Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone else interested in melee staves?

Erotes
Erotes
✭✭✭
I love playing the role of a healer and I like the resto staff skill tree but I can't stand the staff basic attack. It is terrible, glitchy, and slow. I find myself bashing a lot to mimic quarter staff fighting rather than using the channelled blast...

A seperate skill tree for quarter staves would be great but maybe simply making some resto staves melee and some ranged might work as well. It would add some much needed variation and it would be a lot more fun.
Edited by Erotes on April 17, 2014 2:38PM
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved staff combat but the only game that I can recall even attempting it was DC Universe Online (which is a horrible game in many ways). I'd prefer having a melee-oriented staff skill totally separate from the ranged "spellcasting" versions, though.

So you could have Restoration Staff, Ice Staff, Lightning Staff, Fire Staff and Combat Staff --- another thing for Woodworking to create!
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah not a bunch of staff wielding games out there. Only one i can think of was the Chanter in Aion. And i think he was short range/melee mix and a support character. Would be cool to see. But i would imagine it will be some time before any new skills are added.

But who knows! Staff wielders of the world unite!
  • Narosian
    Narosian
    ✭✭
    All I can say is I would love to use a halberd
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are tons of people who want pole weapons. Especially Halberds, myself included.

Instead of adding new classes they can really just add new weapons and so create new sub classes. Pole weapons are pretty much a hybrid between a staff and a weapon so I have thought for a while now that it would be interesting to see hybrid weapon skills...half magic half stamina.

For example a halberd would have physical damage skills and healing skills. Or a spear could have physical single target skills and magic aoe skills.
    Edited by Armitas on April 17, 2014 6:25PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    i love to twhack a mob with my staff, it makes a nice thudding sound. it also does pretty good damage for when im out of mana and dont feel like kiting
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Erotes
    Erotes
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah not a bunch of staff wielding games out there. Only one i can think of was the Chanter in Aion. And i think he was short range/melee mix and a support character. Would be cool to see. But i would imagine it will be some time before any new skills are added.

Dungeons and dragons online has some nifty staff combat...but the game over all is lacking. I really hope this game has more weapon skill trees coming out soon.
  • moncef.semmanib16_ESO
    e melee staf would be cool adding like a monk weapon option :) remember me the chanter in another korean mmo. hope they could develop something like this :)
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne
    Soul Shriven
    The classic melee staff class was the Friar in Dark Age of Camelot. We can only hope :)
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like EQ-2 might have had a melee staff weapon, too --- I only dimly remember, but I had an old, old, wrinkled gnome monk there and I think he used a staff in melee.

The moves for staff combat would likely also work for any pole-arm type weapon but perhaps with varying secondary effects like a blunt staff versus a poking staff (spear) versus a slashing staff (naginata) and so on, just like the one hand weapons have mace, axe, sword and dagger variants.
  • Omniphonic
    Omniphonic
    ✭✭
    I don't like how ES has handled 2-handed weapons in recent games. While 2 handed axes and hammers exist, wielding them into battle wasn't exactly common. Weapons like spears and staves saw way more use because they were more tactically efficient. One of my favorite Skyrim mods added a bunch of stave-type weapons, and I was trying to imagine what future classes might look like and I think a monk-type seems highly likely. Rambling ends here.
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭

I loved my chanter in Aion, lol. Yeah, it was more of a melee class with some ranged stuns and rebuffs for control, and single target healing.

A Monk type weapon/class would have been fun, but I think TES has been stepping away from the idea of warrior-monks since morrowind; in favor of scholar-monks like the moth priests. Oh well :(
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a wand/shield combo. For Resto if nothing else.
    Edited by KenjiJU on April 19, 2014 2:05PM
  • Edda
    Edda
    ✭✭
    Spears and polearms, 1 and 2 handed for spears, would be awesome. Also wands and javelins, 1 handed, primary hand only. Plus this would add more weapon types for woodworkers to make. They are kinda short on stuff.

Another thing that would be cool are off hand held things are magical gadgets like voodoo dolls or crystal balls. Possibly crafted with jewel crafting, when that gets added.
    “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.” [Terry Pratchett in Hogfather]
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Randomly, when I am in melee range with a stave, I get a "press x to impale" popup. I am guessing a stunned opponent with 25% or less health is the pulled out of the air requirement (as the next shot kills them).