The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Critical damage in pve

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
In cyradill and BGrounds you can easily get critical damage from enemy players , however how does that work in pve ?

Can mobs or bosses deal out critical damage ?

I am asking because then i know if i have to invest CP into defending myself for crit damage in pve

Best Answers

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players are the only ones who can deal critical damage. So, no, mobs/bosses do not deal critical damage. The impenetrable armor trait and CP to mitigate crits only helps in PvP.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You would not spec CP into shattering blows for pve. It would be just as useless as crit resist.
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I held off because I'm not sure. I don't think many (if any) pve enemies use damage shields, though I'm not sure how some of their mechanics work. I may be wrong but I view shattering blows as a pvp CP and, as a pve'er, don't put points there.

PvE foes rely mostly on armor/resistance and penetration is good for cutting through that. I think you're safe thinking that in general pve foes have about 9k resists with bosses having about 18k. So how much pen you want depends on who you mostly fight and what buffs you expect to routinely receive from a group (if any).
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 14, 2020 11:10AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are enemies with damage shields but they are too few and far between that it's not worth investing in to.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Answer ✓
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    And are there a lot of enemies in pve that have damage shields ?

Should i invest in shattering blows if i only do pve ? (Shattering blows increases my damage to enemies with a damage shield)
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    @AcadianPaladin
    Could you answer the 2nd question as well ?

Or someone else

Thank you !