The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Log out and switching character crashes the game [XBOX]

alcoraptor
alcoraptor
✭✭✭
A good 50% of the time when I log out to the character selection screen, the game hangs on an eternal loading screen.
Leaving it for 2-3 minutes sometimes causes an "Error 308 - Disconnected due to inactivity", but trying to reconnect then locks up the game entirely.

After restarting the game, I'm then presented with "Error 304 - This account is already logged in" for a few minutes before I can even get back to the character selection screen
On average, it now takes about 5-6 minutes to change character
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 10, 2020 6:30PM
Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was having this problem intermittently throughout the week. It comes and goes during prime time and non prime hours. I’ve also had a problem with the sound borking out lately also. 2 minutes in zone and sound gone. Change zone and same thing 1-2 min of sound then it goes out.

Hard reset of XB1 sometimes works, sometimes not. For now when I get the character load issue rather than waiting for the timeout I have learned to recognize the eternal loading screen and just load up another game from my dashboard and then load ESO back in and go through the main loading screens again. That cuts my time down to 3-4 minutes of loading screen/switching to change toons which is also unacceptable but better than the glorious timeouts.

ESO really needs a faster way to switch toons. Especially if you store them all in the same hub city. It’s like when you wayshrine within a zone the loading times are much shorter than wayshrining out of zone. I would like something like that for switching toons.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PS4, I have two times recently where the game crashes (blue screen) after logging out one character and logging into another character. I click the button to send a report to Sony and then restart the PS4. Yesterday it was annoying because it happened when the guild was forming up a team for an activity, and I needed to switch characters to join the team.

Anyway, on PS4, I am not seeing the 5 to 6 minute crash delay when switching characters, probably more like 3 minutes for blue screen crash, send message to Sony, restart PS4. According to PS4 error history, this happened on 7/25 and 8/7, so it isn't happening often on PS4, at least for me.
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely worse during prime time; during peak hours it happens almost every time I switch.
    At odd hours it happens considerably less, but it does still happen.
    I've not found much in it between letting it time out and killing the game; if I kill it quickly I often end up with the 304 error for a while - but I'll definitely give the game switching a go
    Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, you buying xbox series x or PS5 ? You will be able to upgrade free...u kno? Why put resources into that now when u gonna upgrade anyways...
  • DustyWarehouse
    DustyWarehouse
    ✭✭✭
    LuxLunae wrote: »
    Look, you buying xbox series x or PS5 ? You will be able to upgrade free...u kno? Why put resources into that now when u gonna upgrade anyways...

You will be able to upgrade free... yeah at the low price of a new series x or ps5. Great attitude. Not everyone will be able to jump right in and buy the new consoles, and the current consoles are supposed to be supported by ZOS so they have an obligation to fix this.

And who's to say throwing a more powerful console at the problem will fix it? Maybe its a bug unrelated to the dogshite client performance on console.
  • Maiyu93
    Maiyu93
    ✭✭✭
    Happening to me too, i log out of one charatcer then theres a 50/50 chance the load screen never ends and i have to crash my game before i can select another character
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    LuxLunae wrote: »

I'm not sure I follow your point? The new consoles are months away, and who's to say this won't be an issue on them too?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are continuing to get disconnected with Error 308, you may want to check your connection as described in the link below.

What do I do if I get "Error 308" when trying to load The Elder Scrolls Online on console?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE - That is not the issue here. The game hangs on log out and will not return to the character selection screen (with an endless loading screen).
    I can either crash the game back to the dashboard and restart it, or wait for 2 or 3 minutes to get kicked out with error 308.
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on Xbox, and although I'm not seeing the 308 error, I am frequently (i.e,, daily) having my console sit with the spinning ouroboros forever and ever after I log out with a character. I have this problem more often when I try to log out of a character on the EU server.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @alcoraptor and @Smitch_59

Have you tried reinstalling ESO on your Xbox to help with the crashing?
    Staff Post
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE Several times over the past few weeks.

During the ESO Free Play event, it happened nearly every single time I logged out - it has got a bit better since the event ended, but still happens very frequently.
    I also have asked friends and guildies that I run with, and they are all experiencing the same thing.

This is not an issue related to my Xbox, connection or game; this is a bug in ESO or a problem on the servers.
    It started a few patches back after maintenance on the account servers - though I can't remember an exact date unfortunately.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    At this point we recommend opening a ticket with customer support if you've not done so yet. Our support team can look into this matter further.
    Staff Post
  • FuriousChef
    FuriousChef
    Soul Shriven
    I’ve been having this issue for weeks now. Very frustrating. It makes playing multiple characters a real pain. Any solution found that can be posted for the public?
  • npuk
    npuk
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE This has been an issue on xbox since the launch of Greymore, swapping character causes an eternal load screen until you 308, the workaround we tend to do is force quite the game and relaunch.

I can give you 30+ guild members that have the same issue, all of which have gone through the usual cookie cutter support steps that you get.
    The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • Khrogo
    Khrogo
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue. When I log out to switch character, I crash, frequently.
  • Hu-Rikan
    Hu-Rikan
    ✭✭✭
    same issue here, at least twice a day when logging out to switch toons it gets stuck and I eventually have to close out the whole game and restart.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is still a thing. Past 3 maybe 4 days straight, after selecting character the sound stops, then the rotating icon freezes. Have to restart. This is along with the usual in-game crashes that still occur during trials and dungeons, switching characters, and sometimes just switching zones. However, this is becoming a pattern.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is a few months old, we will be closing the discussion. You can start a new thread if you are running into login or crashing issues.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.