Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Fight for the Ruby Throne during the Imperial City Celebration"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sirvaleen wrote: »
    I don't normally go chasing threads around, but I just want to state that for those of us with physical limitations (like occasional severe hand tremors, in my case), being able to free citizens without leaving the rally points in "The Lifeblood Of An Empire" in the Arena District is a godsend. As I said in the other thread:

Being able to save citizens from the rally points is a lifesaver for me (and presumably other players) when my hand tremors start up, but I still want to partake in the event and get my tickets. Yes, it takes FOREVER because you have to wait for the NPC's to respawn, which is why I'm guessing it's working as intended: you can either run around town and get your citizens quickly if other players aren't being abusive jerks, OR you can sit up in the tower and wait around for a century until you get enough respawns to save all 12 citizens. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

Y'all, don't ruin something that doesn't harm anyone and actively helps some!

Agreed. If it actually has drawbacks and is just an alternative instead of a "cheese", I'm all for letting people have the option.

Having done it for testing purposes on an EP and DC character, I'm not sure it does have drawbacks, beyond having to wait in sneak from the safety of the rally point waiting for respawns.

All I had to do was attack from range, not die from the daedric AOEs (super easy when I could just take a few steps back and heal without getting hit), and then wait for the respawn. Compared to running around in the District with mobs, players, and sometimes bosses, it was much easier. Just more tedious to wait.

Now, that's not to say that its not a good option for players who want to avoid tangling with mobs, players, and maybe bosses. Or to say that it's unintended by ZOS even though using the rally point this way is much easier than all the other IC dailies - for all I know, ZOS is okay with having an easier, but tedious option for one of them. That's why I asked - I didn't realize this was possible and I'd like to know if its "okay" to use on a regular basis or if it was unintended.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds laggy .
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hint for players who dislike questing in Imperial City during the busy events but also hate running the PVE dungeons:

Do the dailies on your characters before the event starts. Then all you have to do is pop into your sewer base to turn them in.

Edit: Updated my Imperial City Event Guide for 2020
    PvPvE During the Imperial CIty Event 2020

awesome as ever, ty
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is ABSOLUTELY another drawback to the rally points.

Freeing citizens from the rally points in the Arena district daily isn't even 100% safe--other players can and often do kill you from the ground if they spot you up there. The invincibility zone doesn't extend all that far from the trap door, and you need to be fairly close to the citizens to get credit for freeing them. I've seen plenty of players die on the rally point platforms because they were outside of the invincibility zone, busy looking at their map/brought out of stealth by something/never entered stealth in the first place, and didn't realize they were in range for an attack.

EDIT: this almost actually happened to me just now. XD No hand tremors yet today. I thought I was good to run around the ground level of the districts getting into trouble, only to get an important call just as I logged in. So I was still stuck on the rally point light attacking Dremora with one hand, phone in the other. An enemy player came around a corner and saw me attacking, and launched an Ultimate that would have one-shot me if I hadn't been lucky enough to dodge without falling off. (And it was definitely luck, as I am not an elite player. LOL)

My partner also got killed while on the rally points recently because he had to run to the bathroom and didn't realize he wasn't completely safe while in sneak up on the platform. He came back to the keyboard to find his own corpse. XD

So, yeah, saving citizens from the rally points definitely has its own risks in counterpoint to its own rewards!

SECOND EDIT: I forgot to mention in my first reply another reason why I feel like this is 100% working as intended: the citizens near the rally points aren't random-location spawns. Devs had to PLACE them there, and this happened -at all three rally points-. If we had citizens close to only one alliance's rally point that you could save from the platform, I'd agree this is possibly not working as intended. But you can do this quest without leaving the platform across all three alliances. Three times is not a coincidence.

