The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar PVE changes

pantherfan69
pantherfan69
✭✭
I am trying to work out the real impact of the changes to Templars with this update, as it pertains to PVE (mainly overland, public dungeon, etc). All the discussions i have seen devolve into PvP theorycrafting. I mainly use the solo Magika templar build from Alcast, and it feels like my health fluctuates a bit more, in other words i take damage and it takes longer to heal it back, where before it was a smaller damage amount.. This could be simply my view being colored by the negative posts, but i wondered what others have experienced?

As a backup i did start levelling a stamina sorc, so i could actually use weapons again, and the shielding and healing seems so much stronger than magplar now...
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m on XB1 so waiting for the patch to drop still. I’m also interested in this because I solo a lot on magplar. I know sweeps heals for less and the changes to ROR make it a class skill that will probably never be used because there are better self heal options available.

Solo magplar already traded damage for mitigation and it appears we have to trade even more plus some sustain for the higher cost of some abilities. The saving grace being that solo magplar is quite easy to play but some of the margins for survival are already thin particularly when soloing vet content. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been hanging on by less than 1K hp am been bailed out because I got another tick from ROR and a sweep or two landed just in time.

In the end is going to equate to more shields and heavy attacks just drawing out the fights a little longer. It’s not something I look forward to.
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    yes, i am wondering if i should change out RoR for a shield or some other skill :)
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    so far, if i use harness magika a bit more than i used to, thinks seem ok, though it means more work for sustain
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your hp sits over 18k, radiant ward is also pretty efficient. I pair this with Mother Ciannait and I basically have permanent shields.

I also noticed my hp flactuate a bit after the patch but I can't place my finger on it
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    I am using iceheart instead of mother ciannait, but that sounds like a decent idea, im also going to try having radiant ward in the mix, that is one i never bothered with in the past lol
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My healer is fully specced for heals, including powered trait on both bars. She is used to mediocre sweeps damage but spectacular sweeps self-heals (very handy with a boss in her face due to fake tanks in pugs). She still has mediocre sweeps damage but it seems as if her sweeps self-healing has gone to mediocre as well. Her health bar definitely moves around more than she's used to.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    i switched from julianos/mothers sorrow to light of cyrodiil/overwhelming surge, and the class plays very differently, dps is down a bit, but for soloing it seems to be quite good, may need to have a solo/group gear set lol
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i switched from julianos/mothers sorrow to light of cyrodiil/overwhelming surge, and the class plays very differently, dps is down a bit, but for soloing it seems to be quite good, may need to have a solo/group gear set lol

I was looking at this myself. Can’t get that overwhelming surge to drop to save my life though. Not in the traits I want at least. Feel like I’ll have better luck with mad tinkerer. Have 1/2 the set already.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My healer is fully specced for heals, including powered trait on both bars. She is used to mediocre sweeps damage but spectacular sweeps self-heals (very handy with a boss in her face due to fake tanks in pugs). She still has mediocre sweeps damage but it seems as if her sweeps self-healing has gone to mediocre as well. Her health bar definitely moves around more than she's used to.

Sweeps healing was nerfed, just like many other templar skills. Pvp strikes again. Lol. I had to get in that “jab.”
    Edited by carlos424 on August 30, 2020 6:25PM
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    lol yea that is a nice jab ;)

Overwhelming surge does seem to drop less for me than the other set items in there, but i just keep running through it, i have enough for the 5 piece bonus, but still working on getting divines on 2 of them. it is a different build than i was using for sure, the sustain even in its current nerfage is pretty good, just sacrificing the group friendly dps
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    still getting used to the cyro/surge setup, but i do hope they tweak sweeps heals a bit up, or at least give it more damage, my dps did take a nosedive with the set
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still getting used to the cyro/surge setup, but i do hope they tweak sweeps heals a bit up, or at least give it more damage, my dps did take a nosedive with the set

You know I would actually be OK with the changes if there was a way to cancel sweeps after casting it, even if it meant the damage was cut off. I can’t tell you how many times I keep getting rocked by mechanics because they pop up just as I’m pressing the button. Kyne’s Aegis was really kicking my butt the other day because those tidebreakers really had my number. What’s odd is that before I could just barely live through that mechanic on normal with the old sweeps plus RoR, but now there is a slim margin of error.
  • pantherfan69
    pantherfan69
    ✭✭
    yea there is a much tighter margin now, im sacrificing some dps for survivability atm, for what i run i think i will be ok, but im sure those pushing high end trials and stuff would not want to do that
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea there is a much tighter margin now, im sacrificing some dps for survivability atm, for what i run i think i will be ok, but im sure those pushing high end trials and stuff would not want to do that

Trials hasn’t really changed much. If your healers are on point you are fine so long as you stay disciplined and don’t freelance too much. Some 4 man vet content got interesting though especially groups that like to run 3DD and a tank. I have found myself slotting harness magicka. Fortunately I also have the psijic shield passive when blocking too. I definitely see a lot more red borders on my screen than I used too. Kind of makes the class more exciting. No more EZplar face tanking bosses without impunity anymore. The class needs a little bit of mobility or stam to make up for the amount of time we do spend in melee range. The amount of blocking and dodge rolling I do now to survive really eats into that stam pool.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplars are in a really bad spot. I need to run medusa so i free up a skill spot.