The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

PVE level of difficulty + battlegrounds

Lvcifyre93
Lvcifyre93
Soul Shriven
Heya,

I'm a leveling 31 magsorc on EU / PC and I'm really enjoying the game so far - even though the sheer amount of content is overwhelming! I've been focusing on dungeons, questing, crafting and dailies and to be honest I'm not really being challenged. The open world content seems to be really easy. Any suggestions where I can find some PVE challenging content on lower level just to test my build and learn my skills and so on?

What worries me though, the facts above made me think that I was good at this game, until I entered Battlegrounds (lol). I can't stay alive at all! I'm playing BF below level 50 so I assume I'm playing with other new players, but I really suck... :( I do have to say, I've read that I shouldn't focus on equipment, sets, weapons etc too much before endgame (which makes sense, as leveling is going really fast!) so I haven't been doing that.

Did you guys have a similar experience when starting out?

Thanks a million!

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heck, I'm maxed on CP and still struggle in Battlegrounds.

Fighting other players is just a lot harder than fighting AI's
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO intends its overland PVE content -- every single bit of it, with the exception of DLC world bosses -- as beginner content. You've already experienced most of the challenge it has to offer. If you want to find PVE content that pushes you a little more, try to solo a public dungeon or a world boss. Other than that, get ready for hundreds of hours of pushover mobs. I wish it were different, but that seems to be what the majority of questers want.

The difficulty jump from non-endgame PVE to PVP is massive. Sorry it surprised you. ZOS seems to recognize that this is a problem, but they're stuck between (a) not wanting to alienate new players by making PVE harder and (b) not wanting to alienate PVP players by dumbing down PVP mechanics.

My first experience in PVP was pretty awful. I was in a castle, saw a pack of yellow guys heading toward our flag, and my first instinct was tank them the way I tanked mobs in Spindleclutch. It didn't work out that way. Just enjoy the PVE for now and keep working on learning the game's ins and outs, and eventually you'll be in a place where you can jump in and start learning PVP!
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP is just a whole other ballgame, one that pve can't really prepare you for. So don't feel bad, we all struggled there at first, but keep at it and you will get better.

Don't be fooled by the under 50 restriction, people go there to level alts all the time. They don't have their CP but a lot of them are experienced and may even have a crafted gear setup. I myself am leveling a Stamcro lately and take her into BGs at least once a day when I have time.

You're right it's not worth going out of your way to farm gear while leveling, but keeping an eye out for the sets that drop in whatever zone you're questing through is worthwhile, especially if you plan to keep trying out PvP. You should get enough of it through quest rewards and random drops to put together the 5 piece of your build appropriate set, light for mag medium for Stam. If you can manage to combine that with whatever heavy set drops you'll be solid and feel a noticeable difference in PvP.

You could also go with crafted gear since you said you've been crafting. If you've been keeping up on researching traits you should be able to make at least the 2 trait sets by now. Any combination of Ashen Grip, Death's Wind, and Night's Silence would be better for a Stam character than a mix n match of gear. For mag there's less 2 trait options but Innate Axiom with Death's Wind would work fine.

You can see those and all the craftable sets here:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets

Just click on one and it'll tell you where to find the station it's crafted at.

For PvE challenges, world bosses and public dungeons are soloable at your level and offer more challenge than questing. If you're in a DLC or Chapter zone the world bosses my be too much, but the base game zones all have at least one or two you should be able to handle.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    ALT characters start with ALL the Champion Points of the Main (or highest CP character). Not all those "newbie" characters you see are newbies at all.

In PvE, do public dungeons and group dungeons for challenge and rewards.

For PvP, I personally love Death Match Battlegrounds where Champion Points are OFF -- this levels the playing field, however, be aware that even those players will be fully decked out with the best armor, weapons and skills they can have as well as the best potions (learn Alchemy ASAP and make the best potions).

If you do Cyrodiil, you should avoid CP-enabled until you have 810 CP since, heh, almost all other players will have that.

In general, as a new player, just assume that low-level character you see is being played by someone with perhaps a year or two or more of experience, and THIS game has a steep learning curve.

Also -- check the map and go to the "starter" zones (usually just a few zone quests) which will give you a "feel" for the game in a small package. Do Bal Foyen, Stros M'Kai, Betnikh, etc. If you do not have wayshrines to reach those places, then check the caravan and boat routes -- a nice way to travel around in the beginning.

And don't forget to get your ONE FREE Inn Room -- there's an NPC (free quest starter in the ESO Store) that will give you one room free which is a nice way to start. :D
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"