The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can I craft a Master writ on 1 toon, and upgrade it on a 2nd?

neiljwd
neiljwd
✭✭✭
So Character A crafts a Sword.
Character B upgrades it to legendary, banks it,
Character A turns it in?
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it has changed, the character that accepts the master writ has to turn it in.

Found that out when I accidentally accepted a masterwrit for Orcrest Pale Agony Ale on my crafter who DID NOT have the recipe learned yet.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @JKorr is correct. Tried to do the same with a character that made a food and tried to turn it in on another.
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you both missed the OP point. Craft with A, improve with B, turn in with A. I have never tried it. Sounds like something to test :)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like you both missed the OP point. Craft with A, improve with B, turn in with A. I have never tried it. Sounds like something to test :)

Gotta confess, never tried doing exactly that with a writ. But when you craft something, it lists your character's name as making it. Improving it does not change that (did it with Hundling's gear once). Assumed that's what prevent you from buying gear or crafted items from guild trader and turning them in for a writ. But hey, could be wrong.
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭

Gotta confess, never tried doing exactly that with a writ. But when you craft something, it lists your character's name as making it. Improving it does not change that (did it with Hundling's gear once). Assumed that's what prevent you from buying gear or crafted items from guild trader and turning them in for a writ. But hey, could be wrong.

You are correct that the item has a flag with the crafting character's name attached, which is why the example you gave (of food) would not work. And it is there so that people can not buy it off the auctions and turn it in, as you suggested. I guess I am curious enough that I am going to have to give this a try :)
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to find out
    Craft something then upgrade it to green on another toon then read the item info to see which character name is listed as the creator. As long as the creator matches the one who started the writ it should work.
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    For those who are curious, I just tried it. Crafted with A. Improved with B. Turned in with A. It *does* work.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    good to know but one would think someone who would learn motifs and research on one toon would also invest the skill points to upgrade. In 4 years I've never run across that issue. I often move gear from my alts to my crafter to upgrade but never do master writs on my non crafter. I assume you accidentally started the writ on the wrong toon?
    Edited by volkeswagon on September 30, 2020 10:25PM
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    good to know but one would think someone who would learn motifs and research on one toon would also invest the skill points to upgrade. In 4 years I've never run across that issue. I often move gear from my alts to my crafter to upgrade but never do master writs on my non crafter. I assume you accidentally started the writ on the wrong toon?

The OP did not give any context. So my test was more out of curiosity. I am not sure why anyone would want to do it that way unless, as you said, they started a writ on the wrong character.
  • neiljwd
    neiljwd
    ✭✭✭

The OP did not give any context. So my test was more out of curiosity. I am not sure why anyone would want to do it that way unless, as you said, they started a writ on the wrong character.

Thank you for the Test, and it works great to know!

The context as you seem to be a curious individual @MoonlightShadow is that I'm a returning launch player and skill points on my main are at a premium with all the new skill lines, but I do have 10/10 in crafting lines, but NOT the skill points in upgrading Items. So I want the achievements (for 100 master writs) on my main, but upgrading items without the skill points is expensive, so upgrading on an alt is cheap,then turning in on my main gets the achievement progress. Cheers!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neiljwd wrote: »

Thank you for the Test, and it works great to know!

The context as you seem to be a curious individual @MoonlightShadow is that I'm a returning launch player and skill points on my main are at a premium with all the new skill lines, but I do have 10/10 in crafting lines, but NOT the skill points in upgrading Items. So I want the achievements (for 100 master writs) on my main, but upgrading items without the skill points is expensive, so upgrading on an alt is cheap,then turning in on my main gets the achievement progress. Cheers!

Personally, I'd just suggest waiting until you get a dozen or so master writs (maybe more). Go respec your main, paying the 10k or so gold, to put the points in the upgrade passives. Do and turn in all the writs and respec back. Would save a lot of time. But that's just me.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • neiljwd
    neiljwd
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, thats 10k to save the time of 2 logouts. Not worth it to me, especially with the hassle and time of respeccing.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For those who are curious, I just tried it. Crafted with A. Improved with B. Turned in with A. It *does* work.

Good to know. So its the "crafted by" name that counts.