The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What is your favorite "suboptimal" gear?

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
Sure, it's not meta, and you're missing out on 10's of k's of DPS, or damage mitigation, or healing, or what have you, but you like it anyway. What is your favorite gear/gear combo that will never be featured on any of the build sites?

For me... I'm currently running around with a full set of Morkuldin and Defiler, and I find it hilarious to see a hunger materialize behind a group of enemies just as a golden sword starts rushing toward them.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Morkuldin + Essence Thief + Mephala

Heavy attack opener every time ...
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m unreasonably attached to Rattlecage for 2 of my mag builds in pvp.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me... I'm currently running around with a full set of Morkuldin and Defiler, and I find it hilarious to see a hunger materialize behind a group of enemies just as a golden sword starts rushing toward them.

Came here to say Defiler.

That Hunger proc looks awesome.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad tinkerer. I love that little fabricant and get a lot of joy out of seeing him fling things into the air.
    Options
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    haelene wrote: »
    Mad tinkerer. I love that little fabricant and get a lot of joy out of seeing him fling things into the air.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with that one yet, but it's on my list!
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My speedy material / survey / treasure map harvester runs around Tamriel in a set of Imperial Physique. Looks pretty trippy zipping around covered in black and blue flames. Works with costumes, too.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad Tink and VD on my Mag Sorc, its great when fighting 2 or more players and 2 get to low health so you execute one and he explodes killing the other, no one is expecting a sorc to be running a bomb set

Was a good feeling 2 days ago, when there was a group in the ram at Drake, so I come round the corner drop Atro, Deadric Mines and 1 Fury, 5-6 of them in the ram just explode

Seeing them die from VD makes me smile every time
    Options
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defiler and unfathomable darkness. The hunger and the crows. I run them together and get both 5pc bonus’s. Sometimes the hunger gets in the way, and the crows proccing a lot can get annoying, but I still have a blast with those two haha!
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
    Options
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad Tinkerer is just so much fun and charming to me. I use it as my healers overland dps set.
    Options
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Icy Conjurer, Mad Tinkerer, Maw of the Infernal

Edit:
    Forgive to mention Trial by Fire, Red Mountain, Grothdarr
    Edited by Hapexamendios on September 23, 2020 1:56AM
    Options
  • Feizao
    Feizao
    ✭✭✭
    I usually start any build with bone pirate or bright-throat
    PS4 NA lsoSO4P
    EP - Dark Elf - MagBlade Vamp
    EP - Nord - Stam/MagDk
    EP - Argonian - StamCro
    EP - Nord - StamPlar/Hybrid Healer
    AD - Khajit - StamBlade/Tank
    AD - Khajit - StormSorc/Hybrid WW
    DC - Breton - MagDen
    Options
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiord's legacy + Jailbreaker
    Options
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »

Came here to say Defiler.

That Hunger proc looks awesome.

Ya,

Defiler = Hunger
    Scavenging Demise = Second Hunger
    Maw of Infernal = Daedroth
    Sorcerer Twilight Pet
    Sorcerer Imp Pet
    Sorcerer Storm Atronach
    Non-Combat Pet

Now you can open your own zoo!
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love spell strategist's purple orb. I also LOVE the kjalnar monster set's big blue skeleton hand, although not sure if kjalnar is suboptimal, but the way I use it definitely is
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ashen Grip. It's loads of fun to play my for-fun overland tank to shield charge across the ground and fire breath an enemy in the face. Shadow of the Red Mountain and its volcano are also loads of fun too.

Also things like Bloodspawn or Grave Guardian that give you a rock texture are great for funsies. I may need to farm Ironblood for the same style funsies with a cool metal texture.

Yes, I do play a dragonknight, how did you know?
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    My speedy material / survey / treasure map harvester runs around Tamriel in a set of Imperial Physique. Looks pretty trippy zipping around covered in black and blue flames. Works with costumes, too.

Um...how is this a harvesting getup? Looks like the only bennies happen when you are in IC.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marauders haste.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »

Um...how is this a harvesting getup? Looks like the only bennies happen when you are in IC.

The look is pervasive (goes everywhere with you), as long as you have 10k tel var in your pocket. The stat buffs, and ability to lose the tel var, only happen in IC.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-sets-visual-effects-fashion/

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to use my pvp gear and rotation for overland pve, even world bosses. I can't really explain why, it's just comfy, and I get more satisfaction out of single target kills. Refreshing ground dots gets so stale. I wouldn't use it for a dungeon though.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darloc Brae for dem resources.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deadly Strike and Swamp Raider on a stamdk. I can get my poison bow ult to 85,000 over 4sec tooltip. Pumpin up those juicy DoTs. That might be considered an optimal build though. Most of my PvE builds are that way, but i dont have any dedicated PvP builds, so when i go into Cyrodiil they become woefully suboptimal.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infernal Guardian on my MagSorc, it procs with shield casts and i just love those flaming mortars ...
    w00t.gif
    Options
  • ZigenBuilds
    ZigenBuilds
    ✭✭
    Azureblight/Aegis Caller with Perfected 2H Masters battleaxe on my Stamsorc. Non meta meme build but can regularly get top dps on AOE trash pulls.
    Options
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    I specifically made a new stupid Nord for Greymoor, Hrafnkami, to use Unfathomable Darkness, because obviously a viking-type needs crow pets to peck out the eyes of his enemies. It's not the worst set, but nobody would run it except for aesthetics.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
    Options
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my Twice-Born Star. All divines, and have the stones for extra magicka and health stacking. Sub-optimal but ideal for solo content.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
    Options
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It USED to be 5pc each of Darkstride and Prisoners, which USED to give 100% sprint cost reduction in addition to giving great magicka regen while sprinting. Then they changed the math on how the 5pc buffs were applied, and they no longer give 100% sprint cost reduction when worn together. :(
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
    Options
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im running light armor magDK with Dragurkins grip in PvP. Its kind of squishy and no use when outnumbered, but the potential damage while 7 DoTs are ticking on 1 player is just too nice.
    Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use Twice Born Star since 2015 on my healer. Mage + Ritual and almost all other healing bonuses except Sanctuary. My group members are immortal outside of oneshots. Tank can stand on any dots. I perfectly healed PUG in second to last boss in vet Scalecaller when non of group members didn't take antidote even once.

On DD sorc i use Infallible Aether and Alfiq. 42k dps on 3 mil dummy, full self parse.
    Options
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    haelene wrote: »

I have to agree with this ^^^. It is my favorite 'fun' set.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azureblight is a weird set, but great fun against large groups of weak mobs. Setting a few different DoTs tick for a while on a tight cluster of mobs and seeing them annihilate each other in a blue splash after a few seconds never gets old for me. The more enemies you can pack together, the bigger the boom. Even some of the low-hp bosses in delves and public dungeons can be nuked if they are surrounded by enough weak trash that explode. In some situations, the slightly tricky part is to make sure you apply weak enough DoT effects, so the mobs don't die before they reach 20 ticks. It's a set that quickly loses its utility if you run with others that deal a lot of damage by traditional means, and slotting lots of AoE DoTs is downright crippling to your single target damage, but it's fun.
    Options