The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Any Purchase Regrets?

Klueless
Klueless
There are many posts all over about how awesome a lot of the locations are and what you can do with them. I was wondering the other side of that coin..are there any you regret purchasing? Maybe the land didn't pan out like you thought (invisible walls, etc), or too big for decorations, or some other reason that just didn't work like you thought it would? Not looking to make this a bash on certain places thread, but more a place to maybe point out the disappointments you have at certain ones for people to see that don't have them yet.

* adding in edit- this is for crown or gold in game purchases, and can include the furnishing stuff too

For myself, I'm currently really interested in earthtear cavern and the moon sugar meadow as they seem to have a lot of space to play with and minimal established buildings... but they're expensive enough I can't just toss money to the wind and try it.
Edited by Klueless on August 17, 2020 5:00PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tel Galen.

Purchased during the Morrowind craze, and early on in housing, so I thought I'd find a use for the property. It's been years and I still only use it was a "free wayshrine." It's decorated, but I'm always considering tearing it down. There are features I like about the home, but that awful mushroom texture just always drives me away.
    Options
  • Klueless
    Klueless
    Tel Galen.

Purchased during the Morrowind craze, and early on in housing, so I thought I'd find a use for the property. It's been years and I still only use it was a "free wayshrine." It's decorated, but I'm always considering tearing it down. There are features I like about the home, but that awful mushroom texture just always drives me away.

That's actually interesting to hear, this is one I've thought about "what if" it ever came up again for sale. Thanks!
    Options
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klueless wrote: »
    That's actually interesting to hear, this is one I've thought about "what if" it ever came up again for sale. Thanks!

It's a polarizing property, but I absolutely love Tel Galen!

Options
  • swankery
    swankery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wraithhome. I got razzle-dazzeld by the cold harbour water. Turns out Dark and spooky just isn't my jam. I'll think of something to do with it someday...
    https://www.twitch.tv/swankery/ Housing Enthusiast! DDA founder/rep/Twitter@Swankery1@Swankery PC/NA https://www.youtube.com/c/swankery
    Options
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel Galen.

I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to Tel Galen. The mushroom texture may not be the best, but it's gt a pretty decent design to it, and it's one of the homes I've put the most effort into. That and it has a nice interior, and it's one of the few homes that ACTUALLY HAS DOORS! XD
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grand Topal has been a half-and-half for me.

I regret the purchase because the place is just... so... big. I have ideas for it but every time I go to put the idea into motion it all just looks so small compared to the size of the island; as if I'm barely using 1/3rd of the available space. It gets to me.

On the other hand the thing is just gorgeous and I'm sure one day I'll figure out something to do with it. It's been a blessing though as now I thoroughly check every single homes space just to get an idea of how much you'd be limited by the size of the home itself.
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do have quite a few; a mix of all three house categories (Staple, Classic, Notable), but I honestly can't think of any house that I regret purchasing.
    I don't use them all equally, but I wouldn't change any of my purchases.

I purchased each one either for aesthetic reasons, or strategic (as a way for new alts to travel into an otherwise "complicated" area to reach, or proximity to certain locations, etc.).

Although, I do wish certain things were different (more furnishing slots for the biggest homes, ability to set day/night/weather, and far fewer restrictions (invisible walls, death zones) on accessible areas within each "property;"
    Hunter's Glade (my primary residence) is a prime example.).
    Options
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    probably grand topal but that has more to do with me not having ideas for it. I should have waited until I did.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
    Options
  • chuck-18_ESO
    chuck-18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regret buying the Coldharbour Surreal Estate, especially since I used Crowns. I had intended to build a cave there, but the plan didn't quite work out, and I underestimated how dull the monotonous skybox would make the home. I finally moved my custom home to the Meadow, and I'm glad I did. Now Coldharbour is just a glorified storage shed.
    The Exclusionary Mandates of Maruhkite Selection: All Are Equal

1: That the Supreme Spirit Akatosh is of unitary essence, as proven by the monolinearity of Time.
    1: That Shezarr the missing sibling is Singularly Misplaced and therefore Doubly Venerated.
    1: That the protean substrate that informs all denial of (1) is the Aldmeri Taint.
    1: That the Prophet Most Simian demonstrated that monothought begets Proper-Life.
    1: That the purpose of Proper-Life is the Expungement of the Taint.
    1: That the Arc of Time provides the mortal theater for the Sacred Expungement.
    1: That Akatosh is Time is Proper-Life is Taint-Death.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have some regrets for Potentate’s Retreat. I love the terrace, and the fact that the house itself is not too big, and I did see posts here about the moldy walls, but didn’t have a 4K HDR TV so it looked alright when I previewed it.

Once I got a new TV though...ugh. I am still struggling with ways to cover up most of the walls without just placing new ones on top. I don’t want to completely redo the space.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased the same music box I already had thinking it was one that had just left the crown store. Ughh. Now it plays in stereo...
    Edited by faeeichenlaub on August 18, 2020 12:41PM
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
    Options
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a regret, but I was disappointed to find out the invisible ceiling in Hammerdeath is so low.
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regret buying the Coldharbour Surreal Estate, especially since I used Crowns. I had intended to build a cave there, but the plan didn't quite work out, and I underestimated how dull the monotonous skybox would make the home. I finally moved my custom home to the Meadow, and I'm glad I did. Now Coldharbour is just a glorified storage shed.

This made me laugh cause I bought Coldharbour with the explicit idea of it being my storage shed and it hasn't let me down!
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regret buying Thieves Oasis.

The sand blows through player made buildings as if they weren't even there, makes placing items difficult, and you have to wait 15 minutes to get clear screenshots or video. Trying to line things up at night with sand in your eyes is a nightmare.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have Grand Topal Hideaway and for a while I kind of felt regret for buying it. I didn't know what to do to the big beautiful island. Then I placed some big furnishings in it and that changed everything.

The entrance point
    4MNvUIk.jpg
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Options
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought a LOT of houses and honestly the only one I wished I hadn't bought is Hunding's Palatial Hall. I have barely decorated it and don't know if I'll ever complete it. Kinda wish I could just have the crowns returned and let them have the house back.
    Edited by Wildberryjack on August 19, 2020 10:38PM
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
    Options
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gardner House. My primary has always been Ravenhurst, and I thought Gardner would a nice upgrade, but I don't like the yard and the second floor is too gloomy... I moved all the furniture back to Ravenhurst, and Gardner is just an convenient travel point for dropping off master writs.

Daggerfall Overlook. IT RAINS IN THE BASEMENT LEVEL! Ugh... almost 4 million gold to purchase and I can't bring myself to decorate it because IT RAINS IN THE BASEMENT!
    Options
  • Klueless
    Klueless
    I have bought a LOT of houses and honestly the only one I wished I hadn't bought is Hunding's Palatial Hall. I have barely decorated it and don't know if I'll ever complete it. Kinda wish I could just have the crowns returned and let them have the house back.

Regret it because of it's size? Or because of it's specific layout/design etc? Or maybe too similar to others you already have? The really big properties seem to definitely have issues with item limits on decorating per the forums and in game discussions I've seen.
    Options
  • Klueless
    Klueless
    Gardner House. My primary has always been Ravenhurst, and I thought Gardner would a nice upgrade, but I don't like the yard and the second floor is too gloomy... I moved all the furniture back to Ravenhurst, and Gardner is just an convenient travel point for dropping off master writs.

Daggerfall Overlook. IT RAINS IN THE BASEMENT LEVEL! Ugh... almost 4 million gold to purchase and I can't bring myself to decorate it because IT RAINS IN THE BASEMENT!

wow, rain in the basement?! I would be severely disappointed too! That was a big problem for me in fallout 4.... you build settlement structures and the weather ignored it completely.
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OH. The mention of Daggerfall reminded me of a major disappointment I have with it.
    (I haven't noticed the raining in the basement yet, so I was unaware of that.)

The "back door."
    (the trap door in the basement leading to "the shore.")

You can go out the trap door, but you're effectively trapped there in the water on the outside because you can't go anywhere without running afoul of slaughterfish.
    I can understand getting swarmed if you swim too far out into the water from the egress point -- that happens everywhere on the map.

