The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mythic item suggestion: Tank damage boost.

hexentb16_ESO
hexentb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I miss the old Thrassian Stranglers. I used to use them on my magika templar tank. Why?

Have you ever queued for a random dungeon and get matched with damage dealers that are just god awful? Like, their damage is so low even you the (real) tank can out dps their combined numbers? Well the Thrassian Stranglers were the perfect solution to those situations before they were changed. After a short 20 kills I was able to make up for their lacking dps and have us finish the dungeon in a bearable amount of time.

Since the Thrassian Stranglers are basically a waste of a gear slot now I figured I'd make a new suggestion for a mythic item that can temporairly increase a tank's damage when needed.

I'm sure my suggestion will have some complications created when used with other sets that I may not forsee and that some of you will jump at the chance to shoot the idea down. So lets make this post a little bit of a creative challenge...

Whether your comment agrees with my suggestion or not I ask you to reply with an alternative suggestion for a mythic item that temporarily increases a tanks damage. Lets see if we can make a suggestion ZOS can't say no to!

(Name doesnt really matter)
Hexent's Reckless Gauntlets

Level: 50 CP 160
Armor Type: Heavy
Armor: 2620
Enchantment: Prismatic Defense
Trait: Infused

Set Bonus

Old idea was bad. New idea.

Upon weapon swapping from a one-handed weapon and shield you become afflicted with a beneficial curse that reduces all your resistances to zero but increases your weapon or spell damage (whichever is higher) by 40% of your physical or spell resistance lost for 5 seconds. Doing any damage, stealthing, or turning invisible will end the positive portion of the effect.

Estimated damage is 16k before other stats are applied if the tank aims for the 50% damage reduction cap. Does not increase too much if tanks are using because of enemy resistance and low damage stats for tanks.

Issue: pvp dps might use this for ganking.
Possible solution: make the positive portion of the effect only work on npc.
Increase to 100% if this solution is used considering the high stakes created by the negative effect.

I REALLY don't want this to be another addition to a ganker's arsenal in pvp but want it to do high damage in pve.

Looking forward to hearing other suggestions for mythic items.
Edited by hexentb16_ESO on September 23, 2020 12:26AM
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alternative effect.

Upon weapon swapping from a one-handed weapon and shield you become afflicted with a beneficial curse that reduces all your resistances to zero but increases your weapon or spell damage (whichever is higher) by 40% of your physical or spell resistance lost for 5 seconds. Doing any damage, stealthing, or turning invisible will end the positive portion of the effect.

Damage becomes 16k for the first attack but is boosted by other stats.
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oof. The more I think about my first idea the worse it seems. I'll have to edit that when I get home.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better idea to the OP:

Mythic item: Targe of the Blooded
    Slot: Shield (off-hand.)
    Trait: Reinforced: increases this items armor value by 16%.
    Enchantment: Maximum Health: adds up to 954 maximum health.
    Mythic effect:
    • (1 item): dealing damage to a taunted enemy with a bash attack applies a bleed, dealing bleed damage equal to 100% of your maximum health over 10 seconds.* this can occur once every 20 seconds per target. Requires 5 Pieces of Heavy Armor Equipped.
    Notes:
    • Over 10 seconds entails it deals a set tick of damage every 2 seconds over the duration.
    • The damage scales with your max health, thus becoming mythically powerful the more vigorous you happen to be.
    • The damage can be reduced by certain modifiers, such as reducing weapon damage, increasing physical resistances, CP allocations, battle spirit, etc. from a PVP standpoint.
    • because it is a “Heavy Shield,” having five heavy armor pieces is a requirement that thematically fits a little.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even better idea to the OP - a mythic item with the following effect:

(1 item): When you successfully block incoming damage from a hostile monster, you damage the attacker for 0.5% of their maximum health as Physical Damage, limited to a maximum of X damage. This effect can only occur every Y seconds.

Reasonable starting order of magnitude for X and Y would be on the order of 10000 and 2 seconds, respectively.
    0.5% is probably already too strong scaling, considering how much HP the PvE bosses have.

And even if you drop the "hostile monster" requirement (ie. not an enemy player) it would still be very unattractive for PvP, as players have ~100x less HP than the average PvE boss.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solution to low damage DDs in GF groups is to form a group from guild and avoid the random GF groups.

The problem with increasing damage of actual tank builds is PvP. Tank build can take a lot of damage in ESO so being tanky in PvP and being able to do decent damage is not much of a tradeoff.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be the Strangler, IF assisted Kills counted i.e. taunted mobs that die to DPS or solo kills.
    Edited by Sahidom on September 21, 2020 5:39AM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The solution to low damage DDs in GF groups is to form a group from guild and avoid the random GF groups.

The problem with increasing damage of actual tank builds is PvP. Tank build can take a lot of damage in ESO so being tanky in PvP and being able to do decent damage is not much of a tradeoff.
    The solution I proposed (reflected damage scaling off of the attacker's HP) is - as far as I can tell - the best of both worlds.

Such an approach would allow tanks in PvE to achieve considerable additional damage output - nowhere to rival even a halfway competent DD, but enough to help carry the most underperforming groups - without having any significant effect on PvP, due to the vast difference in HP pool size between player characters and PvE bosses.
    A nice beneficial side-effect is that this automatically takes care of the difference between PvP and PvE - no need to have the set bonus behave differently in either mode.

If the scaling was such that in PvE it deals, say, 10k damage per blocked hit against bosses, in PvP that would only amount to a pitiful 100 damage or thereabouts, which is essentially useless - there are many other, much better mythic items to equip in PvP than to waste a mythic slot on something this weak.
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    updated my original post.
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Unfortunately this isn't a possible solution some days. I have 4 pve guilds. 3 dedicated to pve content and 1 casual/social guild. Even with me being a tank and instant Qs being a thing when grouped with me I still cant find guildmates to run pledges some days.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud the need to boost damage for PvE tanks. My main tank does a typical 5k dps and, frankly, I'd rather play other roles than have my tank carry multiple sets of gear. And 12k dps would be plenty to make normal content comfortable when not tanking. I've always felt the most elegant way to get there would be to scale the damage from Puncture and Low Slash (and morphs) to health instead of stam. I'd think that could be just the right level of boost. In the meantime, my tank is basically retired and waiting.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on September 22, 2020 11:48PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like your ideas guys and think they should be added to the game! Though I'd also like something that can be used with other abilities a tank might have from another skill line. Like 2h for example. If ZOS reads this I hope they add more than one of our ideas.