The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why "Mooncalf" for Stam recovery?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The name, I mean. I thought it was a weird term so I looked it up, and it means either a monstrous deformed thing OR is slang for someone who's dim-witted or foolish. That was all I could find. Is there some other usage I'm not aware of that explains why it's the name of the CP trait for stamina recovery?
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by mairwen85 on September 30, 2020 9:04AM
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mooncalf is the god of long distance running worshipped by the ancient joggers of the Maim Dynasty. So called, from the shape the calf develops in to from running for long periods of time.

or so I've heard

:#
    Edited by barney2525 on September 30, 2020 9:10AM
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it is weird but it most likely comes from the Morrowind passive of the same name https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Birthsigns
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • lozq
    lozq
    ✭✭✭
    Finally an etymology question on here!

Mooncalf is an old English term for a malformed or stillborn fetus, human or (more usually) animal. It alludes to the old superstition that the phase/colouration of the moon and other objects of astrological significance could predict or impart various qualities to people - [snip].

Mooncalf in TES3 was the blessing of the Serpent constellation, which increased your Agility by 25 pts - this fits, as Stamina Recovery is probably as close as we get in ESO to such an attribute. The other power imparted by the Serpent in TES3 was the power to, once a day, paralyze an enemy but at the cost of draining your own stamina significantly. Only one other birthsign in TES3 has a kiss/curse affect, the Atronarch, which is interestingly enough called 'Wombburn'. Hence Mooncalf is a delightfully obscure reference to the birthsign 'deforming' those born under it, by giving them a useful power that also cripples them when they use it.

:D

[edited for real world religion]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on September 30, 2020 12:43PM
    Quinnine | Tankblade | PC NA
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @lozq Thank you SO MUCH. That is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for and it's fantastic! I love etymology a little more than I love lore so when the two clash it aggravates me, but when they mesh... <3