The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Necro tether

precambria
precambria
✭✭✭✭✭
With the plentiful selection of tether type spells that attach to their target so you can drag them through things and use positioning as a skill mechanic, when will necro tether attach to their target instead of the ground so that it will be useful on targets other than NPCS, (it ticks on players for NO dmg and it's basically designed to work against the user, having skill mechanics on spells is cool but make them worth the trouble) line of sighted by any tiny rock in a field doesn't exactly scream "powerful necromancer". They have the passive for dots and NO class dot that you can reliably use in PvP, making a beamcro with soul assault vamp drain and dots would be a really fun playstyle but it ends up just being not good and better on other classes despite it fitting with the necromancer archetype that exists in most D&D inspired games.

It's fine that some spells have mitigating factors built into them, but not when there are versions that don't, how does it make sense to have necro stun be the most avoidable stun when streak exists, or fossilize, necro kit has a lot of "advanced mechanics" on their spells which is fine but they need to be stronger than their counterparts to make up for it and as it stands they are inferior before and after accounting for how much more difficult they are to employ. When was the last time mystic tether hit for the 9k recaps I am seeing of fletcher flies, all the tools magcro specifically needs are in other classes kits, you cannot have a immobile caster be this weak and I realize there is a fine line that could be crossed into making them OP, at least make them more fun.
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those things you need to be careful with. Tether skills have a lot of problems targeting things in PvE. This is why Zaan isn't used on various bosses. In theory this has been fixed on the latest PTR, but I've done no testing to confirm that. But tethers likely need to work how they do currently simply to avoid this problem.

That said, I'm in 100% agreement with you. The Necro tether skills should be between the corpse and the target or between the Necro and the target. By this I mean Siphon should attach the enemy to the corpse and mortal coil would remain as it is right now. A change like this would instantly make these skills at least functional in PvP and given Necros in general don't have much in the way of damage (especially Mag), this would be enormously helpful.

I do wonder if Mystic Siphon would continue to restore mag if the link is between the corpse and target though. If you do it as you mentioned and the link is between the necro and the target, it could still return mag I suppose.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would mostly be really fun to play with lol
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the tether mechanic was ultra dumb and necro has two virtually identical versions of that stupid skill that locks you down to a location. healing and damage being the only difference, that could honestly be different morphs. I think one of the skills should be changed to teleport you to a corpse (like NB's shade). give necro's at least a tiny bit of mobility.

Come on Zos we know you can be more original than this, we believe in you.