I'm not interested in replying to anything else you have to say on this, since I'm already massively side-eyeing you for doubling down on tattling, even when people pointed out to you that this harmless quest is beneficial to those of us with disabilities or other limitations that prevent normal gameplay all the time.
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on September 9, 2020 7:56PM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Freeing citizens from the rally points in the Arena district daily isn't even 100% safe--other players can and often do kill you from the ground if they spot you up there. The invincibility zone doesn't extend all that far from the trap door, and you need to be fairly close to the citizens to get credit for freeing them. I've seen plenty of players die on the rally point platforms because they were outside of the invincibility zone, busy looking at their map/brought out of stealth by something/never entered stealth in the first place, and didn't realize they were in range for an attack.

EDIT: this almost actually happened to me just now. XD No hand tremors yet today. I thought I was good to run around the ground level of the districts getting into trouble, only to get an important call just as I logged in. So I was still stuck on the rally point light attacking Dremora with one hand, phone in the other. An enemy player came around a corner and saw me attacking, and launched an Ultimate that would have one-shot me if I hadn't been lucky enough to dodge without falling off. (And it was definitely luck, as I am not an elite player. LOL)

My partner also got killed while on the rally points recently because he had to run to the bathroom and didn't realize he wasn't completely safe while in sneak up on the platform. He came back to the keyboard to find his own corpse. XD

So, yeah, saving citizens from the rally points definitely has its own risks in counterpoint to its own rewards!

You were able to retreat to safety with a dodge roll when a player attacked. That's exactly why I say this method is considerably easier than completing any other IC daily.

The rally points are not 100% safe, but its a lot safer for a player who paying attention than freeing citizens on the ground. And its A LOT safer than doing any other IC daily, all of which require getting off the rally point and onto the ground where you might face mobs, players, and sometimes district boss.

All I really want to know is if ZOS thinks its an okay method to use regularly, that way I can wholeheartedly recommend it for players who dislike PVP.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You were able to retreat to safety with a dodge roll when a player attacked. That's exactly why I say this method is considerably easier than completing any other IC daily.

The rally points are not 100% safe, but its a lot safer for a player who paying attention than freeing citizens on the ground. And its A LOT safer than doing any other IC daily, all of which require getting off the rally point and onto the ground where you might face mobs, players, and sometimes district boss.

All I really want to know is if ZOS thinks its an okay method to use regularly, that way I can wholeheartedly recommend it for players who dislike PVP.

Even though I understand that your question stems from whether or not it's ok for you to include this method in your (very excellent) guide, a part of me wishes you hadn't even brought it up. With all the bugs and problems with the game, it would be an entirely ZOS move to take time to fix this possibly unintended bug while leaving a lot of the rest of the game an entire mess. :D

That said, I think it's fair to ask this question, given your desire to include this option for players who dislike PvP. And if they fix it, it won't make any difference to me since I won't ever do these unless for this event. Thankfully, the moment I saw it was up for testing on PTS, I worked with my spouse to queue up a couple of characters, doing all 6 dailies on them, and then did the Arena quest on a third so I'd be able to turn in for all 13 "days".

Got killed a few times by players but just respawned in my base, deposited any remaining TV, and went out again. I wasn't patient enough to use the Arena district trick, but I did save two from the rally point if they were there, prior to jumping down to do the rest. If I had waited until the event started, though, I would probably have done just that quest every day using the trick.

All in all, I hope it's something that will stay, as I don't think one daily quest giving an easier avenue for PvErs is really a big issue, especially given that presumably this has been an option since the dailies were introduced. Is it really necessary for them to change it after all these years? On the other hand, if it is unintended, then it's perfectly within their rights to fix it, as they have done with pretty much anything unintended that is of benefit to the player. And I understand your motivation in asking, as I know you don't want to include something in your guide that ZOS might consider an exploit.

Also want to mention that your guide was a lifesaver! I didn't see it in time for the Midhear Mayhem event, but was ready when I saw the IC event on PTS to get everything queued up. Also, your comments that everyone dies in PvP, and that one should be prepared to die even if just doing quests, as other players are there to PvP. Many players got an easy kill from me (though very little TV), as I didn't fight back - though one player took so long to kill me that I just started running in circles around them, LOL.