The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

how hot is the alik'r

jamesterj14
jamesterj14
✭✭✭
Silly question but is it ever stated in game or in cannon literature what the average temperature of the alik'r desert is?
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually thinking about units of measurements in TES lore recently, and I don't recall any ever being mentioned. I think there's sometimes colorful comparisons used for length for example, but those seem more like colloquial, regional turns of phrase.

I will say Alik'r seems fairly windy in the open plains sections, so that's nice. Don't go barefoot.
  • jamesterj14
    jamesterj14
    ✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    I was actually thinking about units of measurements in TES lore recently, and I don't recall any ever being mentioned. I think there's sometimes colorful comparisons used for length for example, but those seem more like colloquial, regional turns of phrase.

I will say Alik'r seems fairly windy in the open plains sections, so that's nice. Don't go barefoot.

would never go barefoot, that sand can be rough and irritating, and it would get everywhere :smiley: .

You have a point with the measurements though, not even sure what we'd measure temperature with in tamriel.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Climate of Hammerfell - "Not that there was much reference to it historically. It was desolation, a wasteland where hot winds blew over burning rock, and the only feet that walked the sands belonged to monsters.";
    Climate of Alik'r (arguable source) - "First, it's important to cover yourself fully to avoid painful burning from the sun. Even the back of the neck and top of the head must be covered. I strongly recommend that you purchase one of the typical leather armors worn by Redguards. The cloth components breathe surprisingly well, and the leather plates offer excellent lightweight protection. Consider a covering for the mouth, as sandstorms are common, and breathing in grit is rather unpleasant".

Some links on the measurements:
    Pertans and angaids - "Orcs are thankfully easy to recognize from other humanoids by their size -- commonly forty pertans in height and fifteen thousand angaids in weight -- their brutal pig-like features, and their stench";
    Meters - "Burlap targets were arranged around in a semi-circle, several meters apart, like sentinels";
    Grams - "It is said the number is the number of birds that can nest in an ancient tibrol tree, less three grams of honest work, but Vivec in his later years found a better one and so gave this secret to his people";
    Acres - "A vast arbor of golden apples stretched acre after acre near the castle walls";
    Quart - "While I was walking in the woods, some of them broke into my laboratory and spilled the solution I was preparing -- nearly a full quart of purified imp gall wasted!";
    Ounces - "2 1/2 Ounces Cow's Cheese, 1 Ounce Butter, 1 Ounce Flour, 9 Ounces Milk", "2 1/2 Ounces Butter";
    Minutes - "Keep sealed for 25 minutes, or your scrumptious suns will rise, only to fall down flat into the oven's abyss";
    Inches - "Inch by inch, until the snarling draugrs around me seemed to tire of fending off my timid presence";
    Drams - "It took Thaurbad the rest of the day and fifteen drams of the stoutest mead to recover.";
    Measure (temperature) - "But if the kagouti is standing in a pool, and a wizard slowly raises the temperature, measure by measure, to boiling, the kagouti will calmly stand in place until he is boiled.";
    Dzum - ""Hold on a dzum," the engineer said, raising a hand while he looked more closely at the gleaming device.";
    Yards - "12 yards of flesh (before cutting)";
    Yards - "I don't like to brag, but I once took down a bear at three hundred yards. In a blizzard.";
    Miles - "On a clear day (an exceedingly rare event), the peak can be seen from Almalexia, 250 miles to the south";
    Walks-Many-Leagues, Leagues - "This place's forbidding black towers are visible for leagues, even through Rivenspire's drifting mists";
    Pounds and gallons - "16 pounds pure appleblossom honey, 5 gallons spring water".
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Climate of Hammerfell - "Not that there was much reference to it historically. It was desolation, a wasteland where hot winds blew over burning rock, and the only feet that walked the sands belonged to monsters.";
    Climate of Alik'r (arguable source) - "First, it's important to cover yourself fully to avoid painful burning from the sun. Even the back of the neck and top of the head must be covered. I strongly recommend that you purchase one of the typical leather armors worn by Redguards. The cloth components breathe surprisingly well, and the leather plates offer excellent lightweight protection. Consider a covering for the mouth, as sandstorms are common, and breathing in grit is rather unpleasant".

Some links on the measurements:
    Pertans and angaids - "Orcs are thankfully easy to recognize from other humanoids by their size -- commonly forty pertans in height and fifteen thousand angaids in weight -- their brutal pig-like features, and their stench";
    Meters - "Burlap targets were arranged around in a semi-circle, several meters apart, like sentinels";
    Grams - "It is said the number is the number of birds that can nest in an ancient tibrol tree, less three grams of honest work, but Vivec in his later years found a better one and so gave this secret to his people";
    Acres - "A vast arbor of golden apples stretched acre after acre near the castle walls";
    Quart - "While I was walking in the woods, some of them broke into my laboratory and spilled the solution I was preparing -- nearly a full quart of purified imp gall wasted!";
    Ounces - "2 1/2 Ounces Cow's Cheese, 1 Ounce Butter, 1 Ounce Flour, 9 Ounces Milk", "2 1/2 Ounces Butter";
    Minutes - "Keep sealed for 25 minutes, or your scrumptious suns will rise, only to fall down flat into the oven's abyss";
    Inches - "Inch by inch, until the snarling draugrs around me seemed to tire of fending off my timid presence";
    Drams - "It took Thaurbad the rest of the day and fifteen drams of the stoutest mead to recover.";
    Measure (temperature) - "But if the kagouti is standing in a pool, and a wizard slowly raises the temperature, measure by measure, to boiling, the kagouti will calmly stand in place until he is boiled.";
    Dzum - ""Hold on a dzum," the engineer said, raising a hand while he looked more closely at the gleaming device.";
    Yards - "12 yards of flesh (before cutting)";
    Yards - "I don't like to brag, but I once took down a bear at three hundred yards. In a blizzard.";
    Miles - "On a clear day (an exceedingly rare event), the peak can be seen from Almalexia, 250 miles to the south";
    Walks-Many-Leagues, Leagues - "This place's forbidding black towers are visible for leagues, even through Rivenspire's drifting mists";
    Pounds and gallons - "16 pounds pure appleblossom honey, 5 gallons spring water".

Don't forget the most important unit - the unit of time during a Dragonbreak - the "how many stars have fallen since" as it was the only constant all observers could agree upon.

Then there is also "turns" or "clicks" of "the great gear" used in Clockwork City. :D
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.