BUT -- you can't swim to shore (or get to the door from the shore) , even if you hug the cliff-line, because they've placed slaughterfish between the door and the shore.

That needs to be fixed. The trap door is utterly useless as is.
    What good is the trap door if you can't actually leave (or, if you've purchased the property, enter) the property by using it?
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    That needs to be fixed. The trap door is utterly useless as is.
    What good is the trap door if you can't actually leave (or, if you've purchased the property, enter) the property by using it?

It’s great for killing your friends!

I have seen people use that area by placing planks/platforms on the water.
    Options
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    I bought many houses, but I'm a bit disappointed in Proudspire Manor in Western Skyrim. It has no garden but does have a patio, however its view is looking into a street where some laundry is hanging … really ….
    Options
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Colossal Aldmeri Grotto. I bought it thinking I'd get a cool ship, but the layout is TERRIBLE. No captain's quarters, no sterncastle, only one level below deck, and no matter how I furnish it, it doesn't make sense. It's somehow simultaneously too big and too small. I literally spent two months building a custom ship in my Psijic Villa because I hated the Grotto so much.
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't regretted any houses but many times with furnishings being too big, too small or too something and not what I had in mind but I usually find something to do with it.
    Options
  • Klueless
    Klueless
    Colossal Aldmeri Grotto. I bought it thinking I'd get a cool ship, but the layout is TERRIBLE. No captain's quarters, no sterncastle, only one level below deck, and no matter how I furnish it, it doesn't make sense. It's somehow simultaneously too big and too small. I literally spent two months building a custom ship in my Psijic Villa because I hated the Grotto so much.

Ahoy! I was SOOOO excited when I read about the grotto (I had a recovering pirate character arc RP thing in my head), and found someone to preview the place with. I was so disappointed.. way too much space and the ship, like you said, just didn't seem to fit what I was hoping it'd be. Perfect world, I want a fully useable ship (crows nest down to the ballast at the bottom, crew/captain quarters.. all of the space) anchored out at sea and you rowboat to a dock mainland as the entrance/exit. I would buy this SO fast. * Hint hint zos... *

Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased the same music box I already had thinking it was one that had just left the crown store. Ughh. Now it plays in stereo...

Ouch. I recently spent 5k crowns on a motif I already knew. Can't send it to my brother cause it's bound, can't give to another toon cause motifs are account wide now (afaik), and can't convert to gems. Oopsie.

When it comes to homes I've completely fallen in love with Amaya Lake Lodge, and now I don't use Hunding's Palatial Hall, Daggerfall Overlook or Serenity Falls Estate. I wish I could sell them lol.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely regret buying Ebonheart Chateau, I thought it looked the best out of the estates and wanted to try my hand at decorating a larger home, but I hate it, it's to dark, to big, the location sucks, the fire pit in the main hall is annoying, it's cloudy and smoky inside. You can't move the fountain, some plants can't be moved, and it's a lag filled nightmare to try to parse in.

It is hands down my least favorite house I own and it was the most expensive which makes me sad... I love my other Dunmer homes and the kinda gothic architecture, but that house is just a waste. I doubt I'll ever finish decorating it and it will forever sit as a reminder to why impulse home buying is a bad idea.
    Options
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finaly bought Forsaken Stronghold for a orcish themed house, while I was regretting for years that there was no orc longhouse still.
    Two weeks later they anounced Forgemaster Falls.

The stronghold still seems ok... but I was a bit salty that I wasn’t able to save the Crowns for the other one.
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I regret buying Thieves Oasis.

The sand blows through player made buildings as if they weren't even there, makes placing items difficult, and you have to wait 15 minutes to get clear screenshots or video. Trying to line things up at night with sand in your eyes is a nightmare.

A player-side toggle to set the daytime and the weather would fix this kind of issue so much!
    Please ZoS!
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on August 25, 2020 6:11PM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
    Options
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I helped a friend decorate his hunding's palatial hall and I'm sad that I can't afford to buy it myself. I am primarily interested in the interior of the house. I wouldn't know what to do with the grounds.
    Options