The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sudden and permanent FPS drops

sentientomega
sentientomega
✭✭✭
About an hour or so into the game, I get a sudden, permanent framerate drop to the 30s and 40s (usually in the 70s and above), and it *persists* to the game's menu screens, including character select. Exiting the game and restarting fixes it, but only for about another hour, whereupon the permanent framerate drop returns. Why would this be happening?
Edited by sentientomega on August 24, 2020 9:41PM
  • AlandroSul
    AlandroSul
    ✭✭
    Check this ---> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/529923/severe-fps-drop-after-greymoor-chapter-release-2#latest
    TL;DR
    Go to documents/elder scrolls online/live/usersettings
    Here change the line MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000
    Next, go to nvidia control panel (if you have nvidia card) and set max frame rate to a desired number.

If this doesn't help, then it is yet another technical problem.
    Edited by AlandroSul on August 26, 2020 6:58AM
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could say it worked, I followed this advice:

"In your UserSettings.txt change MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000.
    Be aware that your CPU/GPU will be at full usage.. so maybe you should limit your 'MaxCoresToUse.4' to something like half your CPU's cores (in case u have more than 2, right?)"

I made that recommended change to MinFrameTime.2, and I set max cores to 3 (I have 6), and still it didn't work.

While my FPS plummeted to around 60-odd, the very same kind of abominable stuttering occurred as did at the 30s and 40s, it was literally a carbon copy effect.

And yes, I have that rampaging radioactive dumpster fire that is the Windows 10 2004 update. I wish I never downloaded it, because I'm pretty sure that I'd not be having a problem if I was still on 1909.

Btw, the 24th August was when this issue first occurred for me, this is nothing short of manifest unplayability.
    Edited by sentientomega on August 26, 2020 11:08PM
  • LainUnchained
    LainUnchained
    ✭✭
    Hi!

I dont think the MinFrameTime.2 setting will help you at all with the stuttering thing u are experiencing.
    As u wrote, it happens to you at kinda specific interval time, so that discards the theory (initially, at least) of something constant bothering the executiong.

2 things:
    1- Try to check the process's CPU and GPU usage graph in any decent task manager program (like ProcessHacker), specially during the times when the stutter happends... look in the usage graph for any noticiable spike in mem/cpu/gpu/io. This should at least isolate the problem to one source
    2- Question: Do the stutter also happend in the pre-login screen? If so, does the audio also stutter? Or is just the game render?

See ya
    Guiamos el desarrollo de la red como se cría al verdadero hijo de Dios. Planeamos su desarrollo como una copia de la estructura neuronal de un santo.
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Hi!

I dont think the MinFrameTime.2 setting will help you at all with the stuttering thing u are experiencing.
    As u wrote, it happens to you at kinda specific interval time, so that discards the theory (initially, at least) of something constant bothering the executiong.

2 things:
    1- Try to check the process's CPU and GPU usage graph in any decent task manager program (like ProcessHacker), specially during the times when the stutter happends... look in the usage graph for any noticiable spike in mem/cpu/gpu/io. This should at least isolate the problem to one source
    2- Question: Do the stutter also happend in the pre-login screen? If so, does the audio also stutter? Or is just the game render?

See ya

1. Would the regular Windows Task Manager suffice?

2. Yes, but it first happens when on a character, then it persists to the game menus when logging out of the char. And no, no audio stutter, as near as I can make out. The text rolling across the screen stutters whenever I move the cursor, so just game render, really.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware that your CPU/GPU will be at full usage.. so maybe you should limit your 'MaxCoresToUse.4' to something like half your CPU's cores (in case u have more than 2, right?)"

I made that recommended change to MinFrameTime.2, and I set max cores to 3 (I have 6), and still it didn't work.

While my FPS plummeted to around 60-odd, the very same kind of abominable stuttering occurred as did at the 30s and 40s, it was literally a carbon copy effect.

And yes, I have that rampaging radioactive dumpster fire that is the Windows 10 2004 update. I wish I never downloaded it, because I'm pretty sure that I'd not be having a problem if I was still on 1909.

Btw, the 24th August was when this issue first occurred for me, this is nothing short of manifest unplayability.

I've had stutter with the HDMI audio drivers enabled, onboard sound and Nvidia's. I don't use the HDMI audio output so I just disabled them (not fully uninstalled) in the Device Manager. I also had it when running ProcessLasso, probably due to some setting I've fiddled around with. Hope you solve it!

Also, using this thread's MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000 and caping FPS to 58 (in my case monitor's max is 60) in Nvidia Control Panel has made the game much much smoother. I didn't have any stutter before, but it simply plays fantastic smooth now imo. Thanks @Vernilon and OP!
    Edited by Idinuse on August 27, 2020 7:59AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • AlandroSul
    AlandroSul
    ✭✭
    "Be aware that your CPU/GPU will be at full usage"
    Idinuse wrote: »

I've had stutter with the HDMI audio drivers enabled, onboard sound and Nvidia's. I don't use the HDMI audio output so I just disabled them (not fully uninstalled) in the Device Manager. I also had it when running ProcessLasso, probably due to some setting I've fiddled around with. Hope you solve it!

Also, using this thread's MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000 and caping FPS to 58 (in my case monitor's max is 60) in Nvidia Control Panel has made the game much much smoother. I didn't have any stutter before, but it simply plays fantastic smooth now imo. Thanks @Vernilon and OP!

The problem is that the game should work smoothly without doing that. Devs simply broke something in the game.
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try running the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode. What do you all think of that for an idea?

I mean, if it *is* a problem with the Windows 10 2004 update, it could a temporary answer.

EDIT: Or not, as indeed, it doesn't change a thing.
    Edited by sentientomega on August 27, 2020 8:27PM