The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should knockback be allowed in PvP? Thoughts?

Hg_9_5b16_ESO
Hg_9_5b16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Lately i've gotten a lot of feedback regarding knockbacks in pvp. I think we can agree that it works well in PvE to make certain content harder. When it comes to PvP it can often mean 1 shotting anything. Which not everyone is happy about.

What are the pros and cons of keeping knockbacks in PvP in your opinion?
Knockback Video
PC EU - PvP Player
Tactia Fatum - StamBlade
Keeper of Chalman Farm - StamSorc
Silent Sorc - MagSorc
Dominion Tank - MagTemp

YT: /watch?v=1R4YLsJO6iE
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use an immovablity pot
    Block it
    dodgeroll it
    Literally get up and walk out of the lava it doesnt even hurt that bad
    Dont stand near edges
    Dont stand near lava

Its just another stun and its really just a l2p issue if someone is having issues with it imo.
    Edited by erio on September 14, 2020 9:27PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only watched the first 35 seconds as I see no reason to watch the entire 7+ minutes of the video.

So someone puts themselves stands pretty close to the lava and stands between it and a player. Then they get knocked back into that lava. Seems more like it is a player issue and not an issue with the knockback.

One must be aware of the area around them, not just focused on a single target.
  • Hg_9_5b16_ESO
    Hg_9_5b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Still, tons of people in game disagree.

I do understand to some extent that it can be frustrating though. People getting Meta builds every patch only to get knocked off an edge time after time again. I agree @erio that there are tons of ways to avoid it, but do u think its good to have it in the game compared to just 'stuns'?
    PC EU - PvP Player
    Tactia Fatum - StamBlade
    Keeper of Chalman Farm - StamSorc
    Silent Sorc - MagSorc
    Dominion Tank - MagTemp

YT: /watch?v=1R4YLsJO6iE
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do understand to some extent that it can be frustrating though. People getting Meta builds every patch only to get knocked off an edge time after time again. I agree @erio that there are tons of ways to avoid it, but do u think its good to have it in the game compared to just 'stuns'?

Just because there are people who disagree does not make it a bad thing.

Further, player skill is significantly more important than changing ones build to the FOTM meta. You even acknowledge it can be avoided. It is probably better for a player to improve than to change the game to the playing level of some players who are challenged to notice they are in a good position to get knocked back into lava.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    It should be in pvp as long as it works properly but i also dont agree with things being removed from the game if they cant get it to work properly.
    Edited by mikey_reach on September 15, 2020 12:49AM
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude if youre running a meta build and you get knocked into lava and you die, you're really having a l2p issue

Yeah its very funny to see people get knocked off bridges in cyro and knocked in lava in bgs. Mad tinkerer will also always be a favorite set of mine because its super funny, and knockback is something that we can enjoy in the game. I see no reason to remove it cause once in a while someone gets knocked off a cliff.

https://youtu.be/S4pTwpJkFCE
    Edited by erio on September 14, 2020 11:54PM
  • Decimus
    Decimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this even a question, of course it should.

Some of the most fun moments in game are knocking people off BG map.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlightedBetterStapleBrainSlug

Imagine Fall Guys, except you can't grab people or block them to make them fall off. Would that be fun? No.

It's the same with ESO & knockbacks.
    Edited by Decimus on September 15, 2020 2:51AM
    PC/EU @ DECMVS
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should be in pvp as long as it works properly but i also dont agree with things being removed from the game if they cant get it to work properly.

Problem that knockbacks and knockups are getting worse and worse to the point where you can desync enemy, disabling his capability to defend himself. Remember familiar problems with knockups when people were spamming Meteor coz it was procing unsurvivable Fall Damage, or Flame Rune that people abusing to stuck people within textures, or Fear ran-away that made you fall through textures . None of original problems were fixed - fall damage mostly fixed but still can proc from rime to time making you wondering wtf just happened; knockups still makes you stuck in nearby textures or simply fall through it; Fear was never addressed coz npc fear still bug you in textures, zos also removed horribly bugged knockup from Uppercaut and changed it for moderate knockdown, still remember when uppercaut knockuped me straight into the sky at Cropsford and ported me to fall from sky near Bloodmayne. And in addition to all this you can desync you enemy now by knockups and knockbacks :dizzy:
    So far only knockdowns are not having rng-based chance attached to it that upon CC there wont open portal into other dimensions of map.
    Different types of Hard CC is musthave in a bug(lol i typed "big" but phone autocorrect changed it into "bug" :smiley: ) game but so far zos was unable to fully fixed any of those bugs...for 5 years and counting.
    Edited by Cinbri on September 15, 2020 7:26AM
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but walking into an enemy spawn in BGs deals an Environmental Damage one shot right?

One or two days ago I was knocked high enough by a Mad Tinkerer proc that I took 21k environmental damage right by an enemy spawn, went from full health to zero. *If that's what happened* then I think that's a little much. Otherwise as long as they're not buggy they're fine.

Personally I find the knockback from DK leap to be more of a drawback than a benefit.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes.
    Nothing is more satisfying than knocking a 40k hp stamden off a ledge and watch them die.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but walking into an enemy spawn in BGs deals an Environmental Damage one shot right?

One or two days ago I was knocked high enough by a Mad Tinkerer proc that I took 21k environmental damage right by an enemy spawn, went from full health to zero. *If that's what happened* then I think that's a little much. Otherwise as long as they're not buggy they're fine.

Personally I find the knockback from DK leap to be more of a drawback than a benefit.

Yeah, spawn points in BGs and IC deal Environmental Damage.

A few nights ago in IC, I Toppling Charged up to some snipers on a ledge and found out really quickly that said ledge was actually the AD base for the district. Won't make that mistake again.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Define "tons."
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely yes.

Positioning should matter.

If you're getting punted off buildings/ledges/walkways, that's partly on you. Keep your back or flank to a wall.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • KylKad
    KylKad
    ✭✭
    Biggest problem I see in ESO PvP is if something kills someone they cry about it consistently until a over achieved nerf happens. It's why so many have quit eso being they only played for the diversity this game offers in pvp. As they said, learn to play. Don't put yourself in a predicament to be knocked off an edge or into lava etc. Suppose to learn from losses, not cry until you get your way despite what the many other think and feel. I do not intend to sound mean, just ugly truth
  • KylKad
    KylKad
    ✭✭
    KylKad wrote: »
    Biggest problem I see in ESO PvP is if something kills someone they cry about it consistently until a over achieved nerf happens. It's why so many have quit eso being they only played for the diversity this game offers in pvp. As they said, learn to play. Don't put yourself in a predicament to be knocked off an edge or into lava etc. Suppose to learn from losses, not cry until you get your way despite what the many other think and feel. I do not intend to sound mean, just ugly truth

Hey an execute ability killed me, can we stop executes? An ultimate killed me, nerf executes please. A skill killed me, can we get rid of skills too?
  • Xargas13
    Xargas13
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a problem with them, I only see the problem of general survivability, its almost like playing a shooter.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blocking a knock back attack negates the knock back. Just suggesting since most players block cast most of their abilities that uses block or interupt to animation cancel; good chance you'll stop the kockback...
    Edited by Sahidom on September 24, 2020 10:24PM