The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Steam and ESO

SalamanNZ
SalamanNZ
✭✭✭
Hi.

I dont have ESO from Steam but i was gifted money to spend on Steam and was planning on buying crowns. My question is. Are crowns bought on steam able to be used to purchase items if you dont have ESO steam version?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way is to link your ESO account to your Steam account, @SalamanNZ ... and then log in to ESO through the Steam client.

Keep in mind you'll have to purchase the base game on Steam first.

Given the rough history players have had with Steam, linking your account is an important decision.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on September 24, 2020 4:52AM
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    The only way is to link your ESO account to your Steam account, @SalamanNZ ... and then log in to ESO through the Steam client.

Keep in mind you'll have to purchase the base game on Steam first.

Given the rough history players have had with Steam, linking your account is an important decision.

This.

I wouldn't do it. It isn't worth the hassle.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't link your account to steam...I love steam but it's bad news.

I had to re-purchase the game to unlink it from steam. You don't want to go down this route.

Edited by Raideen on September 24, 2020 4:46PM
  • arunt
    arunt
    If by gifted money to spend on Steam, you mean you have funds in the Steam wallet, then sure, go ahead with Steam purchases.

Otherwise, directly buying from ESO website would be better, as others have mentioned.
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    I've linked my steam account for ages to use wallet funds..

Not sure why people would want to unlink their steam account, but i've been able to log in with both eso account details and steam ever since.

A few years ago there were login issues i guess, quite noticeable downtime, but since coming back early this year i haven't had any bad experiences from using steam.

Oh wait.. if the ridiculous loading time at the beginning before the characters show up and then between zones.. ie, loading time where the hdd light isn't active... if that's got to do with steam authentication please let me know. The loading times are much worse than any time previously ive played.
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've linked my steam account for ages to use wallet funds..

Not sure why people would want to unlink their steam account, but i've been able to log in with both eso account details and steam ever since.

A few years ago there were login issues i guess, quite noticeable downtime, but since coming back early this year i haven't had any bad experiences from using steam.

Oh wait.. if the ridiculous loading time at the beginning before the characters show up and then between zones.. ie, loading time where the hdd light isn't active... if that's got to do with steam authentication please let me know. The loading times are much worse than any time previously ive played.

Have been playing only since end of february and there have been at least two occasions where Steam players couldn't play on the update day while everyone else could since then. The issues clearly aren't thing of the past still. Also had to get rid of Avast antivirus, which I've been using for years with no issues, since it simply hated Steam and wouldn't play nicely with it more than week or two in a row no matter what I've tried (updates wouldn't install, game wouldn't start, login wasn't accepted, exceptions set for Steam and only Steam would randomly get deleted or - even worse - ignored ...). Would have gotten the game directly from ESO website if given the choice again.
  • robrou19
    robrou19
    ✭✭
    Never had any issues with ESO and Steam, maybe I've been lucky.

Since Launch on Steam platform, everything has worked the way it's suppposed to, for me anyway. As long as your Steam account is linked to your ESO account you should be able to use crowns.
    "Too many games , too little time......"
  • arunt
    arunt
    arunt wrote: »
    If by gifted money to spend on Steam, you mean you have funds in the Steam wallet, then sure, go ahead with Steam purchases.

Otherwise, directly buying from ESO website would be better, as others have mentioned.

An update on this. I bought 750 crowns on Steam, as an experiment really, because Steam prices are 20% cheaper in my region.

Unfortunately, I still haven't recieved my crown 2 days later. I have got a (seemingly automated) mail from support saying to wait 24-72 hours from the purchase. I guess I will wait 1 more day before updating the ticket. I am sure it will be resolved, but if I needed the crowns immediately, I would have been very unhappy.

Seems my initial hunch was correct - Steam is fine if using it gives you some savings, but otherwise buy from ESO directly.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players reporting delays on getting their Crowns are in one of two categories, @arunt:

- Using a non-standard form of payment (such as Paypal) ... i.e. not a credit card, OR

- Players not updating their billing address to match their residence address after moving.

Are you in one of these groups?

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 5, 2020 9:07PM
  • arunt
    arunt
    Most players reporting delays on getting their Crowns are in one of two categories, @arunt:

- Using a non-standard form of payment (such as Paypal) ... i.e. not a credit card, OR

- Players not updating their billing address to match their residence address after moving.

Are you in one of these groups?

@Taleof2Cities I paid using a credit card, and the same card that I used to successfully pay for ESO using Paypal (from ESO site itself) for the last 2 months. I doubt if I can do anything about this. In my ESO account page, it clearly shows that the account is linked. And when I log in using the Steam launcher, it also logs me into the correct ESO account automatically.

It is out of my hands now. Only support can fix this. Almost 4.5 days and still no crowns.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It could prove useful to someone else.

UPDATE: Support added the 750 crowns to my ESO account, so this is resolved.

UPDATE 2: Just added an ESO Plus subscription to my account via Steam, and immediately got the crowns. So I guess I am good for the future now :smile:
    Edited by arunt on October 7, 2020 5:03AM