The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How competitive can you be with just gear from PVP vendors and Overland sets?

taugrim
taugrim
✭✭✭✭✭
So those are both very easy-to-obtain, because you can buy pieces from Guild Traders and from the NPC vendors in Cyrodiil.

Questions:
1. In your experience, how competitive can you be with such gear, without gear from trials, dungeons, etc?
2. How many gear pieces do you feel needs to be gold as opposed to purple?

So far I have tried on my Stamden:
* Seventh Legion Brute for Heavy Armor. Not enough sustain
* Mark of the Pariah for Heavy Armor. Not enough sustain nor damage. This is an amazing set for survivability.
* Eternal Vigor for Heavy Armor. Excellent sustain, happy I acquired it
* Spriggans for Medium Armor. Nice set for damage
* Shadow of the Red Mountain: The proc is solid burst damage, also happy with this set

The only gold gear I have so far is Maul with Nirnhoned.
Edited by taugrim on July 1, 2021 12:57AM
PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
  • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
  • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, my armor is purple (easy to get there).

Most of my jewelry is blue, it's crazy expensive to upgrade.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% competitive with those sets
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    So those are both very easy-to-obtain, because you can buy pieces from Guild Traders and from the NPC vendors in Cyrodiil.

Questions:
    1. In your experience, how competitive can you be with such gear, without gear from trials, dungeons, etc?

* Mark of the Pariah for Heavy Armor. Not enough sustain nor damage
    * Shadow of the Red Mountain: The proc is solid burst damage, also happy with this set

Aside from my moster set i literally cant remember the time i used a dungeon set besides essence thief. I also have just purple and feel fine
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned in the post above mine, the difference between purple and gold is not a lot ... even in PvP.

But if gold is imperative for you, gold out your weapons first, @taugrim. Then start working on the rest of your gear.

With a few exceptions, Trials gear is not that great for PvP ... set buffs such as Minor Slayer and Minor Aegis are useless because you're fighting players and not bosses.

Other than that, you can do pretty well with overland/dungeon dropped gear and PvP gear, for sure.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Most of what it takes for a player to be competitive come from that player's skill. So any player can be competitive with overland and PvP sets if they choose wisely. There are good sets.

2. Only weapons need to be gold. The increase of set bonus and traits from purple to gold is small but the increase in SD/WD between a purple and gold weapon is significant regardless of the set bonus involved.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have some gold, I would suggest paying for crafted armor. Lot of BiS is crafted armor rn. New Moon Acolyte, Stuhn, Orgnum for defense... I bought 5 pieces NMA 2 weeks ago for 45k plus nirn mats. Just ask in zone chat in one of the major cities.
    But overland is also very good.
    XBox One - NA
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be as competitive as anyone with sets from these sources.
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be 100% competitive with those sets. I only PvP and I've never used a trial set, I honestly don't even know if there are any that would be useful for PvP?

Regarding dungeon gear, take a look at a few ESO streamers and content creators and you'll find plenty of them who use builds without any dungeon gear either with the exception of monster sets.

As I don't do PvE, every build I've ever made or used has been comprised of overland items and craftable ones. My "old faithful" sets are just boring old Spriggans/Spinners, Crafty Alfiq, Necropotence, New Moon Acolyte, and Shacklebreaker. You could honestly make a competent and solid enough PvP build, stam or mag, on any class using a combination of those. There's only been two times I've set foot in a (normal) dungeon for gear, ever, and that was for Titanborn and Caluurion. That's it. Both of which were only farmed for one specific build on one specific character.

As for gold, the only thing that "needs" to be gold is your weapon. Even still, if you're broke and in a purple weapon you can survive so long as you know what you're doing. Gold apparel and jewelry is mostly unnecessary, as the benefit between purple and gold is very small. If you want to totally min-max then yeah, go for gold, but it's absolutely not a requirement. Of all the PvP characters I have, the only one with gold gear is my main, and only because I wanted to have someone golded out just for the sake of it. Everyone else is in purple gear with only a gold weapon.
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lot of good crafted sets. Mechanical Acuity could be strong in no-CP with its new instant proc if you use it well. Too bad New Moon Acolyte just got nerfed. Clever Alchemist has been popular for a while. Tho you only want ONE crafted set because jewelry is like 10x more expensive to upgrade than armor & weapons

Swamp Raider just got a big buff, and Morag Tong was buffed to include a disease damage debuff, as well. Fury has been popular for a while, now. Briarheart is also pretty good if you want weapon damage with a good uptime. There's so many ways to build for PvP, but these are more standard damage-focused ones.

If you can PvP, you can definitely do normal dungeons. Especially non-DLC ones will all be very easy
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Questions:

* Mark of the Pariah for Heavy Armor. Not enough sustain nor damage

1) I don't know why you would exclude dungeons given their ease. Without a monster set you will be at a disadvantage (assuming no mythics, no arena weapon sets). Assuming you are willing to get a monster set, you can have an extremely strong build with just zone drops/crafted gear.
    2) Weapons must be gold, nothing else needs to be. It is beneficial to gold everything but it isn't the end of the world if its in purple.

