Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon Drops in Dungeons are Too Rare

JSlayer211
JSlayer211
✭✭✭
Long story short, do a whole dungeon, only the last boss and treasure chests have chance of a weapon. It's ridiculous to grind these items. Give us an Undaunted chest that takes keys perhaps we can purchase? Separate the Jewelry from the Weapons boss perhaps? Anything so that you can at least get one weapon a run. I've made several runs and not a single weapon in some cases 10 runs in a dungeon and noone gets a weapon. Even thenso, it's just as unlikely that you won't even get the weapon you're after. Heaven forbid you plan to dual wield. Buckle up buttercup.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, things seem to have changed. Today our intrepid group of 4 ran vet Imperial City Prison - made it farther than we ever had, but that still does NOT include actually beating the final boss....

I got a bow from one set and a mace from another.
    Another two people happened to get the exact same lightning staff.

Yes, the weapon, shield and ring drops are rare, but they do happen on occasion.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have always been rarer than other pieces, but they used to be even harder to obtain.

They only dropped from the last boss and competed with jewelry meaning there was only half a chance a weapon of any set or type would drop. That as also before we could change traits making the grind 8 times more arduous. Zos has increased the chance a weapon can drop in dungeons and we can change the trait. I get weapons much more often than before.

BTW, if you want to get Zos' attention on the matter, determine and provide the real chance of getting a specific weapon in a dungeon run and a real comparison of that chance to the chance of other types of drops in the same run. One player did that a few years ago and that seems to have lead to real change.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished a 18hrs grind for a firestaff, and have to agree with OP. The drop of weapons is way too low. If it wasnt that chest, i'd still be running through that dungeon.

A telvar, AP or key vendor would be reasonable.

• JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    They have always been rarer than other pieces, but they used to be even harder to obtain.

They only dropped from the last boss and competed with jewelry meaning there was only half a chance a weapon of any set or type would drop. That as also before we could change traits making the grind 8 times more arduous. Zos has increased the chance a weapon can drop in dungeons and we can change the trait. I get weapons much more often than before.

BTW, if you want to get Zos' attention on the matter, determine and provide the real chance of getting a specific weapon in a dungeon run and a real comparison of that chance to the chance of other types of drops in the same run. One player did that a few years ago and that seems to have lead to real change.

Yeah I don't care about how hard things were back in the day. I would've quit the game. I remember right after I started the transmutation crystals became a thing. If that wasn't in game, I would've quit for sure. I would hear the horrible tales of people doing vMA repeatedly for over a year multiple runs a day and still not get the weapon with the correct trait. That's not my idea of fun, I would just leave that nonsense to someone else.

To your other point about getting Zos's attention and doing all this work for them, I don't care that much. If they want to keep raking in the hundreds of dollars I spend on this game a year, they need to do the work to make their gamers happy. I want to play PVP content, not grind dungeons for months on end trying to get weapons to make 2 complete sets so I can then PVP and find out, "Oh there's a new update and all that gear is crap now. Awesome."

I am the customer. Keeping my business is their business. If I find I'm not having a good time, I will just take my business elsewhere. What I won't do is spend hours, days, weeks, and months of my time researching game mechanics so I can convince them to make their game more enjoyable. Better things to do with my time.

Alot of the better dungeon gear is located in a DLC dungeon, aka the harder dungeons. You could spend an hour a run in these dungeons easily and get no weapon because you have 3 chances at best of getting one (1 boss, and 2 treasure chests at best). Lets say you run this dungeon for 10 days, and play 3 hours a day. 30 runs and don't get the weapon you want and lots of your play time spent doing an activity you don't really want to do in the first place, just to get something that allows you to do what you actually WANT to do. You lose interest.

This isn't a threat to quit thread, so don't take it like that. This is me saying that the game design is forcing me to play content that isn't all that enjoyable for me with poor drop rates before I can play the content that I desire. Not a good look ZoS.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ya it would be nice to be able to buy everything from crown store, all dungeon and trial sets, pick what trait even. And then hang in discord nothing to do and compare our parses. Kids these days lmao.
    Put little effort into it.
    Pro tip ,
    farm vet with full group, better with friends. On vet drops seems better and chests are also higher tier, which means higher chance for set drops.
    But most people solo normals and complain. I've always gotten all the gear I've wanted. I don't see the issue here
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Ya it would be nice to be able to buy everything from crown store, all dungeon and trial sets, pick what trait even. And then hang in discord nothing to do and compare our parses...

