The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can I convert ESO from physical to digital?

BleedMe_AnOcean
BleedMe_AnOcean
✭✭✭
Hello, all. This may be a dumb question, but here goes nothing.

I have the physical edition of Elder Scrolls Online: One Tamriel edition for PS4. I purchased the expansions digitally through the PlayStation Store, but I've decided to make the switch to full digital with PS5 on the horizon. I'm just not sure how to do it.

I *think* I just need to purchase the base game through the PlayStation store, but I'm not sure if the expansion purchases will transfer or if I need to purchase those again, too.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you just need to buy the digital version of the base game then you'll be all set, bonus is that the digital version takes up less space than disk version.

Edit to add that you do need to redownload the whole game, because the version you have installed is the disk version. So you have to delete that then download the digital version.
    Edited by ApostateHobo on September 30, 2020 1:38PM
    Answer ✓
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup expansions are all account linked! I did the same thing last year on ps4, so I for sure know that it works haha
    Answer ✓
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this will help at all, but I started off with the digital base game (Xbox), then purchased the physical Morrowind upgrade at which point I required the disk to play the game. Subsequent purchases have all been digital and I do not require a physical copy of the game to play anymore.

So while I can't speculate about base-game purchasing in digital, I would expect that buying a digital upgrade would allow you to forgo a disk.
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried it. Still requires the disk to play. I've purchased all the upgrades digitally and only the base game as a physical copy, so I guess that's the issue.

I have no issues with purchasing the base game again as a digital copy, but if it "associates" the upgrades with the physical one and won't let me attach them to a new digital copy... well, that would just be annoying.
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you just need to buy the digital version of the base game then you'll be all set, bonus is that the digital version takes up less space than disk version.

Edit to add that you do need to redownload the whole game, because the version you have installed is the disk version. So you have to delete that then download the digital version.

This is what I'm doing now. It's $7.99 for the base game right now so... totally worth it.

I assume expansions (Summerset, etc.) are attached to my account?
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What if you have the ‘Any Race, Any Alliance’ version? Would I then have to purchase that AGAIN in the crown store?

And would I really have to delete then re-load the digital game? Why?
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of that is attached to your account. I'm doing it now so I'll let you know. I legit have everything except base game digital.

To answer the other question... it's product licenses, I assume. If you want to use the digital license, you have to delete the physical copy (and license attached to it) first. Even after purchase, I couldn't play the game without the disk, and I couldn't "download" the digital license.

It's aggravating, but it's an hour and a half, so it isn't the end of the world.
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update... everything works and nothing was lost.

Thanks for your help!
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the disk for ESO years ago on Xbox but ESO is on Gamepass so you don't need the disk if you have Gamepass for xbox just thought I would share that too.
    Edited by RebornV3x on October 1, 2020 4:06AM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might misunderstand, but there is only three versions of the game. PC/Mac, Xbox, and PS. If you own the game (rights to play it on a platform) then that is all you need.

When PS5 ships and Zos releases the update for PS5 you should only have to update your current client.

In other words, I am pretty sure you do not have to buy the game again and the "physical edition" was just a mode to sell the game and in the end is no different than if you had purchased the game digitally.
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I might misunderstand, but there is only three versions of the game. PC/Mac, Xbox, and PS. If you own the game (rights to play it on a platform) then that is all you need.

When PS5 ships and Zos releases the update for PS5 you should only have to update your current client.

In other words, I am pretty sure you do not have to buy the game again and the "physical edition" was just a mode to sell the game and in the end is no different than if you had purchased the game digitally.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. If you buy the physical version of the base game, it comes with a physical license for only that product, so you can't play without the disk.

The good news here is that the digital version of the base game is currently on sale for $7.99, and because all the expansions and "extras" I bought (Any Race, Imperial, etc.) are attached to my account, all I had to do was buy the digital base game, delete the physical data from my console, and then reinstall the digital version.

Is it clunky and unnecessary? Absolutely.

But that's Sony for ya. 😂😂😂
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ta for replies to my additional questions - but still slightly unsure as my base game disc includes the ‘any race etc’ bit so not sure if I change to base game digital (no digital versions include ARAA) that would still be included?

(Have noticed that when look at ARAA in crown store it doesn’t show up as having been purchased, hence my uncertainty)
    Edited by Hallothiel on October 1, 2020 2:29PM
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    Any Race is an "extra" whether or not it was included in the base game (I didn't know that was even a thing) and afaik, all the extras attach to the account.

But since it doesn't show purchased, I'm honestly not sure. If it were me, I'd contact support and ask them. Maybe if it isn't something that would convert, they can "make it so" for you?