You can try Clever Alchemist and New Moon Acolyte, both crafted. There's a lot of love for Venomous Smite too, but not my favorite.

If you are having sustain trouble, remember you can switch up food, mundus, and/or ring enchants to find the sweet spot given different gear setups.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    your only hope of survival and even an outside chance of being "competitive" is to endlessly and mindlessly farm dark, dank, dirty caverns...over and over and over again....

just kidding...

there are some useful monster pieces that haven't hit the golden yet...a couple of really cool "theme" type gear sets...

pretty much though - if all you wanna do is pvp, you can pvp...

main challenge with that though is that it's hard to make a lot of coin just doing pvp...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »
    1) I don't know why you would exclude dungeons given their ease. Without a monster set you will be at a disadvantage (assuming no mythics, no arena weapon sets). Assuming you are willing to get a monster set, you can have an extremely strong build with just zone drops/crafted gear.

It's not an issue of difficulty per se. I just get tired of running dungeons.

Velidreth is on sale from the PVP vendor so I'll buy the helm and eventually try to get the shoulders with Undaunted keys (unless there is a better / more efficient way).

Thanks for feedback and guidance!
    Edited by taugrim on August 30, 2020 1:15AM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, add crafted gear to your list of easy to acquire options. Some of them are very competitive.

Also, crafted gear gives you maximum flexibility with weights and traits, making it easier to get your build exactly how you want it.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark of the Pariah for Heavy Armor. Not enough sustain nor damage
    you can go on light or medium with pariah with heavy resistances.... and that is lots of damage or/and lots of resources

main challenge with that though is that it's hard to make a lot of coin just doing pvp

join a trade guild and u Will win a lot of money from pvp
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would definetly go with Eternal Vigor, I'd recommend you wear it on jewelery and chest and leg pieces, even if you don't have access to transmute crystals, maximum health scales really well on stamina warden due minor toughness and arctic blast.
    On gloves, boots and belt you can use spriggans and a maul, if you don't already have one, there is named piece called Foe Smasher(yepp xD), that's very easy to get.
    As for monster mask, engine guardian or malubeth are both great choices for pvp, and the dungeons they come from are very easy to do.
    If you absolutely don't want to use monster mask, go for 2 pc trainee on the head and shoulders, its an overland set that just got omegabuffed, for 1400 hp and Magicka.
    I don't know how new you are op, but jointing a trade guild, is very important for making gold in this game.
    Make sure you level your crafting professions and do your daily crafting writs, those can make you a good chunk of gold almost passively.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    100% competitive with those sets

Thanks.
    erio wrote: »
    Aside from my moster set i literally cant remember the time i used a dungeon set besides essence thief. I also have just purple and feel fine

Relieved to hear this.

I did get 2-pc Velidreth over the weekend with my first 5 UP vendor purchase, although the shoulders were medium armor and I wanted heavy. I may have lucked out as the trait on the Shoulders was Divines, so at least I didn't get a garbage trait nor light armor.

I'm debating whether to grind UP to try to get a heavy armor Velidreth shoulders or to use the UP to try for another set of shoulders (e.g. Sellistrix).
    But if gold is imperative for you, gold out your weapons first, @taugrim. Then start working on the rest of your gear.

Yes, I'm doing that starting with the 2H (frontbar).

For Stamina Warden, do you recommend Maul for the pen or Battle Axe for the bleed?
    With a few exceptions, Trials gear is not that great for PvP ... set buffs such as Minor Slayer and Minor Aegis are useless because you're fighting players and not bosses.

OK thanks.

I'm relieved not to HAVE to grind Trials.
    idk wrote: »
    2. Only weapons need to be gold. The increase of set bonus and traits from purple to gold is small but the increase in SD/WD between a purple and gold weapon is significant regardless of the set bonus involved.

Thanks.

I upgraded a Purple Maul to Gold and the tooltip on Subterranean Assault went up ~6%. It's significant.
    Swomp23 wrote: »
    If you have some gold, I would suggest paying for crafted armor. Lot of BiS is crafted armor rn. New Moon Acolyte, Stuhn, Orgnum for defense... I bought 5 pieces NMA 2 weeks ago for 45k plus nirn mats. Just ask in zone chat in one of the major cities.

I may get NMA at some point but for now I'm experimenting with proc-based builds for BG.

My first 5-pc proc set is Shadow of the Red Mountain and I like it. The proc is reliable and can hit a moving target. Granted, it's visible so dodgeable.
    You can be as competitive as anyone with sets from these sources.

Thanks.
    JayKwellen wrote: »
    Gold apparel and jewelry is mostly unnecessary, as the benefit between purple and gold is very small. If you want to totally min-max then yeah, go for gold, but it's absolutely not a requirement. Of all the PvP characters I have, the only one with gold gear is my main, and only because I wanted to have someone golded out just for the sake of it. Everyone else is in purple gear with only a gold weapon.

Once I get my weapons golded I may gold select armor pieces.

