The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Consider raising the pathing node limit back to 50

thegreatme
thegreatme
✭✭✭✭
When pathing first hit the PTS, we had a limit of 50 nodes or so to work with. While for bigger 24-person houses this could make completing a loop a bit on the tight side, it was doable with a bit of clever maneuvering of node position around furnishings, turns, and the like.

Take for instance when I was messing around with the Stillwater Retreat house, my first testing ground for NPC pathing. Some NPCs (like my roaming badger) I was barely able to squeeze every node in to their pathing loop properly, but I was able to do it and the results were amazing and really made the place feel alive. My naughty little badger pet was able to move from hiding in his tree burrow, to scavenging and stealing some wild game left hanging around, slink and weave under and around my bridge pathways, go get a drink, and go slinking back into hiding to rest for a while before repeating the process all over again.

Others I was able to set up quite comfortably without having to do much tweaking to their pathing at all or hit the node cap, like my bartender or my patrolling wolf.

https://youtu.be/qeLwspmdTSE?t=200

Now on live, we're limited to 30 node positions, and for a small house or small room, this is... somewhat workable, such as setting up some chickens to roam and peck at the ground, but basically impossible for larger houses with more elaborate paths unless your NPCs are just walking eas,y straight, unobstructed lines which seldom if ever exist in most houses.

Even in my medium/Classic Proudspire house, it took way too long to set up just having a single wolf roam between the upstairs and downstairs doing some idle house patrols, and it doesn't look all that great compared to how it was on the PTS, given Proudspire has lots of twists and turns and odd angles for my NPCs to have to maneuver around that I can't ignore unless I want my wolf popping on top of walls or furnishings.

For much larger 24-person Notable houses I can't even imagine setting up proper pathing loops with nearly half as many nodes available as were on the PTS.

50 was, in my opinion at least, a perfect number to work with, but 30 is just a headache for any spaces that aren't small or totally clear of obstructions.
Edited by thegreatme on August 24, 2020 10:28PM
Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
◙ Gloam Indrik
◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
◙ /honorloop emote
◙ cross-legged sitting emote
◙ Evergloam house
◙ Hagraven Polymorph
◙ Hagraven Houseguest

Consider raising the pathing node limit back to 50 12 votes

I agree, please raise the cap to 50 universally
33% 4 votes
I agree, please at least raise the cap to 50 for Classic and/or Notable houses
50% 6 votes
I disagree, 50 is too many / 30 is just fine
8% 1 vote
Other (please specify)
8% 1 vote
  • Xologamer
    Xologamer
    ✭✭✭✭
    thegreatme wrote: »
    When pathing first hit the PTS, we had a limit of 50 nodes or so to work with. While for bigger 24-person houses this could make completing a loop a bit on the tight side, it was doable with a bit of clever maneuvering of node position around furnishings, turns, and the like.

Take for instance when I was messing around with the Stillwater Retreat house, my first testing ground for NPC pathing. Some NPCs (like my roaming badger) I was barely able to squeeze every node in to their pathing loop properly, but I was able to do it and the results were amazing and really made the place feel alive. My naughty little badger pet was able to move from hiding in his tree burrow, to scavenging and stealing some wild game left hanging around, slink and weave under and around my bridge pathways, go get a drink, and go slinking back into hiding to rest for a while before repeating the process all over again.

Others I was able to set up quite comfortably without having to do much tweaking to their pathing at all or hit the node cap, like my bartender or my patrolling wolf.

https://youtu.be/qeLwspmdTSE?t=200

Now on live, we're limited to 30 node positions, and for a small house or small room, this is... somewhat workable, such as setting up some chickens to roam and peck at the ground, but basically impossible for larger houses with more elaborate paths unless your NPCs are just walking eas,y straight, unobstructed lines which seldom if ever exist in most houses.

Even in my medium/Classic Proudspire house, it took way too long to set up just having a single wolf roam between the upstairs and downstairs doing some idle house patrols, and it doesn't look all that great compared to how it was on the PTS, given Proudspire has lots of twists and turns and odd angles for my NPCs to have to maneuver around that I can't ignore unless I want my wolf popping on top of walls or furnishings.

For much larger 24-person Notable houses I can't even imagine setting up proper pathing loops with nearly half as many nodes available as were on the PTS.

50 was, in my opinion at least, a perfect number to work with, but 30 is just a headache for any spaces that aren't small or totally clear of obstructions.

i would like 50 but im 100% totaly fine with 30
    but more is always better
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us console peasants, do you mean they've added the ability for us to set up a path for our various pets/NPCs to roam around? If so, it sounds fantastic and I'll be looking forward to it! Does it work for every pet and NPC in your house, or are you limited to moving one or two around?
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those of us console peasants, do you mean they've added the ability for us to set up a path for our various pets/NPCs to roam around? If so, it sounds fantastic and I'll be looking forward to it! Does it work for every pet and NPC in your house, or are you limited to moving one or two around?

The only limit to how many you can move around is how many pets/assistants/house guests the house can hold. So if your house can hold 10, you can move around 10, etc.
    Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
    My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
    ◙ Gloam Indrik
    ◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ cross-legged sitting emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest