Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

UK Players: The UK Government wants your thoughts on loot boxes (crown crates)

esotoon
esotoon
✭✭✭✭✭
For those ESO players from the UK who have an interest in loot boxes (Crown crates) in ESO. As part of their ongoing investigation into the “impact of loot boxes in video games in the UK”, the UK Government has just launched a “Call for evidence” from both video game players and those within the industry.

Please note, this is not a petition, or a protest. It is a call from a Governmental body for the thoughts, opinions and feedback of gamers (such as us ESO players) on how crown crates and other loot box systems have impacted them, the games they play (such as ESO) and the games industry as a whole.

For those UK players with an interest in this, you can get further information here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/loot-boxes-in-video-games-call-for-evidence/loot-boxes-in-video-games-call-for-evidence
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I'd heard about the review of gambling legislation but I wasn't aware that they were opening it up for public consultation.

I'll probably submit something myself and will definitely send it around various people I know who are interested.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just filled out the questionnaire and sent it off. I recommend that over UK players do so, too.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • MythrialDrow
    MythrialDrow
    ✭✭✭
    Done and sent
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally got time to do this and it was actually better than I expected. I was expecting lots of 'rate how much you agree with this statement' or 'put these statements in order of priority' where you're lead into giving the answers they want. But it actually has lots of free text boxes where you can give details about your own experiences and make it as positive or negative as you want.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, have responded to the survey.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, have responded to the survey.

Likewise.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have done mine. Only bought loot boxes once. Never again.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I finally got time to do this and it was actually better than I expected. I was expecting lots of 'rate how much you agree with this statement' or 'put these statements in order of priority' where you're lead into giving the answers they want. But it actually has lots of free text boxes where you can give details about your own experiences and make it as positive or negative as you want.

I've just sent mine off, and you are right, it is a much better laid out form than I was expecting it to be.

And like you say, it is not solely aimed at those with bad experiences or those against loot boxes. People with positive experiences, or mixed experience, or who are pro loot boxes get to have a say as well.

Edited by esotoon on September 26, 2020 11:32AM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    done and submited
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When games go back to the monthly subscription model, just remember that is what you wanted.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    When games go back to the monthly subscription model, just remember that is what you wanted.

Did you not read the thread? If you are from the UK and have positive things to say about loot boxes they want your opinion too. :)
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

IF, and I mean 'if', my gaming is being funded by a mechanism that turns out to be causing harm then I will happily pay a little more on my monthly sub.

But this is merely a consultation being held by a government that is quite pro-market so they will hear views from both sides before making any kind of decision so probably not time to start tearing your hair out quite yet.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Genuine question, in your opinion, has the game improved performance wise since the implementation of loot boxes? I'm not attempting to fish a negative or positive response from you, just wondering.

Imo, it hasn't improved at all. It's got worse on the PS4. Downgraded graphics and draw distances. That tells me none of that money gets pumped back into the game. You may have a different option, but that is mine. I'd happily accept lootboxes if I had witnessed improvements. All I'm seeing on the PS4 are downgrades.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on September 26, 2020 2:23PM
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loot boxes are essentially lottery tickets for video games.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for raising awareness of this.

Submitted my (very negative) review of loot boxes. Seen too many threads on this very forum of people feeling burned after spending literally thousands on these things. You and I may not be affected too negatively by them, but ZOS are clearly targeting and exploiting the people who struggle to control their spending. These crates are undeniably malicious in intent, and provide nothing of value. All items could be sold directly on the Crown Store. We all know why they aren't, and it's not for our benefit. The game's performance has also significantly eroded compared to pre-Crate ESO, so the argument that it supports the game's upkeep is also nonsense. It just gets pocketed by the suits at the top of the chain.
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up