The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Maelstrom Drops?

Tomarkhos
Tomarkhos
✭✭
They locked the thread where this was already asked and suggested making a new one, so here it is. First off, if you are coming to tell me how difficult things use to be and to be grateful, then you can move on, I've played since pre one Tamriel and know that song and dance. My question: Is Maelstrom broke with drops for inferno staves or is it actually this poor of a system where you can get 3 ice staves in a row? If it's working as intended perhaps I can make a suggestion that I can only imagine has already been purposed which is to change the way drops work in Maelstrom as the current method is pretty much garbage. A token system perhaps, where you get tokens for completion and then just buy a box, similar to what is already done with monster sets. There are plenty of items there that I want so I do not mind not getting the staff right away, but getting triplicates of the same item 3 times in a row seems more then just chance, and if it is chance then that is pretty wild and should be looked at.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The rng is just that bad. I've ran it off and on for a few years and only ever got 2 infernos to drop. I've deconned countless sword and board/2h though. I just got tired of wasting an hour of my life running it. It varies from person to person. I'm sure someone will post that they have 50 infernos.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People don't seem to understand what random actually means. A coin has a 50/50 chance of being heads or tails...this does NOT mean that if you flip the coin 100 times you will come up with 50 heads and 50 tails....each flip of the coin is completely independent of the others. you could very well get 99/1 or 22/78 or any other combination you could think of. In the case of the ice staff it is what? a 1 in 7 chance?(if I am thinking correctly) that means the chances of getting an ice staff(or anything else) are 14%. Its not likely to happen...but just because it happens once does not mean the chances are reduced for the following try....2nd try is 14% just like the first one...and so is every single try thereafter. As an example...I farmed CoA for YEARS looking for an inferno staff...and it never dropped until I stopped looking....then it dropped twice in one month. The grind in vMA just seems so much worse because there are no party members to trade with(if you had a group of 4 RNG would fall on your side far more often)
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just made a thread on this topic but about the actual sets that drop in Maelstrom and not necessarily the weapon sets.

The problem with Maelstrom Arena in particular is that it's a solo arena. Gear in this game is a horrific grind in general, but it's somewhat bearable because you can trade gear with fellow groupmates at the end of dungeons/arenas/trials. Even for the various monster weapons from the other trials, nothing is nearly as bad as Maelstrom arena simply because you spend upwards of an hour and are limited to a single item each run.

They really need to make an undaunted type mechanic for Maelstrom (I think they should do it for all arenas to be honest). Either make unique arena keys, or simply make a daily arena pledge for each of the arenas that players can do to get undaunted keys. They could then simply make undaunted/arena crates that players can purchase to get the item they want.

It's really not a difficult concept and it's one they've successfully implemented elsewhere and could easily be expanded to work for arenas: maelstrom particularly.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You won't get any new answers besides rng especially after mentioning just 3 runs, token system also isn't at works afaik and knowing zos speed it's years ahead if ever.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    27 runs plus 3 or 4 that cracked the leaderboard till i finally got the flamestaff. Some people got it quicker and it took some much longer.
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    27 runs plus 3 or 4 that cracked the leaderboard till i finally got the flamestaff. Some people got it quicker and it took some much longer.

This has been my experience. Took nearly 30 runs to get the inferno staff. Now try and get the winterborn staff or a hunt maul.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe half the problem is that weapon subclasses aren't separate. As I recall the loot tables, it's not weighted such that a fire staff and a restoration staff have the same drop rate, more that *a* destro staff and *a* two handed weapon have the same chance,and then it rolls again to see what type of subweapon it generates.

That makes it worse for someone who wants a specific subweapon (I will never get my dual daggers, I accept this). It does, however, make it better if you don't care what subweapon you get (or want a one hand/resto).