Or actually play the game, which to me is PvP. Running hour after hour the same dungeon is just a nobrainer. A litle grind is ok, but it got to be a reasonable amount.

And no one was even menioning crownstore. So please stop the ***.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Ya it would be nice to be able to buy everything from crown store, all dungeon and trial sets, pick what trait even. And then hang in discord nothing to do and compare our parses. Kids these days lmao.
    Put little effort into it.
    Pro tip ,
    farm vet with full group, better with friends. On vet drops seems better and chests are also higher tier, which means higher chance for set drops.
    But most people solo normals and complain. I've always gotten all the gear I've wanted. I don't see the issue here

^^
    This. If you want a set badly enough, its worth farming. You can get ANY NUMBER of overland and/or crafted sets capable of taking you through any content in the game. It is you choosing to min/max...the game does not require it in any way, shape or form....so if you really want that extra 1k DPS or whatever it is you are after...you just have to grind like everyone else.
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought about something. I would often times see people releasing pvp builds like 1 week before a major update change. It would always make me laugh and say to myself "Why in the world are they releasing X patch builds today when Y patch comes out tomorrow and undoes all of that? Such a waste!" It probably took them that long just to get the gear together and get footage to release it.

To all of those I inwardly scorned for late build releases, I apologize. I get it now. Weapon drops are busted. You probably spent 2/3 of your game time getting that gear just to watch it melt in the sun before anyone could care about what you put together.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you finally give up the notion that 2% less DPS is not why you are dying in Cyrodiil, the Weapon, or Jewelry grind, is much less arduous. The alternative builds are much easier to obtain.

Then, you have time to work on your rotation, which is what really matters in this game. Not your gear.

Unless they keep these silly Cool Downs they are testing, then who knows what we will do.....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They could easily add chests to dungeons. Why not have 4 chests instead of the usual 2? Seems a simple solution to help with the pain of grinding.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the imperial city prison/white gold tower key frag system was a good one. You are kind of rewarded for grinding it so much, regardless of how bad your rng is. Then they stopped doing it... why? They should have explored it more. Every dungeon having a chest room where you can open them with key frags to get another shot at the sets you’re farming.
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Once you finally give up the notion that 2% less DPS is not why you are dying in Cyrodiil, the Weapon, or Jewelry grind, is much less arduous. The alternative builds are much easier to obtain.

Then, you have time to work on your rotation, which is what really matters in this game. Not your gear.

Unless they keep these silly Cool Downs they are testing, then who knows what we will do.....

So you read this thread, and your answer is to tastelessly try to judge my ability to play well in PVP? This has absolutely nothing to do with my performance in a pvp area. This is solely about drop rates.

Also, gear sets don't matter? Yeah, you keep the 4 sets of Trainee on. I will get the other sets (if possible).
    Edited by JSlayer211 on September 11, 2020 2:20PM
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    The gear grind in this game can be excessive. I think a reasonable option to address this issue would be to simply double the amount of chest spawns in a dungeon and perhaps increase the chance that those chests would be master chests. Another option would be to simply better reward hard modes. As it is now, unless a dungeon is a pledge, there's no reason to do hard mode once you've already completed it. Why not double loot drops like we've seen for ICP/WGT today on bosses?

There are so many things they could do at this point I often wonder why so little effort is put into making this game more accessible. Seems the only thing ZOS puts any effort in is stuff they can sell on the crown store.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »
    Another option would be to simply better reward hard modes. As it is now, unless a dungeon is a pledge, there's no reason to do hard mode once you've already completed it.

Great idea.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah drop rates kinda suck, but are you choosing to farm inefficiently?
    As was stated farm vet, are you doing this?
    Are you speed farming vet with a preformed group?
    Are you pugging vet?
    Are you just soloing normal?

