The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[SOLVED] Any benefit sacrificing set item for research? Can I peek past 3 skills from build advisor?

Eternicus
Eternicus
Soul Shriven
Hello, I have two questions:

1.) I'm saving my set items for researching instead of using them. Sometimes my toons could really use them but researching is my no1 priority. After a week of saving my set-stuff from every toon, I started wondering if researching a set item has more benefit than a non set item? Or does it simple unlock the bonus that is on the single item itself, and doesn't look at the item being a part of a full set?

2.) I'm using the skill build advisor for my toons to progress. Unfortunately the advisor only shows the next 3 advised skills to upgrade, and when these 3 are still locked (because I need a higher level of that trait), then I'm unable to invest my skillpoints according to the advise. Two of the classes I play are having this problem, they have several skillpoints ready for investing but the skills on the advisor are still locked.
Is there a way to see the bigger picture of the full advisor build, instead of just the 3? That would be helpfull in the progress of my toons.
Edited by Eternicus on September 22, 2020 2:16AM
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Set items don't give anything extra on research
    2. You will have plenty of skill points, don't worry too much about sticking to skill advisor. Personally, I think skill advisor is meh, but I've been at this for a while.
    Edited by Karm1cOne on September 19, 2020 3:31AM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eternicus wrote: »

2.) I'm using the skill build advisor for my toons to progress. Unfortunately the advisor only shows the next 3 advised skills to upgrade, and when these 3 are still locked (because I need a higher level of that trait), then I'm unable to invest my skillpoints according to the advise. Two of the classes I play are having this problem, they have several skillpoints ready for investing but the skills on the advisor are still locked.
    Is there a way to see the bigger picture of the full advisor build, instead of just the 3? That would be helpfull in the progress of my toons.

You can see what future skills the skill advisor is going to tell you to get - all of them - by just looking on the right hand skill pane itself. Any skills that are part of your chosen build have an extra partial border on the 4 corners of the icon.

Also... sometimes it will mark a skill higher up the skill line but not the first one or two. In order to advance the skill line up to the point where you can get the skill for the build you will still need to pick one of the lower skills and slot it even though it's technically not part of that build. Otherwise that skill line will never advance at all.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the Level Up Advisor? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Level_Up_Advisor
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eternicus wrote: »

1.) I'm saving my set items for researching instead of using them. Sometimes my toons could really use them but researching is my no1 priority. After a week of saving my set-stuff from every toon, I started wondering if researching a set item has more benefit than a non set item? Or does it simple unlock the bonus that is on the single item itself, and doesn't look at the item being a part of a full set?

There are many 9 trait crafters in the game. If you're in a good guild, crafters would probably make you research items for free, except for nirnhoned/jewelry, and that would be made if you have the nirncrux and trait mats.

You can use gear until you outlevel it, and then research it. Researching set items doesn't give more benefit. Researching well-fitted on boots from a set simply teaches you well-fitted for boots.
  • Eternicus
    Eternicus
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for the info everyone!