The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is it really worth it to level crafting skills and passives on L50 alts?

LannStone
LannStone
✭✭✭✭
I do writs every day with 12 L50 characters. I don't really need more master writs for yet more vouchers, but more dreugh wax, rosin and tempering alloy are always nice. Gradually I've been building the characters one by one in the craft skills and passives as well. But raising the crafting skills doesn't seem to yield more gold crafting materials. It makes me wonder if it's really worth the skill points leveling up crafting for the rest of the characters. What do you all think?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a great question to ask, @LannStone ... because the answer is different for every single player.

For me, I find myself having enough upgrades to do most master writs. The exceptions are the blue jewelry writs for rare traits and provisioning writs needing perfect roe.

However, I’ve been playing the game for 6+ years.

For you, you’ll have to weigh the extra time put into your lowbie characters to get their crafting up to par ... versus your personal demand for upgrades in (a) master writ consumption, and (b) combat builds. Another option could be (c) housing if you end up playing that side of the game.

A wildcard might be if you have any interest in selling upgrade mats ... should your personal supply exceed your personal demand some day. There’s decent gold in selling upgrade mats.

So, assess what you think your future demand might be for writs and outfitting your characters ... as well as your long-term future with ESO. That should be your answer.

You’re correct, the upgrade mats do take time to accumulate ... so the more hirelings you have and more writ dailies you do the better.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on September 1, 2020 3:50AM
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭

A wildcard might be if you have any interest in selling upgrade mats ... should your personal supply exceed your personal demand some day. There’s decent gold in selling upgrade mats.

Not only a wildcard, that's it exactly :) This is my main interest at this point, getting more gold materials (dreugh wax, rosin, tempering alloy) from the daily crafting writs to sell. To me, I don't seem to get more of them by raising my crafting skills once my character is L50. Am I wrong on that perception?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rates for gold improvement materials are about 3% at level 1, going up to 30% at max level. If your goal is to make as much gold as possible (whether by selling or just earning), you will make the most profit doing writs at maximum level.

The biggest reward (in terms of the value in gold) from daily writs is those gold improvement materials.

There is a link in my signature to a spreadsheet that has information for doing writs at level 1 versus max level, on average, you will make about twice as much per character doing them at max level versus level 1.

Master writs can always be sold (or destroyed) if you don't have the materials to do them.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Drop rates for gold improvement materials are about 3% at level 1, going up to 30% at max level. If your goal is to make as much gold as possible (whether by selling or just earning), you will make the most profit doing writs at maximum level.

TMBrinks, thanks for that confirmation. I guess my general impression that my higher level crafters were not getting many more gold mats than my lower level crafters was not accurate. So I'll continue leveling crafting skills