If you answered yes to anything but preformed speed vet farming then remedy this situation.
    Chests are of a higher quality and preformed are generally more willing to communicate, ergo share, 4 is much better than 1.
    Personally my biggest gear issue wasn't a weapon in group content(speed farming vet works well enough now that transmutation exists) but a weapon in solo content lol.
  • djl1tr
    djl1tr
    I haven't been able to get the Empire shield in the White Gold tower for 2 months. I've been there about 60-70 times, it never falls to me or my group members. I go there as if for work, the whole game turned into a farm of one dungeon for me. Senseless and merciless farm
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSlayer211 wrote: »

So you read this thread, and your answer is to tastelessly try to judge my ability to play well in PVP? This has absolutely nothing to do with my performance in a pvp area. This is solely about drop rates.

Also, gear sets don't matter? Yeah, you keep the 4 sets of Trainee on. I will get the other sets (if possible).

Just stating some facts. The difference between the BIS and other more available efficient sets is around 2%. Dont see how that is a commentary on how you play. The difference between rotations have a significant impact on damage output, orders of magnitude more so than efficient gear sets. I have no idea what your rotation is.

And, where did i say anything about Trainee Gear. Or are you just making assumptions?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought about something. I would often times see people releasing pvp builds like 1 week before a major update change. It would always make me laugh and say to myself "Why in the world are they releasing X patch builds today when Y patch comes out tomorrow and undoes all of that? Such a waste!" It probably took them that long just to get the gear together and get footage to release it.

To all of those I inwardly scorned for late build releases, I apologize. I get it now. Weapon drops are busted. You probably spent 2/3 of your game time getting that gear just to watch it melt in the sun before anyone could care about what you put together.
    Before major updates are released live, they're put on the test server for anyone to test. If you ever want to try out what's coming up, hop on PTS (public test server).
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »

Before major updates are released live, they're put on the test server for anyone to test. If you ever want to try out what's coming up, hop on PTS (public test server).

I use the PTS regularly, thanks for the tip though. It's a bit hard to get actionable pvp gameplay on the test server (at least in my experience). I don't know all the hot spots, BG's are almost never active, and aimlessly wandering around a desolate Cyrodil doesn't appeal to me.
  • Kaizor88
    Kaizor88
    Soul Shriven
    Sorry I don't get it isn't farming gear part of this game? The problem isn't with farming the weapons .. the problem is with players rushing this game like there is no tomorrow . just relax and enjoy the game.

Edited by Kaizor88 on October 23, 2020 10:25AM
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, as a dual wielder having to farm TWO daggers for the set I know all about the agony... With the collection system we'll at least be able to recon the weapons instead of farming for the second dagger.
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Kaizor88 wrote: »
    Sorry I don't get it isn't farming gear part of this game? The problem isn't with farming the weapons .. the problem is with players rushing this game like there is no tomorrow . just relax and enjoy the game.

So yesterday I was in Castle Thorn, guy tells me he's been looking for a shield for over 50 runs. Begging and pleading that if anyone should find it, please let him have it. This is a PVP player farming Crimson gear so he can PLAY PVP. Everyone doesn't want to waste their time away on PVE content they don't enjoy so they can play PVP.

Makes me wonder if he will make it to 75+ runs or give up.
  • Lluanda
    Lluanda
    ✭✭✭

It's a bit different when you're trying to get a healer or tank geared up though, especially for PVE. A missing set on them can have a pretty big effect on an entire group.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Well, things seem to have changed. Today our intrepid group of 4 ran vet Imperial City Prison - made it farther than we ever had, but that still does NOT include actually beating the final boss....

I got a bow from one set and a mace from another.
    Another two people happened to get the exact same lightning staff.

Yes, the weapon, shield and ring drops are rare, but they do happen on occasion.

Nah, nothing's changed.

Some sets have named drops from bosses, which can be weapons.

Like that bow you had is off the watcher boos, is part of the sheer venom set and called the vigilant one (if I remember correctly). If that boss drops a weapon, it will always be that.

Outside of very specific drops with a name, only last boss and chests can drop weapons.
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Please do something, this is still a ridiculous grind.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine how much worse it would be if couldn't change traits and had no sticker book!

Yaknow like we had for years.