Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Were the Dwarves all vampires? Discuss

CaffeinatedMayhem
CaffeinatedMayhem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Working in Stone Eagle Aerie today, I realized that there is absolutely no natural light inside the home. There are outdoor portions... but among all the dwemer structures (everywhere? all time?) there is zero natural light inside.

Thus it occurred to me... were the Dwarves all vampires?
  • Refratado
    Refratado
    ✭✭
    They created a Sun, they literally recreated the sun inside Falzardum-Din and trapped a Dragon... Some of them could've been vampires for tests but not all of them. Pretty sure. And they created little torchlights that have insane amount of energy to light up a entire room as we can see in Skyrim and Morrowind.
    Anyways good thought tho, I've never seen that way! Thank you for sharing this!
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were the Dwarves all vampires? Personally, I see no subject to discuss here. In order to answer your question we have to agree on a definition of a "vampire". But, first, - on what is a definition itself. Definition is a complex of a attributes immanent to an object or a phenomenon throughout the process of it's establishment and development (evolution). Now what is the defintion of a vampire in the current lore? A vampire is an undead bloodsucking creature. Period. If an object lacks at least one of these three attributes, then this object is not a vampire - e.g., the Tsaesci, based on our knowledge of them, are not vampires because they lack the "undead" attribute. Any other man, mer or beastfolk who drinks blood (yes, some people drink blood IRL too) are also not vampires because they do lack both the "undead" and the "bloodsucking" attribute.

All the other attributes can be immanent not only to vampires, attributes such as heliophobia (e.g. Falmer, Kwama, some vampires do not fear light at all), red eyes (some werewolves, Dunmer), pale skin (e.g. Nords ;), the Soul Shriven), mind (e.g. those Gray Host hounds and other animals are vampires but are neither men, mer, nor beastfolks), etc. Some vampires in the lore can walk in the light of day unharmed, they can also look like normal people, live a normal life, but still they can bear all the three attributes and thus be vampires. This is why creatures like, say, the Ash "Vampires" are not vampires at all even if they are called so. Now ask yourself if the Dwemer as a society known to us today fit in the definition of a vampire and the answer will come to you immediately.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall dwarves ever mentioned drinking blood. They did some nasty stuff to the falmer that kind of enslaved them. If they are vampires they have kept it a secret. Maybe they farmed the falmers. Personally I don't think they are vampires but I might be wrong.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I don't recall dwarves ever mentioned drinking blood. They did some nasty stuff to the falmer that kind of enslaved them. If they are vampires they have kept it a secret. Maybe they farmed the falmers. Personally I don't think they are vampires but I might be wrong.

Honestly, the answer is no, but it was an interesting realization. We know the Tsaesci are an entire race of vampires, so why not one that originated in Tamriel as well?
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on September 22, 2020 4:54PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, the answer is no, but it was an interesting realization. We know the Tsaesci are an entire race of vampires, so why not one that originated in Tamriel as well?

Actually there is evidence to disprove the Tsaesci are vampires and snakes. They're able to breed with humans which is impossible for beast races to do, all their armor is made to fit a human, their armor is scaled like a snakes, and their weapons are most likely to be enchanted with absorb health spells. Take for example the Tsaesci blade Dawnfang/Duskfang which literally drinks the blood of its victims to grow in strength and power.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Actually there is evidence to disprove the Tsaesci are vampires and snakes. They're able to breed with humans which is impossible for beast races to do, all their armor is made to fit a human, their armor is scaled like a snakes, and their weapons are most likely to be enchanted with absorb health spells. Take for example the Tsaesci blade Dawnfang/Duskfang which literally drinks the blood of its victims to grow in strength and power.

I've always considered the "snake" part of Tsaesci more metaphorical than actual. However, both of the Akaviri we've met in ESO were definitely vampires.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on September 25, 2020 5:27PM
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    Refratado wrote: »
    They created a Sun, they literally recreated the sun inside Falzardum-Din and trapped a Dragon... Some of them could've been vampires for tests but not all of them. Pretty sure. And they created little torchlights that have insane amount of energy to light up a entire room as we can see in Skyrim and Morrowind.

But what if the sun they created was a different kind of sun that was safe for them?!? Maybe that's why they were so fascinated with it.

Interesting train of thoughts in this thread.
  • Refratado
    Refratado
    ✭✭
    Refratado wrote: »

But what if the sun they created was a different kind of sun that was safe for them?!? Maybe that's why they were so fascinated with it.

Interesting train of thoughts in this thread.

You know that I really wanna know that sun... So I can finally understand their skin color :D