The cost for upgrading to or beyond purple for jewelry is prohibitive so I'll likely spend my money and time acquiring more sets instead of upgrading my jewelry.
    Tho you only want ONE crafted set because jewelry is like 10x more expensive to upgrade than armor & weapons

Yea I didn't realize this until I started looking at mats for upgrading jewelry.

I suppose this isn't going to change because jewelry was implemented this way years ago. There was a thread I read before jewelcrafting even launched talking about how messed up the costs would be.
    geonsocal wrote: »
    main challenge with that though is that it's hard to make a lot of coin just doing pvp...

Yea I plan on farming Imperial City / Sewers to help with cash flow.
    As others have said, add crafted gear to your list of easy to acquire options. Some of them are very competitive.

Also, crafted gear gives you maximum flexibility with weights and traits, making it easier to get your build exactly how you want it.

What I've been landing on so far for my Stamina Warden...

With Monster Set: 5/5/2
    - Monster Sets: preferably heavy armor
    - Chest/Legs/Boots: heavy armor set
    - Belt/Boots: medium armor, since these slots have the smallest armor gap between medium and heavy
    - Jewelry: 3 pieces to pair with the Belt/Boots
    - Weapons: pieces to pair with the Chest/Legs/Boots

No Monster Set: 5/5/2
    - Chest/Legs/Helm/Shoulder/Boots: 5-pc heavy armor
    - Belt/Boots: medium armor, since these pieces have the smallest armor gap between medium and heavy
    - Jewelry: 3 pieces to pair with the Belt/Boots
    - Weapons: separate 2-pc bonus
    Firstmep wrote: »
    I would definetly go with Eternal Vigor, I'd recommend you wear it on jewelery and chest and leg pieces, even if you don't have access to transmute crystals, maximum health scales really well on stamina warden due minor toughness and arctic blast.

I eventually plan on replacing Health on heavy armor with tri-stat.
    As for monster mask, engine guardian or malubeth are both great choices for pvp, and the dungeons they come from are very easy to do.

What is Malubeth?

I have 2-pc Velidreth and Sellistrix helm, thanks to Golden NPC over the weekend :smile:
    I don't know how new you are op, but jointing a trade guild, is very important for making gold in this game.
    Make sure you level your crafting professions and do your daily crafting writs, those can make you a good chunk of gold almost passively.

I haven't looked into joining a trading guild, but it would be nice to sell set drops that I have no interest in using.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • sami.uotilaeb17_ESO
    It feels everyone is using procsets in non-cp BGs doing 300k-1.2mil damage per battle.

Kind of curious what setup (which 2 procset combined) you get those +1mil Damages...
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels everyone is using procsets in non-cp BGs doing 300k-1.2mil damage per battle.

Kind of curious what setup (which 2 procset combined) you get those +1mil Damages...

In ~30 BGs at CP160+, I have yet to see anyone break 1MM damage.

But I see people in the 500-800k range pretty frequently, with 800+k being unusual.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • sami.uotilaeb17_ESO

In ~30 BGs at CP160+, I have yet to see anyone break 1MM damage.

But I see people in the 500-800k range pretty frequently, with 800+k being unusual.

I have seen 3-5 times above million and 1.2mil being highest. Feels like 2 Procsets are needed and and build with a lot of Whirling Blades : )
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High total damage in a BG is usually paired with a lot of healing. With two teams having competent healers, damage dealers spamming AOEs can easily exceed 1mil damage. The healers keep people alive, so you can keep pouring on damage. I've seen 2mil damage with this scenario, 1mil being fairly routine.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High total damage in a BG is usually paired with a lot of healing. With two teams having competent healers, damage dealers spamming AOEs can easily exceed 1mil damage. The healers keep people alive, so you can keep pouring on damage. I've seen 2mil damage with this scenario, 1mil being fairly routine.

Yea especially in premades you can have very protracted fights.

In PUGs, there tend to be fewer healers and fights don't tend to last.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭

What is Malubeth?

I have 2-pc Velidreth and Sellistrix helm, thanks to Golden NPC over the weekend :smile:

I haven't looked into joining a trading guild, but it would be nice to sell set drops that I have no interest in using.

This set https://eso-sets.com/set/scourge-harvester
    Pretty popular replacement for bloodspawn since the nerf for stam user.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xshatox wrote: »

I don't own that but I don't like:
    #1: the low proc rate (10%)
    #2: having to stay within 8m to maintain the beam. The beam can be broken by teleport/leap or with CCs

Do folks who have Scourge Harvester and Velidreth's prefer SH?

I only have Velidreth's right now but I do like it.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#2: having to stay within 8m to maintain the beam. The beam can be broken by teleport/leap or with CCs

Scourge harvest is something you have to adapt your playstyle to. If it didn't suit how you wanna play it's awful.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is Malubeth?

BS got ungutted this patch, I'll probably run it again on a couple toons.
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭

Its mostly used for brawler type playstyle. If you play range it will be less usefull.

What is Malubeth?

BS got ungutted this patch, I'll probably run it again on a couple toons.
    Indeed. Not as much as before nerfed but better than before this last patch. I use this set to increase ulti regen. Combined with with asylum frontbar and clever alchemist bacbar this a deadly combination for stamden.