Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First DPS class

OrionPriest
I need some help. It's time for me to try my hand at a first real DPS character. I have a Warden Tank, a Templar Healer, as well as a crafting DK (I didn't really like the DK playstyle at the time so all skill points went to full crafting).

I'm looking to build a true Magicka DPS. Between MagCro, MagSorc (I don't want pets), and MagBlade which would you suggest that has strong DPS with a diverse skill line up, fun to play, and able to solo things between running dungeons?
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblade all the way. Magcros are cool but you have to use the pet and some abilities are clunky. It's an L to have a magsorc without a pet for a serious DPS.

Magblades have a solid kit, the best execute ability in the game (IMO), and great self survivability options while still doing high damage.
  • OrionPriest
    IonicKai wrote: »
    Magcros are cool but you have to use the pet and some abilities are clunky.

Mag Necros don't have a permanently summoned pet do they? I'm not opposed to a summoned pet that is a skill visual (like blastbones) I just have had enough of permanent pets with my bear while I'm soloing with my Warden.

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No perma pets on necro, sorc can do without them too, but he is losing like 8% strength, magblade is very friendly dps.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭

Mag Necros don't have a permanently summoned pet do they? I'm not opposed to a summoned pet that is a skill visual (like blastbones) I just have had enough of permanent pets with my bear while I'm soloing with my Warden.

No they are not permanent. They are also inconvenient in towns though because if you accidentally summon them you get a bounty. It was supposed to be for RP but truly is just annoying. As I said though the bigger issue with the necro is the class is a bit clunky in content. Lots of issues with blast bones going off and syphon connecting. Looking past that I do like the class. Magblade has a better kit for self survivability though and has higher max DPS potential.
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    From the classes you've listed I'd go with magblade (I have all mag dps classes and magblade is my main). Only downside is, you have to be at least average with LA weaving.

Magcro is the most wanted mag dps in groups just because of colossus, but class itself feels like clunky magden (magden is actually quite fun to play)

And with magsorc you can play without pets for most of the content, but it really makes a difference in vet trials and HMs. And to me non-pet sorc is quite fun to play aswell with fragment-proc mechanic
    Edited by Saubon on August 12, 2020 7:44AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Magcros will likely have near 100% uptime on one or several temporary pets.

Actually, the same is true of magblades, but it's definitely only one pet in that case.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as true DPS goes, you really can't go wrong with either Magblade or Magsorc. As others have said, both are extremely fun and have some great skills for survivability.

And as far as no-pet sorc goes, Alcast's Magsorc dps build does have a no-pet setup option.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my only issue with Magblade is lack of visuals...no fire, no lightning.....but damn it hits hard and wont die..... ;)
  • OrionPriest
    Well I tried both and Magblade sure plays easier for me. Any recommendations on how to build a rotation? I've only really tanked and healed so this concept of a rotation is still foreign to me since tanking is more about maintaining control then executing a rotation.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    For simplicity I recommend looking up a rotation and gear to run though the general consensus for a long time has been PFG 5 pc, mother's sorrow front bar complete, zaans/maw of the infernal for the monster set and maelstrom inferno back bar.

Some recommendations for rotos to look up from my experience Liko, SkinnyCheeks, and Sparrow are usually who I check for figuring out a roto and blue CP. I recommend starting with a static roto as dynamic rotos have a very significant skill ceiling.
  • Sunderling
    Magblade all the way. Magcros are cool but you have to use the pet and some abilities are clunky. It's an L to have a magsorc without a pet for a serious DPS.

Magblades have a solid kit, the best execute ability in the game (IMO), and great self survivability options while still doing high damage.

Hi friend. I am temporarily hi-hacking this thread.

I just finished getting my first character, an Argonian StamDK to 190. He's got a crafted DPS set on but I'm switching him over to tank. So, I have started leveling a stamblade. Does stamblade hold a candle to magblade? I hear people praise stamblade but everyone seems to be saying magblade is way more fun...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunderling wrote: »

I just finished getting my first character, an Argonian StamDK to 190. He's got a crafted DPS set on but I'm switching him over to tank. So, I have started leveling a stamblade. Does stamblade hold a candle to magblade? I hear people praise stamblade but everyone seems to be saying magblade is way more fun...
    @Sunderling
    Personal opinions will always be personal, I only enjoy magicka... But others might enjoy stamina more. If you chose Khajit or dunmer you could always swap between the two specs without changing race.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Sunderling wrote: »

@Sunderling
    Personal opinions will always be personal, I only enjoy magicka... But others might enjoy stamina more. If you chose Khajit or dunmer you could always swap between the two specs without changing race.

Khajiit does sound nice for stamblade. It’s racial passives fit with the assassin play style with increased crit and lower detection. It’s other passive includes a tri stat buff and any extra health on Nightblades is always a good thing. Final Khajiit passive is the bonus XP to medium armor line where you will unlock even better sneaking and more crit. Plus more stam, stam recovery and weapon damage.

Khajiit Stamblade with 7pc medium armor can basically just walk past mobs without ever engaging. It comical actually. Can play around with sets like draloc bre from Elsweyr and just sneak all day and if you do end up in trouble just go invisible and crouch somewhere to get all your rss back quickly. It’s not an endgame set though but it’s a fun set for survivability while leveling.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask yourself this, how good are you at pushing buttons.

If you are good, I would advise mageblade. They are great all around. The might not break any trial dummy records these days, but a good mageblade will always have a home in a raid, and never struggle in any 4 man or solo content. The problem with mageblade is they are dependent on a near flawless weave and will require a very dynamic rotation* to make them shine.

*No real secret here. Keep up merciless, every 5th skill is a bow proc (every 6th skill will get the job done). Otherwise, you keep up as many dots on cooldown as you can, what is left is a spammable. At execute, you will drop most of your dots and merciless (keep up blockade, trap, and maybe a few others), and just spam impale. The other trick to mageblade is that they have the hardest ultimate to manage in the game. It is low cost so you need to be on top of it, but since it's a damage booster, you need to try and make sure your next 4-5 casts will mostly be your spammable to really maximize it. Mageblade will have the biggest gap between a perfect and middle of the road rotation from button pressing standpoint..

Sorcs are always my first recommendation to anyone wanted to dip their toes into playing a DPS, but if pets are a dealbreaker, sorc is a bad call.

You seemed to rule out DK (one of my favs, but hard to know where they will land next patch).

I wouldn't totally write off magplar. They have been one of the best bangs for the buck so to speak (high damage with easy rotation) for a while now. You can usually get away with a fairly static rotation. You also have playstyle options depending on your spammable. They are also very easy for solo and places like VMA, even if they arent the fastest.

Mag Warden has been in the spotlight recently, but I honestly dont have a ton of experience with them. Took 2-3 tries for my flawless title (easier than most), but i dont like the playstyle as much personally. The rotation revolves around a short duration skill (Deep Fissure) (similiar to necro and blastboones), so even though the rotation can be played fairly statically, it takes some getting used to. 123,123,123, etc.

There are also plenty of decent stamina options, but I think you are better off learning to DPS as a magic tune. A little range and a shield go a long way to help learn what can and cannot kill you as a glass cannon.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 17, 2020 7:53PM