The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Necromancer Staff Choice question

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
Basically, fire or lightning?

(Ice for tanking, I know, but this is for mostly solo play)

Necro has a lot of AOEs, so the obvious answer is "lightning" because of the 8% aoe bonus, BUT... the aoes are dots (except for blastbones), and while they're ticking away in the background you're either spamming skulls or scythe. And since skulls is cheaper, that means the more sustainable choice is a single target attack with a high-powered ricochet ability every third go. So... would inferno staff be better for the single-target boost? Or would that single target boost be ultimately irrelevant?
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At a glance the shock staff is good, but since light attacks make up a huge portion of your dps, the flame staff is better. Ricochet Skull is a better spammable than the scythe anyways, so that with a flame staff would be better.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shock = Concussion = minor vuln = 8% increased damage tanken
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on the group, you'll already have minor vulnerability from another class that has it baked into one of their skills. Plus, you're not likely to get a high enough uptime on concussion from the shock staff to be worth it.

In reality, I think the only difference is 2-3k, or so I've heard. I have not tested myself, but I've seen it stated on the forums and in build videos.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that in group scenarios, whenever there is a magDK or tankDK present, your fire damage will be increased by up to an additional 10%. This is why everyone and their mother uses Inferno staves over Lightning staves.
    Of course in solo situations it is more evenly matched but if you cannot decide between the two, Inferno definitely has the upperhand in every other situation than solo.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on August 29, 2020 9:53PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

light and heavys do not proc status effects, from any staff.
    At a glance the shock staff is good, but since light attacks make up a huge portion of your dps, the flame staff is better. Ricochet Skull is a better spammable than the scythe anyways, so that with a flame staff would be better.

scythe is not a single target spammable, it is an AOE spammable, they are different kinds of skills.