Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Necromancer class worth buying?

Berchelous
Berchelous
✭✭✭✭
Hello all. I'm kinda bored with the classes that i like right now. I want to try something new. I've played stamdk, magsorc, stamden, magplar so far. I like the necromancer concept. However, i have to buy this class to play it because i don't have the dlc. My question is that is it worth buying this class for 1500 crowns?
I play PVP and i like pve healing and tanking mostly. Also i like soloing some stuff such as bosses and public dungeons.

I got some questions:
-Is rotation or playstyle similar to warden? Because i don't like the warden playstyle much due to press sub every 3 sec. Also i hate that bug theme maybe that's the reason idk.
-Do criminal act skills affect the overworld content? I hate get bounty mistakenly already.
-Is magcro good/ viable in pvp? I know stamcros are very good but wonder the magicka side.
-Which race would be ideal for lore wise? I think of playing dunmer to switch between mag and stam or imperial because it fits very well in my opinion.
- How is the current state of the class after this new patch?
- I like tankiness with damage while i'm playing in pvp if that matters.
- If i buy elsweyr dlc will necromancer class come with it?
- I love playing bg deathmatches and group pvp in cyrodiil.
- I am definitely not min/maxer or meta guy.
- How is the class identity? I don't want to use non-class ability much.
- How is necro in trials? Is it wanted by groups?

Note: I know there are lot of questions so you can answer the question you want to answer. Also, i know it would be best for me to buy and try the class but i do not waste my money on something that i would not like.

Thank you all in advance :)

Edit: Spelling.
Edited by Berchelous on August 30, 2020 9:55PM
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    for PvP? you are wasting money if you cant play It in the current game status.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Do criminal act skills affect the overworld content? "
    Yeah, kind of. You get used to it with time, but if you're like me and constantly pre-buffing fit chance encounters and resetting summons, you'll probably get yourself in trouble every once in a while. I believe there may also be some some specific quests where you think you'd be fine, but aren't. On the other hand this is mostly in relation to populated areas -- it's just as easy to spend a lot of time out and about with your summons up and be just fine.

"Which race would be ideal for lore wise? I think of playing dunmer to switch between mag and stam or imperial because it fits very well in my opinion."
    Honestly, pretty much all races can make for a great synergy/backstory with a class if you put some thought into it. They can all give you very different flavor. Imperial Necromancer definitely feels like a nice classic to me, and would fit well in the game as we see quite a few of them. Dunmer IMO always make for great mages with a taste for the more questionable arts, even if the common theme there tends to be daedra.

"If i buy elsweyr dlc will necromancer class come with it?"
    Nope, that's why they sell it extra. I'm 99.9% sure here. You can check in the crown store to see what buying Elsweyr entails. A different story would be if there was still a way to but it as a chapter/account upgrade with RL money. I've never checked, but I've assumed they get rid of that option when they turn it into DLC.

"How is the class identity? I don't want to use non-class ability much."
    The toolkit has a lot in it that you can use. You probably know that no meta build focuses only on class skills, but it's definitely possible to fill your bars with mostly necro skills and cover a lot of what you need. How that compares to viae PVP builds I cannot say tjiugh. Mostly you'll probably have to look into supplementing priority buffs/debuffs you're missing, as with any class.
    Also if you care about the feel, do keep in mind some of the necro skills have rather cheesy visuals/theming. Personally I loved feeling like a necromancer and got joy out of it/had a decent fulfillment of the 'power fantasy's we seek in gaming, but also really felt it just could have been better. That's all taste, in the end.

"How is necro in trials? Is it wanted by groups?"
    Wanted? Yes. Do people enjoy running it? A lot of people don't. The class has had its issues and bugs since the beginning, and many people seem to find that it feels clunky/awkward in a rotation. I haven't played it seriously enough to comment on that, but I've met few people in my raid environments that are keen on providing that class for a group. I have heard that they recently fixed the Siphon skill to feel a lot smoother and that it is not buggy anymore. I'm also very sure they've put a lot of issues into fixing where Blastbones was buggy. I think those were the main offenders, so perhaps the overall feel is better now? Should mention that all of this is more focused on magcro, though stamcro also uses Blastbones. But since Stam meta has faded I'm honestly way behind on info on that. Hopefully someone else can chip in.

• Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not an awful class but I'd probably pass.

1.) Is rotation the same? Yes, you will be casting Blastbones every few seconds.
    2.) Criminal Acts? If a guard sees you diddle a corpse, you will be going to jail.
    3.) Which Race? There is no right or wrong here. There are obviously better options for specific things, but nothing inherent to Necro.
    4.) How is the class? Bug ridden and poorly designed.
    5.) Elsewyr? I assume so, but let someone else confirm.
    6.) Cyrodiil and BGs? If you like Stam, Necros are strong but are carried by their healing and major defile. Once one is nerfed the class is going to be hit hard. Don't even bother with Mag.
    7.) Min/Max? Is this a question? You can min max any class. Necro isn't an exception.
    8.) Necros use as many non-class mechanics as any other class. For Stam nearly an entire bar is made up of weapon skills which is typical for most classes. Mag uses a fair number of Necro skills but again, probably half your bars are going to be non-class specific things from Psijic and/or Mage Guild.
    9.) Trials? Stam in general doesn't work but Stam Necro is moderately strong from what I've heard. No idea. Mag they do alright because BfB was nerfed and Necro sustain is reasonably good so they don't have problems other classes do. However, they are typically only brought because of their ult as there are higher DPS options (NB).
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shelled out the Crowns and did two Necros a couple weeks back. Maxed and fully built and geared now. Was very pleased with the purchase. I thought it might end up comic-bookie, and it is to an extent, but is also lots of fun. The blastbones are the same mechanic as shalks, but that they hunt down targets makes them better. I have not seen the bugged blastbones complaints bear out IME, they work fine.

The best ult in the game IMO, and have played all classes extensively. They have some pretty solid damage mitigation and the best spot heal in the game for FREE as long as a corpse is down, and there will always be a corpse.

This makes the medium armor stamcro nord one of my favorites of many tank toons, a breeze to pull 10-15k dps while doing all the other tank stuff well because blastbones is cheap, two other key skills are free. AOE fracture/breech is very nice on trash.

I would rebuy and wish I had bought the class a ways back. Have spent 1200-1500 Crowns on non combat pets and other misc junk, LOL, so necro class was a bargain.
  • Inyhel
    Inyhel
    ✭✭✭
    I joined ESO just to roleplay as Necro (now also a vampire).
    But if you're more concerned about build variety I would say Necro is the jack of all trades (and makes an exceptionally good tank). I personally don't use Blastbones, and the vast majority of my skills are magcro based and been able to solo some group dungeons (I'm also not a dummy blasting meta guy).

Bounties are a pain in the ass to start with until you get used to it. Even when you're doing a quest fight your'e not necessarily safe.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "4.) How is the class? Bug ridden and poorly designed."

That sums it up.

I still play it, and it is my primary, but sheesh.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't played as dps but it's more work than other classes to tank or heal. Necro needs 2-3 extra ability slots to do the same job as dk or templar.
    Necro for support role is meh.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to buy a digital code for the new greymoore edition of the game for twenty bucks. Unlike the digital upgrade, this one also came with morrowind and summerset (thus it also included the necro and warden class).

Even if you have standard edition, you can still claim the new greymoore version if the game. The collectors edition greymoore was twenty nine bucks and comes with lots of cool stuff.

Edit: I think it was the best bang for the buck because you get two classes that cost quite a bit in crowns, Greymoor, which is not available via eso +, two extra giant dlc zones that can be used without needing eso +, and permanent access to jewelery crafting.

Only thing more economical would be just buying only necro via gold to crown trade in game, and thus it is essentially free.
    Edited by Pandorii on September 2, 2020 3:05AM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of stam pvp they are not outstanding. I have a necro that i chose to pug tank with and i find it not at all satisfying.