The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Banker/Merchant sale

Teridax941
Teridax941
✭✭✭
I've had my eye on the Alfiq banker/merchant for awhile, and for the next 3 days all bankers/merchants are on sale for 10% off. Speaking as someone who doesn't have a lot of crowns to spare, and sometimes resorts to buying crowns with gold, is 10% off a good deal? Have there been better deals before that might be worth waiting for as well?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teridax941 wrote: »
    I've had my eye on the Alfiq banker/merchant for awhile, and for the next 3 days all bankers/merchants are on sale for 10% off. Speaking as someone who doesn't have a lot of crowns to spare, and sometimes resorts to buying crowns with gold, is 10% off a good deal? Have there been better deals before that might be worth waiting for as well?

10% off seems like a ridiculous rebate for such highly priced items. Most items, when on sale, get at least a 15% rebate.

That being said, bankers and merchants, especially the new "cat" ones, have always been in high demand, and don't really need a promotional sale to sell well.
    So if you really want one, don't wait for a better deal, because you probably won't get any.
    Just my personal evaluation of the situation : it's not really a good deal, but don't expect a better one.

Also, if you pay in gold and not crowns, the exchange rate is pretty good right now for crown buyers, so if I were you I'd go ahead.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 10, 2020 2:34PM
  • Guthix_of_the_Green
    I literally bought them 4 hours before the sale.. I lost 1k crowns for not waiting 4 hours. Ridiculous!
    " The trees, the earth, the sky, the waters; All play their part upon this land. May Guthix bring you balance. "
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally bought them 4 hours before the sale.. I lost 1k crowns for not waiting 4 hours. Ridiculous!

These things happen.
    Don't be angry at yourself : you couldn't have known.

I bought the Murkmire DLC a couple of hours before it became known that it would be given away for free as a logon reward the next month... (and I was subscribed to ESO+). These things just happen. Unlucky once, lucky ten times :-)

• CelestialSlayer
    CelestialSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    i was just thinking this myself - has there never been a deeper discount then? 10% seems stingy to me.
  • Teridax941
    Teridax941
    ✭✭✭
    i was just thinking this myself - has there never been a deeper discount then? 10% seems stingy to me.

Doing a very brief forum search, it appears they were 15% off February 2019, so it's been awhile, and this isn't the biggest discount that they've had.

So... either swallow the slightly smaller price now... or wait another year and a half for the slight possibility of a better sale.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes you will find Crowns on sale for a bigger discount.

If you can only afford one, get the Banker, they are the most useful of the two. Because there are Merchants all over the game world.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Skorro
    Skorro
    ✭✭✭✭

Shoot a ticket to support, they usually super chill and give you back the extra crowns you paid if it was a day or 2 before the item went on sale
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Sometimes you will find Crowns on sale for a bigger discount.

If you can only afford one, get the Banker, they are the most useful of the two. Because there are Merchants all over the game world.

Well, I personally agree with your strategy : I got the banker only. For the very reason you've stated : there are enough merchants all over the world.
    But that's because I mainly play overland / questing / farming.
    I have plenty of friends who made the opposite choice : merchant only. Because there are no merchants in dungeons / raids, because a banker is only useful IF you have available bank space, and various other reasons related to their playstyle and inventory management style. To them, the merchant is the only way to actually get rid of things (without destroying them).

Bottom line is, you cannot say that the banker is the universally better choice. Even though it is also my choice.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 10, 2020 10:03PM
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    10% off is a complete joke. Not interested.

I guess its supposed to compound with the crown sale, maybe they're under their assistant quota this season.

Different options would be nice. Or maybe being able to use the outfit system on the human ones too. For that price its a reasonable request.. you can get a full priced chapter and dlc for that much.

Edit: The Banker is the best choice no doubt.. if you do crafting dailies. Youll never run out of space if you visit a station every day. With a bit of thinking you can provide an alternative to the main eso plus benefit with the banking assistant so theres that too.
    Edited by winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO on August 11, 2020 12:08AM
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I once bought a game for 30 bucks, and then it went on sale less than a week later; 10 bucks. 😥 Sorry, friend.
    Edited by kadochka on August 11, 2020 12:19AM
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO

I think it depends on what you tend to do more in game. I have used Fezez the merchant far more than Ezabi the banker because I like to sell while out on the go when my backpack gets full.
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    @winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO

I think it depends on what you tend to do more in game. I have used Fezez the merchant far more than Ezabi the banker because I like to sell while out on the go when my backpack gets full.

Yeah fair enough. I can imagine not everyone goes back to town at the start / end of a play session so that seems very reasonable.

I have the banker and have been seriously thinking about getting the merchant too, especially the human one you could rp that as a companion like in other games. But given the expense and since spending gold only on pack upgrades i haven't come close to doing so. Would be a waste because the cost is so large as nice as it would be. Still open to getting one but i think they would have to make it special for me to do it. Yeah i use ezabi very regularly.

Maybe if they somehow gave us the ability to pitch a tent somewhere getting a vendor assistant would mean you could avoid going back to town sometimes..
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got them for gold a while ago, during the last crown sale when the rate was lower and they're pretty neat. Totally unnecessary but I use them during wrtis so I don't have to mud through the forest of flapping wings and bear arses to get to the banker's window in Vivec City. They're also handy on longer questing or dungeon runs when your inventory space inevitably runs out. Seeing that there's currently a sale on crowns and that bankers rarely go on discount I doubt you'll get a better deal any time soon, both when buying for crowns and for gold. To be fair, if my memory serves me right I think there was a bigger discount on humanoid merchants back in 2018 during the Black Ferdas sale.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the game borderline unplayable without the merchant. I hate constantly having to go back to town to free up inventory space, or having to destroy stuff to make room in the middle of a dungeon.

The banker is nice, but it has a much smaller impact on my daily experience playing ESO.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are datamined new models for merchant and banker so check them out before you buy old ones - there is sale now for no reason - probably they try to sell old models before release of new ones.

You can see them here: https://cidhnamine.com/2020/07/14/datamine-6-1-0-pts-stonethorn-dlc/

"The last two Assistants aren’t new, but have been datamined as far back as 2.6.0. However, they have recently received new Icons – an indication that they might be released soon. "

Eh, there should be big discount for players who already own any version of merchant/banker. I can pay 5k crowns for new and important functionality, but not another 5k just for new skin!
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teridax941 wrote: »
    ... Speaking as someone who doesn't have a lot of crowns to spare, and sometimes resorts to buying crowns with gold, is 10% off a good deal?

No, because the gold to crown ratio fluctuates quite a bit more than that on a monthly basis. Watch the exchange rate on World Crown Exchange and you can likely get a good bit more than 10% off given the current exchange rate. That said, the 10% is guaranteed, and who knows where the crown to gold exchange rate will go.

• noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can get it and afford it, I'd get it while its on sale. I got it when it wasn't on sale with the use of in game gold and I don't regret it
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The current discount is less than the last Black Fredas sale, where they were 20% off, so 4k each. But, there was even a deeper discount the year before, where I picked up the merchant for 3.5k.