The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Extreme FPS issues since greymore [solved]

Jeezye
Jeezye
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I need desperate help trying to make my game run again. Its been running smoothly on my surfance book 2 with an i7 and gtx 1050 for one and a half years, even in crouded cyrodiil matches. Since the greymore update however, for some reason my FPS drop down to 10-20 constantly, even in normal areas.

My CPU only uses 10% of its capacity while the gpu is overclocked at 100% usage. Before the patch most of the processing seemed to be performed by the cpu, which resulted in a loud and hot laptop but a smooth gameplay.

Now its been unplayable for over two months. I've already tried to adjust "MaxCoresToUse.4" as well as MinFrameTime.2 in the user settings...

[UPDATE] actually I had to reinstall all Nvidia Drivers and it is now working fine again.
Edited by Jeezye on August 27, 2020 9:33PM
  • LainUnchained
    LainUnchained
    ✭✭
    Hey bud

When u modify the value of the MinFrameTime.2 setting to "0.00000000" what the game does is prevent the client's code (wich includes a call to the Windows API 'Sleep') to ever execute. This fix an issue (a bug, really) with the game process sleeping longer than it should be sleeping, hence making your CPU's cores to work at full speed.

This might or might not be your problem, there's a lot of thing to try before know for sure what's this situation specific problem.

P.S: Remember that MinFrameTime.2 set at '0.00000000' makes your core's to go full speed (no call to Sleep). U must also consider that the maximum number of core's the game uses is limited by the 'MaxCoresToUse.4' (surprising, isnt?) setting.

Lets imagine you set '1' in this setting; if u have a quad-core CPU, with hyperthreading you will have 8 cores (4 physical and 4 virtual) so in the task manager the CPU usage of the 'eso64.exe' process should be using 100(total)/8(nCores) = 12%('1' core only full speed).
    In other words, u will want to set 'MaxCoresToUse.4' to, at least, half your total virtual+physical cores, in your case this should be 4. (Hence, limiting the theorical max CPU's usage of the game process to 12*4=48%)

Hope it helps
    Edited by LainUnchained on August 26, 2020 11:18PM
    Guiamos el desarrollo de la red como se cría al verdadero hijo de Dios. Planeamos su desarrollo como una copia de la estructura neuronal de un santo.
  • AlandroSul
    AlandroSul
    ✭✭
    Hey bud

When u modify the value of the MinFrameTime.2 setting to "0.00000000" what the game does is prevent the client's code (wich includes a call to the Windows API 'Sleep') to ever execute. This fix an issue (a bug, really) with the game process sleeping longer than it should be sleeping, hence making your CPU's cores to work at full speed.

This might or might not be your problem, there's a lot of thing to try before know for sure what's this situation specific problem.

P.S: Remember that MinFrameTime.2 set at '0.00000000' makes your core's to go full speed (no call to Sleep). U must also consider that the maximum number of core's the game uses is limited by the 'MaxCoresToUse.4' (surprising, isnt?) setting.

Lets imagine you set '1' in this setting; if u have a quad-core CPU, with hyperthreading you will have 8 cores (4 physical and 4 virtual) so in the task manager the CPU usage of the 'eso64.exe' process should be using 100(total)/8(nCores) = 12%('1' core only full speed).
    In other words, u will want to set 'MaxCoresToUse.4' to, at least, half your total virtual+physical cores, in your case this should be 4. (Hence, limiting the theorical max CPU's usage of the game process to 12*4=48%)

Hope it helps

Actually it makes your PC go to full speed because there is no frame rate limit then. So it's enough to limit frame rate using nvidia panel.
  • LainUnchained
    LainUnchained
    ✭✭
    Vernilon wrote: »
    Hey bud

Hope it helps

Actually it makes your PC go to full speed because there is no frame rate limit then. So it's enough to limit frame rate using nvidia panel.

Yeah, any app that cap your app frames should work.

Also you can turn on vsync in the game option menu, so the frames are capped to the refresh rate of your monitor.
    Guiamos el desarrollo de la red como se cría al verdadero hijo de Dios. Planeamos su desarrollo como una copia de la estructura neuronal de un santo.