The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Can't Destruction Staves Have Animations Like This?

• ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Because in ZOS servers, for every 10 persons performing those animations at the same time, lag in zone would increase 10%. :D

By that logic they should remove class ability animations cause I'm pretty sure they'd do more than just having a character do movements when they do it. Hell even personalities would do more than this. I mean it's literally just a few body movements of how they do the action. Compared to everything else I'm quite sure it wouldn't cause much of an issue.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

[snip]

As for the question, I just don't care. I have ZERO interest in animations. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 17, 2020 1:45PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    TheMaos wrote: »

To end on a positive note, here are some in game animations I think are pretty good.

-necro boneyard

Those things doesn't match 🤨.

Edit: To clarify. A lot of people, myself included, strongly dislike the boneyard. Because it looks way too cartoony, cliché, and doesn't make much sense for an Elder Scrolls necromancer.

Isn't that true of the necromancer in general though? It's very pastiche, boo, spooky Halloween, naff, plastic decoration. The npc necromancer abilities already existed and did cool stuff, I don't know why they didn't just use the already existing assets, but add a few more...

Was thinking write that :D. Everything about them is indeed very stereotype Halloween necromancery which makes you say "OooOoo, spooky", rather than an Elder Scrolls necromancer which is more likely to make you gag.
    A lot less greenish blue glow, scythes and boneyards, and more flies, zombies and putrid liquids with some ghosts at the side.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the heavy attack animation for lightning staves, but the heavy attack for fire staves stinks. It would be awesome if fire staves gave you a solid sheet of flame when you heavy attacked. Would look incredible and be much less annoying than what they have now.
  • Playboy_Shrek
    Playboy_Shrek
    ✭✭✭
    because it wouldn't matter as people would just animation cancel it.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I like the heavy attack animation for lightning staves, but the heavy attack for fire staves stinks. It would be awesome if fire staves gave you a solid sheet of flame when you heavy attacked. Would look incredible and be much less annoying than what they have now.

Yep. All heavies should be a channel
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't want to extravagant/theatrical/lengthy animations. I animation cancel already where it's possible (mainly for barswaps) because of a reason. If performance would be worse, we haven't even begun talking about the DPS drop it would mean, if we had to see our characters perform a ballet number every time we used an ability.
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think it would look so good in first person view. Imagine seeing your staff spinning 10 times a second in front of your screen every time you cast a spell.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, that brings back memories. Now I want to reload Dragon Age Inquisition again!

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    How does that mage not get dizzy from spinning so much. Only thing i like about that video is how smooth and lifelike the character animations are.

That is one of the battles that ZOS fights with "animation canceling". ZOS spent a lot of time trying to smooth out the combat animations so they weren't so glitchy.

However, as for this combat, I am reminded of the scene from Indiana Jones where a dual sword wielding attacker is going to attack Indy and he just shoots him. That would pretty much be PVP in this game.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the servers would collapse
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I_am_Groot wrote: »

Animation is all local. If anything collapsed, it would be your PC or console from getting dizzy. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I_am_Groot wrote: »

Animation is all local. If anything collapsed, it would be your PC or console from getting dizzy. :smile:

haha ~ Cheers! B)
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the new skills/classes/animations cannot be handled by the game / server.
    Fancy animations would kill this game
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks pretty cool at first view. But I agree, after seeing those animations over and over 50,000 times, they would probably get annoying and just get in the way.

If I could ask for any animation change it would be that flame and frost heavy attacks function like lightning, with continuous connection throughout the attack.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

To end on a positive note, here are some in game animations I think are pretty good.

-necro boneyard

Those things doesn't match 🤨.

Edit: To clarify. A lot of people, myself included, strongly dislike the boneyard. Because it looks way too cartoony, cliché, and doesn't make much sense for an Elder Scrolls necromancer.

Isn't that true of the necromancer in general though? It's very pastiche, boo, spooky Halloween, naff, plastic decoration. The npc necromancer abilities already existed and did cool stuff, I don't know why they didn't just use the already existing assets, but add a few more...

Was thinking write that :D. Everything about them is indeed very stereotype Halloween necromancery which makes you say "OooOoo, spooky", rather than an Elder Scrolls necromancer which is more likely to make you gag.
    A lot less greenish blue glow, scythes and boneyards, and more flies, zombies and putrid liquids with some ghosts at the side.

Absolutely agree. Honestly the only thing missing is a skill that drops rubber spiders on strings from the ceiling.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take a look, here is an example of dragon age's animations for mage

I mean, the animation quality is good, but... Why would you move like this? Actually movements in fights should be minimum effort (just enough to make it work the way it should) so you don't get tired too soon?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, seriously ESO's animations look so cartoony and make your character look like a doof, you character can't even swing a 2 handed sword without almost throwing their back out and letting go with one hand at the end...

I was surprised to learn while fighting the northern coast giant with the freezing waves that most swings we do we aren't even holding our swords. They just follow our hand motions about a foot away. Like we just let go and they follow through the motion till we take hold of them again. If that pesky giant wasn't there I'd waste a nice amount of time looking at the different poses you can do.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Because in ZOS servers, for every 10 persons performing those animations at the same time, lag in zone would increase 10%. :D

All the new skills/classes/animations cannot be handled by the game / server.
    Fancy animations would kill this game

Animations are all client side. If the game doesn't seem able to handle them, it's your PC that will be the problem.
    Edited by mairwen85 on August 18, 2020 3:08PM
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess it is time to reinstall DAI. Thanks.