The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

A bit reluctant to try healing......advice?

bmw1966
bmw1966
Soul Shriven
So I have a Templar Im building to give healing a try. Currently Im about CP 60'ish.........how are the horror stories? How toxic is the community to "new" healers? ant advice as to if I should persue this adventure?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it. If you aren't confident about jumping in, start by healing the dungeons in the order they unlock.

Most players will be perfectly fine with whatever you do, as long as you heal and stay alive. Harder content means its good to add damage and group buffs to the mix.

The only caution I would make is that you will probably run into a number of fake tanks - that is, tanks who don't hold boss aggro, and thus the boss is likely to be all up in your face. If you can survive, the best thing to do is stand in place and heal yourself/the group. If you can't survive, my friend's healer tends to kite the boss around and snap in group chat "tank, please hold boss aggro." YMMV, as most fake tanks dislike being called out on failing to fill the role they queued for.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st: in most dungeons healing isn't exactly demanding. Even in vet DLC dungeons the worst damage more often than not comes from (lack of knowlegde of) mechanics or 1-shot boss attacks that do 100,000 damage anyway.

2nd: rest Staff skill Regeneration (with its Morphs) is the easiest healing skill in any game. It has a range of 28 and automatically seeks its target. I'll dare to say that you can heal 90% of the dungeons by just using this one skill.

3rd: in ESO healers usually also provide buffs/debuffs, damage shields or add some damage.
    Edited by Eifleber on August 28, 2020 3:03PM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • bmw1966
    bmw1966
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replys.

Any specific skill setup for reg & vet dungeons? - Magika Templar.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't pug. Join guild. Run with guildies. Ask them for advice.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmw1966 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.

Get your Combat Prayer, Orbs, Elemental Drain, Luminous Shards, and your Templar healing skills unlocked for reg & vet dungeons, @bmw1966.

Elemental Drain means looking for a back bar Destruction Staff when you have some downtime.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 28, 2020 4:44PM
  • bmw1966
    bmw1966
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replys.

Get your Combat Prayer, Orbs, Elemental Drain, Luminous Shards, and your Templar healing skills unlocked for reg & vet dungeons, @bmw1966.

Elemental Drain means looking for a back bar Destruction Staff when you have some downtime.

Ok will do......one more thing....what are"orbs" ??
  • RavenLake
    RavenLake
    ✭✭✭
    Healing is not hard. What you want is to add some buffs/debuffs and maybe damage to the mix. You want to be the all around support for the DPS and tank, keep them alive, and help them kill enemies more efficiently. You basically have to monitor the battlefield and keep tabs on everyone. Its a super fun role for dungeons and also solo play.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I have a Templar Im building to give healing a try. Currently Im about CP 60'ish.........how are the horror stories? How toxic is the community to "new" healers? ant advice as to if I should persue this adventure?

In PUGs the toxicity is usually focused on the DDs, but regardless, you shouldn't let something like that hold you back from trying out a new role. There's plenty of guides available if you need tips on how to be more effective, what gear to wear, etc., but to start just slot on your healing skills, and try your best to learn the mechanics from a healer's POV (for eg., stand behind the DDs, mind the tank, premptive heals, and the more advanced buffing of group, debuffing the boss, providing resources and so on). I would say if you are really worried about group finder to try your first runs as a healer with guildmates or friends, so you won't get stressed, and maybe they can provide pointers along the way as well.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Orbs' means the Undaunted skill of Necrotic Orb, which has two morphs. It sends out an 'orb' that does damage and, depending on the morph you pick either does more damage or heals. Either morph can actually work for a healer since the main benefit of the skill is the synergy it offers allies which boosts their mag/stam resources. Orbs is a good skill to help your group keep their stam/mag up. An alternative available to your templar is the Spear Shards skill (and morphs) that can also help your allies manage their resources. Some templar healers run both skills, generally dropping shards on their tank and sending out orbs to their damage dealers.

There are more than 10 very good and relevant skills for a templar healer that include:

Destro Staff: Elemental Drain, Wall of Elements (lightning is popular).
    Resto Staff: Combat Prayer, Rapid Regen, Illustrious Healing.
    Templar: Shards, Reflective Light, Sweeps, Radiant Glory, Extended Ritual, Channeled Focus, Breath of Life.
    Other skills: Orbs (Undaunted).

It is a matter of trying them and see what seems to work best and provides the best overall results for you. This can vary by the type of content you generally heal. A 'pug' healer supporting strangers will likely use a somewhat different skill setup than a vet dungeon healer working with a prearranged group used to working together.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • kabflash
    kabflash
    Soul Shriven

I've been playing this game for about 2 weeks now somewhere around just 150 hours or so(just hit cp 160). I started queing as a healer pretty much right away (playing Magika Necro). Running multiple random dungeons every day, I have not had a single person complain or be toxic in any way towards my healing even in the few cases there was wipes and deaths or whatnot. People saying that healing is not hard at all however is kind of a bit of misinfo. There are a lot of the vanilla normal dungeons that it's super easy for the most part and I can actually spend a lot of time throwing in extra DPS and keep everyone up with just restorations regen spell and a couple other heals now and then. Some are even so easy I can be full aggro and keep everyone alive with Winters Respite set procs. But there are some dungeons that can be very demanding for the healer especially when you are lower level/cp and keeping up with magika and in some cases either a tank that isn't holding aggro or those 12k hp DPS that are insanely squishy where it can definitely be a tough ass job. Some dungeons just have harder mechanics and not everyone in PUGS will know what they are doing including you.

That said even in the tougher situations I've ran into and in the runs that it was difficult to keep everyone alive, nobody has been toxic whatsoever. It seems people are generally happy to have any healer putting effort into keeping them up. Just make sure if you are going to queue healer that you've actually invested into Resto staff and whatever buffing/healing your class offers (for necros this is quite a lot I don't know anything about other classes). All my CP for the time being is being dumped into Magika regen and healing boosts to make things a bit easier.
    Edited by kabflash on August 28, 2020 6:27PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing really isnt that difficult until you get into end game trial content. The best advice to new healers is to understand that keeping your players at full health is only a small part of the job. Don't get me wrong, it's an important part, but if that is all you do, you arent doing very well.

At a minimum, you should understand that players have three resources, health, magic and stam, and you should be doing something to help with all of them, not just health. Synergies are a really important part of that. Orbs for the DPS and shards for the tank will put you ahead of most pug healers.

Your next job is to try and buff your group. The three obvious ones for most groups are going to be combat prayer (minor berserk) Aggressive Warhorn (Major Force), and Restoring Aura(Templar Skill)/Elemental Drain (Minor Magicka Steal). These three are going to increase base damage, crit damage, and resources for your mag DPS.

I would look to construct a basic healing rotation. It is much like a DPS rotation, but the downsides for not weaving or over casting skills are not nearly as punishing. Who cares if you cast your combat prayer a few seconds early. If you want to mix some damage into your rotation once you get the hang of it, great, but dont ever feel like you need to be a DPS. Your job is to manage resources, buff group members, debuff appointments. I do recommend that all Templar healers in 4 man make from for sweeps and radiant destruction in terms of offensive skills. Sweeps can be worked into a healing rotation, especially for trash pulls, and a few beams in execute can save a fight that is falling apart. In Trials, damage is simply not your job. You also want a burst heal like Breath of Life for those oh crap moments, but they really dont need to be part of your rotation. Your HOTs (heals over time) should be enough for the passive damage you group is going to take.

In terms of gear, I would suggest focusing on raw magic stats at the outset (Something like Kags and Julianos works just fine). You need a decent amount of recovery (especially when learning), and both max magic and spell damage will amplify your heals. That said, as you get more comfortable, you should really be looking for 5 piece sets that buff your group in some way. Resource management will get easier with practice, and the reality is, most healers wildly over heal.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healing is very easy in this game because of all the strong hots you can overlap, which is why you're not really a healer, but a support role.. when players die, you will initially feel like it was your fault.. In reality your DD was probably standing in red because they prioritized their dps rotation over survival. There is also group wiping mechanics that a healer simply can't help with, it's just every players responsibility to follow mechanics themselves. The healer can do their best to save players, but it sometimes only goes so far.

It kind of puts a target on the DD's backs for toxicity, their effectiveness can be gauged based on overall group dps. Eg, if you're a healer and you're doing 20-30% of your dps and your tank is doing 10-20%, there is a huge problem with the DD's. There is no real metric for a healer or tank being bad, but a bad DD is almost always noticable from the first ad pull.

A bad DD can make a 20-30 minute run take 2 hours. A "bad" healer means maybe slot your own heal. Bad tanks are just super rare in my experience because there is so few in the first place, that they're dedicated to the role and get frequent opportunities to improve since their queue times are instant.

The annoying part about being a tank or healer in a pug dungeon is the higher likelihood of longer dungeon runs. Yes, your queues will be shorter, but you have way less control over the ability to carry the team. Eg, there is 2 damage roles, you're not 1 of them. If both your DD's are sub par, you're in for a long road ahead of you. If you're 1/2 DD's, you can at least make up for the other player.

The above point is kind of why I prefer to play DD despite longer queue times, in the end I have more control over a quick dungeon run then I would as a support role.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 28, 2020 10:54PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it. Healing is the easiest role for beginners. Speck for high spell power and spam the resto heals (combat prayer and regeneration). In a pinch use your class heals. Throw luminous shards to your allies especially the tank. One thing to look out for is your defenses. Aim for 20k health and stay out of red.

May the Empyrean light of Aldmeris guide your steps.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • VoxAdActa
    VoxAdActa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm gonna hijack this thread with a question that's been burning in me since I started trying to build a healer. This is probably also a dumb question.

Why Elemental Drain instead of Siphon Spirit?

The tank's taunt already applies Major Breach. It looks to me like having Magicka Steal and Lifesteal would be objectively more useful than having Magicka Steal and a debuff that won't stack with what the tank's already laying down.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The annoying part about being a tank or healer in a pug dungeon is the higher likelihood of longer dungeon runs. Yes, your queues will be shorter, but you have way less control over the ability to carry the team. Eg, there is 2 damage roles, you're not 1 of them. If both your DD's are sub par, you're in for a long road ahead of you. If you're 1/2 DD's, you can at least make up for the other player.
    In dungeons it's not necessary to dedicate all your 10 skills to healing & support.

Especially if you queue for normal non-DLC runs it's not needed and you beter add some damage.
    Normally healers can heal and still provide some additional DPS; orbs do damage and also Elemental Blockade.

It's not unusual to wear 1 healing bar and 1 dps bar in non-DLC normal modes.
    You're more useful and it's more fun imo; some dungeons are so easy that you hardly have anything to do as healer.

Edited by Eifleber on August 29, 2020 7:53AM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    VoxAdActa wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna hijack this thread with a question that's been burning in me since I started trying to build a healer. This is probably also a dumb question.

Why Elemental Drain instead of Siphon Spirit?

The tank's taunt already applies Major Breach. It looks to me like having Magicka Steal and Lifesteal would be objectively more useful than having Magicka Steal and a debuff that won't stack with what the tank's already laying down.

Since changes to Ransack morph (gives Minor Prot now) tanks more often use it instead of Pierce Armor, and it gives only physical penetration.
    Minor Lifesteal usually gets from Blood Altar, because it's just easier to use and it covers huge area and also provides good synergy for Alkosh or just "oh crap" situation.
    Also you don't have much more room on your Resto staff bar. So here's Ele Drain comes. And since magika steal restores magika once every second you don't need to keep it on every trash mob, and it's easy to keep it on bosses.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it.

I found dps was also pretty toxic, which was one reason I decided to try healing. When I did, I went on to heal as my main character for at least the next year, probably almost 2. I grew to love healing.

Queue times are a joy usually as well :)
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've played a healer for a very long time. So long as you don't have fools who don't understand that you can't heal a 1 Shot Kill, you'll be fine. In my experience, people generally don't blame the healer nearly as much as some people seem to think.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replys.

Breath of Life
    Regeneration
    Combat Prayer
    Steadfast Ward
    Extended Ritual
    Rune Focus
    Luminous Shards
    Healing Springs
    Energy Orb
    Harness Magicka
    Aggressive Warhorn
    Replenishing Barrier

A very simple starting build would be as listed below. You are providing a Buff, Recovery, and additional Healing. It hits all the marks.

Spell Power Cure - White Gold Tower

(2 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (5 items) When you overheal yourself or an ally, you give the target Major Courage for 5 seconds which increases their Weapon Damage and Spell Damage by 258.

Hollowfang Thirst - Moongrave Fane

(2 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (5 items) Whenever you critically heal or critically damage a target, spawn a ball of Hemoglobin at their location. After 2 seconds the ball explodes, restoring 2523 Magicka and applying Minor Vitality to you and your group members within 6 meters of the ball for 9 seconds, increasing their healing received by 8%. This effect can occur once every 9 seconds.

Nightflame - Elden Hollow II

(1 item) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (2 items) When you heal yourself or an ally, you have a 20% chance to summon a totem for 6 seconds that heals you and your allies within 5 meters for 2460 Health every 1 second. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.
    Edited by kathandira on September 1, 2020 12:16PM
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • vectoraz22
    Iike everybody here has said just go for it! I main a dps stamdk and I have several other dps toons but I will be honest by saying that my favorite toon to play on is my Templar healer. It's straight easy mode and you can usually get in to content then your cp just because you're a healer. Combat prayer, Ilustrious healing, breath of life and purifying light are your go to's. Use illustrious healing for your healing over time ability that you always want to have on the ground near the boss, tank and the dps. Combat prayer use you will want to use frenquently for the extra damage buff that the group will utilize and as a burst heal. Breath of life is your go-to for ppl who are taking heavy damage for the quick recovery. Use purifying light pretty fairly often to defuff the group and also for the added heals. And you also will want to use your resto on the boss inbetween to generate your magica regen. But the most important thing is to start aqquiring your healing sets as soon as you can. Olo and hollowfang are great.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing is quite easy to be honest. Every healer is expected to keep their teammates' health full. The trick is what ELSE can you do to contribute to the group besides that? Equip some sets that give group buffs/debuffs, and learn to manage your resources and you have 75% of healing down. The other 25% is just learning encounters and learning when you need to burst heal vs. rely on your heals over time while you contribute something else to
    kathandira wrote: »

I've played a healer for a very long time. So long as you don't have fools who don't understand that you can't heal a 1 Shot Kill, you'll be fine. In my experience, people generally don't blame the healer nearly as much as some people seem to think.

And those that do are usually the idiots who are not standing where they need to be standing in order to receive the heals - i.e., if you don't stand in front of the healer, combat prayer doesn't hit you; if your wandering around far away from your healer, the only heal you MAY get is radiating regeneration - if it is even equipped at all. In those cases, its a "them" problem not a "you" problem.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And those that do are usually the idiots who are not standing where they need to be standing in order to receive the heals - i.e., if you don't stand in front of the healer, combat prayer doesn't hit you; if your wandering around far away from your healer, the only heal you MAY get is radiating regeneration - if it is even equipped at all. In those cases, its a "them" problem not a "you" problem.

Totally. This is why I encourage everyone to make 4 characters.

Tank
    Healer
    Melee DD
    Ranged DD.

Once a player understands everything from all 4 perspectives, then they can criticize lol.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries mate, if its getting difficult just blame the tank.