The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Best stun for stamblade?

Mobius0
Mobius0
✭✭✭
I can't help but notice that stamblade doesn't really get a stun!

I'm wondering how well Hypnosis works. It costs magicka, but I will be using Dark Cloak, so sustain won't be as bad. There's also Mass Histeria.

I am thinking Turn Evil is the only good option though. Plus it has some extra effects. Is this the only stamina stun, or am I missing something?

What do you guys use?
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobius0 wrote: »

I'm wondering how well Hypnosis works. It costs magicka, but I will be using Dark Cloak, so sustain won't be as bad. There's also Mass Histeria.

I am thinking Turn Evil is the only good option though. Plus it has some extra effects. Is this the only stamina stun, or am I missing something?

What do you guys use?

Surprise attack and incap for melee. Magnum shot if ranged
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    I need a stun I can call upon exactly when I need it without delay. Having to flank can make that difficult depending on the circumstance.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a stun I can call upon exactly when I need it without delay. Having to flank can make that difficult depending on the circumstance.

Flanking is very easy at all. There is a very loose definition on what flanking is. Like unless they are staring right at you, you are flanking.
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Well, my hope is to utilize a stun to help increase the likelihood of Selene landing. Between processing that Selene activated, and getting a flank + stun off, seems like I could fail to stun fast enough!

The hidden gem of Turn Evil is the extra 4% weapon damage, too. That's actually what has my eye bent on it at the moment!

But admittedly I am mostly theoricrafting here.

EDIT: Also, if I slot surprise attack, it would only be used for the stun. I could make it my spammable, but then they would get stunned just from my normal damage rotation.
    Edited by Mobius0 on August 25, 2020 4:49PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnosis is useless. You'd think keeping your enemy facing you would be easy, but in reality, the game's poor positioning mechanics make this extremely unreliable. In fact, your enemy is usually not even in the spot where you see him on your screen! Absolute Garbage.
    Fear is very reliable, but expensive and lacking a second effect. Procs your Shadow Barrier passive, though.
    Turn Evil is best on paper for an unavoidable stun, but it has very short range and people claim to have problems with the rune's placing. Seems to be really clunky, potentially messing up your burst.
    I would go with Fear for an unavoidable stun. It is just very reliable. But try to use Surprise Attack often to save a bit magicka.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] ability that knocks back players is best imo if you use bow . Fear is still a nightblade ability that doesn't require too much magica .

[Edited to remove Offensive and Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 25, 2020 6:15PM
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Hypnosis is useless. You'd think keeping your enemy facing you would be easy, but in reality, the game's poor positioning mechanics make this extremely unreliable. In fact, your enemy is usually not even in the spot where you see him on your screen! Absolute Garbage.
    Fear is very reliable, but expensive and lacking a second effect. Procs your Shadow Barrier passive, though.
    Turn Evil is best on paper for an unavoidable stun, but it has very short range and people claim to have problems with the rune's placing. Seems to be really clunky, potentially messing up your burst.
    I would go with Fear for an unavoidable stun. It is just very reliable. But try to use Surprise Attack often to save a bit magicka.

Thanks for the rundown. This is exactly what I wanted to know. 5m does sound pretty low, and I was wondering how it would work out. In the end I think it will come down to my magicka sustain. I do get some extra from Red Diamond, at least. And my passive cancels out the vampire penalty.

As for knockback, I'd be doing them a favor in the case of Selene proc. Also I am DW/2H. Rally is just so good!

• AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incap and surprise attack are all you really need.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you guys use?

First of all, dont be a vampire on a nightblade. I couldnt see a reason for you to anyway since youre not using shadowy disguise for the wd bonus. Mass hysteria > hypnosis in the case of aoe stuns, however i would suggest you just use surprise attack. I think mass hysteria and turn evil cant be blocked so i can see a solid argument for them since you dont have to be behind
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    I love vampire because of the solo PvP I do a lot of. Not having shadowy disguise makes it even more valuable to me, since I can hide twice as fast when I LoS. I also have no run speed penalty, which is nice for a full melee build.

I'd actually love to drop vampire, but it just seems too good for the minor penalties (staying at stage 1.).
  • Crow_IX
    Crow_IX
    ✭✭✭
    zos has really been focused on removing skill gaps in the game. because of this they added an off balance and a stun to surprise attack, which means for nbs who don't utilize stuns and just spam surprise attack, now they get a free stun without initially intending to stun. so i would say surprise attack is the only stun you need and now you can focus on adding more heals or buffs to your bar.
    RIP skill based PvP days. . .
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the thing is I won't slot Surprise Attack otherwise. So it's either surprise attack or one of the fear skills. Seems silly to slot surprise attack JUST for the stun. Yeah, Turn Evil is only 5m range, but so is Surprise Attack.
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you not want to use surprise attack as your spammable? It's one of the better spammables in the game and it procs major resolve. It's your most reliable way to get your armor buff, unless your just cloaking the entire fight.
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Because Rapid Strikes is better for Selene, enchant and axe bleed procs.

Yes, I know that most people think it's a bad skill for PvP. I disagree.

EDIT: Though I am thinking of switching to the Bloodthirst morph. Also after scrutinizing the Selene tool tip, it seems like I'll want to get Kra'gh instead, since I believe Flurry doesn't proc melee sets, oddly enough.
    Edited by Mobius0 on August 26, 2020 4:49PM
  • catnamedwill
    catnamedwill
    ✭✭✭
    What are you using as a spammable? Unless you are going for specific builds in mind, like a Silver Shard build or a sniper, SA is almost always the best spammable.

Edit: Just saw the previous comment. Flurry is a very bad choice of spammable now. It somewhat worked with Bleedblades and DKs using Master DW and Deadly Strikes in the bleed meta days , but now it is legit trash for PvP. If you wonder why, the reason is that Surprise Attack has same damage tooltip as Flurry but as it is instant, you will hit more LAs reliably and Flurry is very easy to counter with a single dodge. You will never get the last big hit in against any decent player. Plus you are fully exposed to damage when using it.
    Edited by catnamedwill on August 26, 2020 7:07PM
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Like I just said - Flurry (One of its morphs.).
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Just saw the previous comment. Flurry is a very bad choice of spammable now. It somewhat worked with Bleedblades and DKs using Master DW and Deadly Strikes in the bleed meta days , but now it is legit trash for PvP. If you wonder why, the reason is that Surprise Attack has same damage tooltip as Flurry but as it is instant, you will hit more LAs reliably and Flurry is very easy to counter with a single dodge. You will never get the last big hit in against any decent player. Plus you are fully exposed to damage when using it.

Yep, have been told this by many already. But I am not running a meta build so it actually fits with what I am trying to accomplish.

And making Surprise Attack my spammable, is not good for being able to stun on command, since I will end up stunning them just from normal use.

Sorry, I do appreciate the feedback, and I realize it's good advice. I was mostly trying to get a feel of how the different stuns work in practice, without having to learn them all and test myself.
  • ThePianist
    ThePianist
    ✭✭✭
    Slot Venom arrow and Precognition back bar. Venom arrow is stun in command if the target is casting/channeling something. It can even stun dizzy spammers if venom arrow hits while they’re dizzy is in animation.

Sometimes you can’t see a Templar use immov pots b4 Jesus beam, or anyone use immov pots b4 Soul assault. So tap Venom arrow once, if you don’t get the “stun, interrupted” message, then immediately roll dodge or tap Precognition.

If you use a cloak+ venom arrow and they get stunned, the stun will be the same length as the “unbreakable fear bug”. Which still persists today, a good 4 second stun.
  • Sedare38
    Sedare38
    ✭✭✭

What do you guys use?

if you use stealth and you want to stun someone, hit them from behind/flank. It's guaranteed stun provided they aren't on a stun cooldown, have immovable, or any other can't be stunned thing on them. Hitting from behind also gives you bonuses to damage and when stealthed guranteed crit dmg.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Flanking is very easy at all. There is a very loose definition on what flanking is. Like unless they are staring right at you, you are flanking.

~~~

Yes.

Shadowy Disguise (guaranteed crit hit) + Surprise Attack (stuns from flanking side or back) + Master Assassin Rank II passive 100% stun duration from Sneak.

Surprise Attack now works OUTSIDE of Sneak, by the way. Does NOT require Sneak to cause stun, just flanking positioning.

HEAVY ATTACK from Sneak also STUNS and CRITS.

With Shadowy Disguise -- yes, even Stamblades can use this skill about four times in a row if needed with a tiny Magicka pool -- makes flanking EASY.
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I love magnum sont, barswap, ambush, rest of combo. When I get master bow though I’ll probably swap magnum for poison arrow.
    XBox One - NA