The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do I heavy attack with a staff?

chiftie
chiftie
I can't seem to figure it out. It is making Moongrave Fane very complicated. If I hold down left click, my staff looks like it starts charging but it doesn't do a heavy attack.
  • Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are using an shock or ice staff, you need an enemy to heavy attack, just hold down the button you do Light attacks with. If you have a fire staff, it takes a bit longer for the heavy attack to be release, hold down the button you do Light attacks with for 2-3sec, it will release it self 🙂
    Edited by Gulnagel on September 21, 2020 8:07AM
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding to above, when you see staff past your shoulder then it's a charged heavy attack so you can release
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gulnagel wrote: »
    If you are using an shock or ice staf...

You mean restoration staff, not Frost staff. Ice is the same as fire, you can fire heavy attacks without a target. Shock and Restoration staves require a target because they are channeled. Just hold the button down until it's completed, they all have a subtle ending flare.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • novemberhhh
    novemberhhh
    ✭✭✭
    step 1: hold down left click
    step 2: refer to step 1
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also no weapons in ESO have the old mechanics bow once had. Just need to press and hold the heavy attack and it charges and release on its own.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use the tutorial.....
  • chiftie
    chiftie
    If you are using an shock or ice staff, you need an enemy to heavy attack, just hold down the button you do Light attacks with. If you have a fire staff, it takes a bit longer for the heavy attack to be release, hold down the button you do Light attacks with for 2-3sec, it will release it self 🙂

You mean restoration staff, not Frost staff. Ice is the same as fire, you can fire heavy attacks without a target. Shock and Restoration staves require a target because they are channeled. Just hold the button down until it's completed, they all have a subtle ending flare.

Thanks. I think we've identified the problem. My staves are shock and resto. I guess that means I can't do Moongrave Fane with these weapons.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    chiftie wrote: »

Thanks. I think we've identified the problem. My staves are shock and resto. I guess that means I can't do Moongrave Fane with these weapons.

Pretty sure the blood balls work like the portals in WGT. Aim at them, hold your heavy attack. When it completes (the mentioned flare, also recoil animation) it should send the ball flying and activate the mechanic.
    Actually, I'm 99.9999999999% sure. I just so happen to have done the dungeon with a healer earlier today. The ball got activated not by me a couple of times. Since he had only resto and lightning equipped, I'm certain he triggered the ball with a heavy attack of one of those.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    swing it really really hard......
  • NightSky
    NightSky
    ✭✭✭
    Left mouse button, then it will release on it own.
    chiftie wrote: »
    If I hold down left click, my staff looks like it starts charging but it doesn't do a heavy attack.
    MIGHT be because you're using a FROST staff, LIGHTENING staff or even a RESTORATION staff can't know with so little details. However to make it work you need a TARGET - Monsters, player or a Target Dummy.

If that doesn't work make a new character and play the tutorial, it will show you HOW TO BLOCK INCOMING ATTACK ALSO. You know what, it will teach you how to DODGE ROLL too :open_mouth:
    "For everything you gain, you lose something else."