The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

damage shieldS?

RedBeard_Viking
How do the damage shilds work these days?? i see its also based off max hp is it worth going dmg shild for non sorc at all?? I want to bring back 1st charecter magic nb main but its been so long its changed a lot.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    My Templar has a 60% of max health damage shield (Dampen Magic) which she uses constantly and is extremely useful in either her offensive (front bar) or defensive (healer) back bar.

My Nightblade has a 30% of max health damage shield (Spiked Bone Shield also reflects damage) which is useful in group dungeons since it also creates a synergy, but the Vigor (Assault skill line, stamina heal) makes the damage shield not necessary for other purposes.

So, yes, I believe shields all have a percentage of max health component.

I have no knowledge of how a Magicka Nightblade plays since I only play a Stamina Nightblade and my one Magicka skill (Shadowy Disguise) can be cast about four times straight before I burn up my Magicka, however since my main resource pool is Stamina my Magicka pool is usually full and can give me some "invisibility" time.

I do use Shadowy Disguise constantly since it makes 100% certain that Surprise Attack hits for massive damage. Normal mobs die in one hit. Using Whirling Blade (Dual Wield line) with a group of three normal mobs one dies instantly and the others usually die before they can get off much damage. Whirling Blade is especially useful on land or in delves or public dungeons -- and group dungeons too for that matter.

:D
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise Attack -- by the way -- has recently changed to stun-from-flanking, and that means whether you are in sneak or invisible or NOT.

Surprise Attack with Shadowy Disguise (guaranteed crit hit) is like Biscuits and Gravy! :D
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How do the damage shilds work these days?? i see its also based off max hp is it worth going dmg shild for non sorc at all?? I want to bring back 1st charecter magic nb main but its been so long its changed a lot.
    Are we talking PvP or PvE? In PvP (CP) the health cap doesn't really come into play since they raised it to 60% for Dampen. You'd have to run a full on Necropotence 50K+ mag-stacking build before you start to worry about health and even then you're probably fine without any extra investment. The health cap mainly comes into play in PvE.

Using Dampen (I do not recommend Harness) is a valid option for magblade. Even on a low magicka build - I run one with 33K magicka in CP - having Dampen in addition to a heal makes a noticeable difference to your survivability. On a light armor PvP build I'd choose at least two from the following: Shadowy Disguise, Shadow Image, Dampen Magic.

If you're running a mag-stacking build, you should be able to use Dampen somewhat like a sorc, e.g. cast it proactively to face-tank your opponent for the next few seconds. This is especially true, if you're running with Dark Cloak, which is now just a heal, not actual cloak. The way I use it, on the other hand, is more reactively, e.g. in emergency, for example when I have Magelight on me and can't cloak right now.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB