanks have huge amounts of passive defense that doesn't require reflexes or action. Your job is to just be another number in the zerg and stand on flags/use siege weapons. When your in trouble you can just hold block and let your zerg run people over. Best when played on the faction that has the most people online. You can easily kill other potatoes and pvers because the passive power of being a tank is higher then the average build a potato looks up online. Those builds actually require input and some degree of reflexes.

A dang tank that literally just stands still and blocks takes longer to kill then a decent player that is actually fighting back. That is why I believe that the tank is the best build for potatoes who truly cannot do anything in pvp. Eventually you may even get good at it and be able to throw out some damage. Become so tanky that even a zerg will struggle to put you down.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • BangX
    BangX
    ✭✭✭
    Put all points into health, stack health recovery and wear any 2 proc sets with malacath, stamden or stamcro for even more potatoe.
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most potato build possible would be to just go full on tank. Get yourself massive hp and armor and join a zerg. Tanks have huge amounts of passive defense that doesn't require reflexes or action. Your job is to just be another number in the zerg and stand on flags/use siege weapons. When your in trouble you can just hold block and let your zerg run people over. Best when played on the faction that has the most people online. You can easily kill other potatoes and pvers because the passive power of being a tank is higher then the average build a potato looks up online. Those builds actually require input and some degree of reflexes.

A dang tank that literally just stands still and blocks takes longer to kill then a decent player that is actually fighting back. That is why I believe that the tank is the best build for potatoes who truly cannot do anything in pvp. Eventually you may even get good at it and be able to throw out some damage. Become so tanky that even a zerg will struggle to put you down.
    You just describe 90% of EP on PCNA.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harbinger tank and werewolf hands down 2 of the easiest builds ever conceived in this game, harbinger tanks areliterally unkillable by a small group and when you see a group of these builds its literally suicide to attack them. Werewolf is just thumbless 1 bar cheese, you can run around with 35k health plus putting out huge damage for what’s essentially a tank and is the ultimate zerg pug playrs build, in the IC this has caused the risk/reward system to just go out the window with nearly every one not a night blade running one.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swomp23 wrote: »
    What’s BotS?
    Buffer of the Swift.

I recently played Werewolf. I don't like it, it is not the way I like to play, but it is strong. I ran Prisoner's rags, Eternal Vigour, Chudan. I am thinking of switching out Chudan for 1 Domihaus + Malacath, though. 37k resistances felt like overkill.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on October 13, 2020 9:51AM
    1000+ CP

Give me my wings back!