The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Advice on dealing with frost wardens?

Epicgamertag199
Epicgamertag199
Soul Shriven
Ever since the Imperial City event I've been hooked on running the IC districts, but one thing I'm consistently getting crushed by is frost magwardens.

First off, I play a 2H/Bow stamblade and therefore prefer to be up close in melee range. My bow bar is mainly buffs/heals, with a poison DoT and Barrage ult.

Particularly, I'm struggling with the combo of arctic blast and permafrost surrounding them, thereby chilling me, reducing movement speed and damage done while also ticking for around ~700-1000dps combined. Throw on gap closers like critical rush followed by dizzying swing and there's just no getting away and no staying close. With the huge AoE there's no stealthing away to get into bow range, and even if I do then they just close the gap again. The only success I've found to have is from big, full-kit ganks bursting them down before it's too late.

I'm running Balorgh's, Briarheart and Stuhn's. At this point I'm tempted to toss on a cold resistant glyph or two on my jewelry just to survive the AoE and make it a more-normal melee v melee fight.

Any tips are welcome :smiley:
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Immovable pots and avoid. Of course if you listen to them they are the victims here and we should just fall upon their swords and die.
    Edited by pauld1_ESO on September 26, 2020 6:35PM
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you have a very small chance of bursting them down from stealth if you use the ole simmering frenzy snipe. That is like the perfect storm of abilities to deal with a nb, on top of being unbelievably tanky. I would abandon the idea of going into melee range entirely and just stick to max range sniping from stealth.

I did make a mini build to deal with very tanky single targets and it works pretty decent. You already have balorgh's, so just equip 5pc new moon and swamp raider. Use warhorn as an ult at 500 ultimate points(both to gain extra crit damage and get a full power balorgh proc), buff up with accelerate and momentum, use simmering frenzy until you are nearly dead, and then snipe(lethal arrow) that tanky SOB until he is dead. Best if used in an area where he will not hear your horn or in areas with few obstructions. Only an actual 60k hp tank should be able to survive a sneak attack like that. Think bomb blade, but for killing single targets instead of a whole zerg.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Epicgamertag199
    Epicgamertag199
    Soul Shriven
    Well you have a very small chance of bursting them down from stealth if you use the ole simmering frenzy snipe. That is like the perfect storm of abilities to deal with a nb, on top of being unbelievably tanky. I would abandon the idea of going into melee range entirely and just stick to max range sniping from stealth.

I did make a mini build to deal with very tanky single targets and it works pretty decent. You already have balorgh's, so just equip 5pc new moon and swamp raider. Use warhorn as an ult at 500 ultimate points(both to gain extra crit damage and get a full power balorgh proc), buff up with accelerate and momentum, use simmering frenzy until you are nearly dead, and then snipe(lethal arrow) that tanky SOB until he is dead. Best if used in an area where he will not hear your horn or in areas with few obstructions. Only an actual 60k hp tank should be able to survive a sneak attack like that. Think bomb blade, but for killing single targets instead of a whole zerg.

I'm not much of a bow player, other than applying DoTs and the occasional 100-to-0'ing someone unaware with Toxic Barrage, I'd rather get up close and watch the despair in their eyes as they die personal. My typical "full kit gank" goes identify person distracted by farming/attacking something > pre-buff with major savagery, major brutality (potion); minor force and major expedition (channeled acceleration); siphoning strikes; de-buff with piercing mark > strike in the back with Ambush to inflict minor vulnerability > surprise attack in the back to stun > incapacitating strike for damage and +20% follow-up damage and +500 weapon damage from Balorgh's > executioner and/or surprise attack until dead.

For squishies this is usually all it takes, but for DKs and frost wardens they've usually done their 10%-to-100% burst heal right around the time incap strike finishes, and are now free to pop their AoEs and counter stuns.

I already just avoid most DKs, especially if I've dueled them once or twice in IC and know it's just not worth it. I'd rather not add Wardens to the list, as I don't believe that ESO should be a rock-paper-scissors type of deal, and I must be doing something wrong. But at the same time I feel like having to re-kit my entire skill bars based on who's around is a little ridiculous. Is that kind of just how it goes? I already do similar to stamplars (jump on em, hit hard, then roll away and pelt with bow to stay out of range of biting jabs until their hp is low enough to jump back in).
  • Epicgamertag199
    Epicgamertag199
    Soul Shriven
    Also, double-post to clarify, I don't want "nuke and gank" to be my only playstyle. In my mind, a proper gank sets you up for a strong advantage in the ensuing duel or 1vX. If they happen to die then great, if not then you should have the upper hand.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smile and /wave at the incoming major prot nerfs