Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Make limited time collectibles available again

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
I know the game likes making some collectibles available for a limited time only to make people buy them... But please consider the remainder 95% of the playerbase that didn't have the resources available at the time, missed the event, or didn't even know the game existed.

A lot of new players have joined the game since lockdown, only to realise that a variety of events have already passed. Why are we punished for not knowing that the game existed? If we collect money or crowns we should be able to buy some stuff we missed. Even the old players you are trying to accommodate may have missed some collectibles and will want to complete their collection. We just want to give you money, and why won't you let us...

(I'm asking about past indriks, houses like the grand psijic vila and some motifs, but this applies more generally)
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Shadowspawn42
    Shadowspawn42
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Though they do sometimes release older collectibles in crown crates, it’s nearly impossible to get what you want from them (especially if it’s something expensive like a mount). They need to make some older items available to buy normally without having to deal with crates.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.

Even for players who were around at the time there may be reasons to want things now you originally passed up. For example maybe you made a warden with Morrowind or a necromancer with Elseweyr who has a different style to your other characters, and would use different collectables, but now you can't get them because they were only available briefly before you ever knew you'd want them.

I understand that making things available temporarily helps them sell, I've had enough reputable people tell me it works that I believe it even if it sounds counter-productive to me. But it still works if you bring them back periodically to open them up to new audiences, it doesn't have to be once and done forever.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The store really does need to rotate things more often.

I've been here for a bit over a year, and there's so many cosmetic things like hairstyles and costumes that I've never seen come by. I get that the idea is that if it has a "2 DAYS LEFT!" logo, people are more likely to buy it because of FOMO. Makes sense.

But then what about the influx of people they get every chapter. At this point, I've seen Elsweyr and Greymoor both release, and these things still haven't popped back for another three day stint. Are they really making that much money from keeping things collecting virtual dust on a virtual shelf, rather than having them pop back to entice a whole new crowd with "AVAILABLE 3 DAYS ONLY!"

I've also seen things disappear from the store without getting that notification. I know I would have bought the Standing Wave hairstyle if it had gotten the notice, but it just up and vanished one day. Guess I didn't need to buy crowns for that...

At this point, it seems the only way to get old things is to 'hope' they're one of the two or three old things that shows in a new crate season. But I can't believe that starting to put old cosmetics up to buy normally or even for another week-long stint, especially things like hairstyles that have been out of the store for so long, would not make any money whatsoever. After all, this forum is full of people asking for things to come back (or them to finally release PTS and datamined cosmetics, hint hint), so we know that demand exists.

Put up the 'Short Mussed Wave' hairstyle, or even the Khajiit tail tuft, give it a '1 WEEK ONLY' and watch how people won't care if it's 750 crowns, they'll buy it anyway.
  • Isnogut404
    Isnogut404
    ✭✭✭
    I pretty much agree. Fine, if Zenimax want to rotate stuff, I have no problems with that. But it has to be more often. Especially when it comes to crates. The actual greymore crates are "for ages" active in the game and almost anything is boring in there. Why don't they add the boxes into an interval of 1 or 2 months?

Second issue I have is, things we haven't bought are sometimes, ...or most of the time not prewatchable in the menu. Now Zenimax, tell me, where shoud I know those exists, If I have no hint about? People would say, search the internet. ...yeah, search about what, I never realise this stuff is in ESO in the first place?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnogut404 wrote: »
    Why don't they add the boxes into an interval of 1 or 2 months?

We'll gladly let you lead the discussion with the ZOS Art Team about producing the same quality items in the Crown Crates, but in 1/3 of the time, @Isnogut404. Especially since they are still working from home.

The other option is hiring triple the staff the Art Team currently has to meet a 1 month Crate deadline ... which we'll gladly refer you to ZOS HR. ;)
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Isnogut404 wrote: »
    Why don't they add the boxes into an interval of 1 or 2 months?

We'll gladly let you lead the discussion with the ZOS Art Team about producing the same quality items in the Crown Crates, but in 1/3 of the time, @Isnogut404. Especially since they are still working from home.

The other option is hiring triple the staff the Art Team currently has to meet a 1 month Crate deadline ... which we'll gladly refer you to ZOS HR. ;)

Rotating old/existing crown crates into the rotation would not increase the art departments production time.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SWTOR had a "limited time" offer of a special companion with a special story chapter, which you got if you were subscribed during a certain period. They regretted it later because of the great demand for this "exclusive" "won't come again" type offer.

So in the end they caved and put it in their cash shop. But only after a long time (5 years or so?).

If something is really sought after, I don't think any company is going to pass up the chance to make a burst of money down the line. But if they can also milk you right now with Fear Of Missing Out, why not?

We had the FOMO conversation with ZOS earlier this year with how they handled Murkmire collectibles but in the end it's a marketing strategy and obviously one that works.
    Look at last year's dragon event and this year's antiquities event. Both have special items (dragon hoard deco last year, house this year). If they said anything at all about the events repeating, you wouldn't get the same participation.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 24, 2020 2:17AM