The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Box of Gray Host Pillage drops

jlb1705
jlb1705
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me - when these drop from world bosses and harrowstorms, is it RNG-based, or is it like the Anniversary Event where the top X% DPS get the box?
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    Nevermind, got my answer by spamming bow light attacks at a world boss and still getting the drop. I was going nuts unloading everything I had at like eight WBs in a row and getting nothing. I never have any trouble getting Anniversary Boxes so wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there might be a time-based limit, like 1 box every 15 minutes or something like that, but I'm not sure. I know you can get boxes by farming nodes, so I've been grabbing nodes whenever I see them, but if I get a box in a node then it's going to be another 10 or 15 minutes before I get another box-- and that includes boxes that drop from bosses. So if I get a box from a node and then 2 minutes later I help stop a harrowstorm, I won't get a box from the boss.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a cooldown timer
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    There is a cooldown timer

Weird, I'm camping one WB in particular and I'll go several clears in a row without getting one and then a few in a row where I do. Either way, as long as it's not tied to DPS it's cool. I just didn't want to waste my time camping a WB that's super crowded where my chance for a drop depends on whether my skills even fire.
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, just got the drop at two WB spawns in a row, 5 mins. apart.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think there's a cooldown, but I'm not sure about that, nor about how long it is. And I don't know if the cooldown applies to everything or not.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlb1705 it's a cooldown timer on top of RNG. So you can’t get during the cooldown (except from daily turn ins) and after cooldown ends any of the drop sources has a strong chance of dropping.
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on a heater now... 5 drops in a row, 5 mins apart each.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the stopwatch function on my iPad's Clock app to see how often I'm finding reward boxes while running around farming nodes, looting chests, and killing things.

The typical interval seems to be every 6 minutes or so, which suggests a 5-minute cooldown after which RNG takes over.

My longest interval between drops was 19 minutes, which felt more like 30. :)