The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Make Puncturing Strikes a single target ability.

Sheuib
Sheuib
✭✭✭✭
I am all for making changes to AOE abilities so that performance improves and Ball Group's power reduced. However, the templar is going to be the one that gets basically destroyed as a dps class. This could easily be remedied by just making Puncturing Strikes and its morphs single target abilities. A cool down on all the other templar AOE abilities is ok if you still can spam Puncturing Strikes.

Yes, this will make it so a templar can't just use one ability to kill an unlimited amount of PVE mobs but that cheese probably needs to stop anyways. You might have to actually use two or three abilities. It would even make the damage morph of ritual of retribution more attractive after the healing nerf to it.
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked for this about a year ago because zos made it easy for people to have access to major evasion and major protection at the time. I actually removed my jabs off and switched to the far better single target damage Dizzy Swing...at the time...

Here is an exerpt from what I said back then...

"Now I was trying to do execute.. but then I realized something...they will heal up before I can get it down on them...and...uhh...it did the same damage with dizzying swing by that point... so i just kept doing Dizzy...Dizzy...Dizzy...I almost got Dizzy...

Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy... until the CC CD ended... then flipped them in the air and continued to Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy..."

Those were the days...ZoS possibly saw this and then nerfed the hell out of Dizzy Swing...as the solution to the jab problem...

30% reduction at the time from Major Protection.... 25% reduction at the time from Major Evasion....

Why the hell would I nerf myself lol...

Dizzy at the time knocked up the person... so you can hit them again and not worry about the reprocussions... B)

yes..pun intended...unintentionally...
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it can avoid major evasion I am all up for such change, change it even next patch right at the start of test, so templars can at least participate in event.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no way they would make that change without nerfing it...
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB surprise attack clone
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Dizzy for me is about 21% less than jabs So you come out 4$ ahead with dizzy it IF you are hitting someone with major evasion. Then you lose burning light which they seem to intend to have only happen every 4th landed jab (which will be hard against a good opponent) and gives about 38% boost to the damage but dizzy is 20% faster, gives off balance for 10% more damage in CP.

So I am at about 4% in favor of jabs for DPS in perfect condition before comparing stun to major savagery for the extra effects. Major Savagery becomes mute these days with camo hunter. but not all targets will have major evasion, either.

I don't think we are far apart in the difference between jabs and the other prominent stamina spammable at the moment by the numbers. But for the test; I do agree it suck, but then, we can chose to use dizzy swing. My problem there then becomes that stamplar does not really have the extra defensive of a warden or necro using dizzy. Nor the major mending of DK, and warden. My stamsorc has more utility as I run streak on it and it has the crit surge healing with hurricane or little extra speen and again, also a heal with Dark deal. Stamplar then does not have major fracture nor defiles. Basically stamplar has extended ritual but its expensive 4600 at magicka

I guess what I am getting at is, stamplar have gotten to be where the spammable can be compareable to one available to everyone, which means it can be swapped if you really want to depending on what you are facing, and for sure during this upcoming testing; but the extra utility to the class is limited and expensive, and thats where the problem is. Has been since they made ER more expensive, changed major mending to minor and then gave major mending to 2 other classes, removed the defensive flavor from empowering sweep, then nerfed healing more, but jabs procing multiple burning lights made stamplar burst compensate. Thats gone now.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't completely butcher a Class staple like it's NBD and a pox upon your house for even suggesting such a thing! Have we not been through enough!?

I've stuck around through some BS but I'm done AF if these AOE changes go live.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they will make it a single target ability, maybe they will leave it AoE and make it an exception to the cool down/cost increase rule so it works just like it does now. For the testing it will be pretty much unusable, but whatever they decide to do as a result of the testing does not mean that every AoE ability will be affected by that decision.

They think AoE is the big problem with server performance (good chance they are right), and they are looking at cool downs, or cost increase as a way to reduce server stress. They need base lines so that they know if one way or the other will make a significant difference or not. That is what the global cool down phase and the global cost increase phase are for. It's a best/worst case scenario depending on your point of view. How significant of an improvement does each test provide? They need to know this. Then they draw it back to see how much of a difference there is between those best/worst case scenarios to the point of individual skill cool downs/cost increases. If things are still warm and fuzzy they can look at removing some AoE's from having any cool downs/cost increases at all. If things are not sufficiently improved at that point they may have to look at making some of the most serious offenders share a semi-global cool down or semi-global cost increase to reduce the spamming of a particular group of highly offensive skills.

They could also end up doing some combination of both I suppose where some skills get a cool down and some get a cost increase, but that doesn't mean that every AoE skill will be affected. Some skills are much more offensive than others, but they need baseline data to work off of so that they know what the different outcomes of each can yield toward server performance.

What they do after that to balance is anyone's guess, but I am sure that if they reduce the number of times that an ability can be cast that they will compensate the power of the heal or damage of that ability to average it out from a dps/hps standpoint. The only way they can do this is on live. PTS has nowhere near the population to give an accurate portrayal of what is happening on the live server. Yes it will be different, but people won't be able to kill you as fast or heal themselves as fast either. Really it should be a quite interesting month if you just take a step back, quit worrying about killing and dying, and just do your part to try and help them improve this game to the point that skills work as they are supposed to. Heck, for me it will be an improvement over the 5 second cool down lag has been blessing me with for months. I am looking forward to having my skills fire off every 3 seconds honestly, and that is the very worst case scenario they are testing for.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheuib wrote: »
    I am all for making changes to AOE abilities so that performance improves and Ball Group's power reduced. However, the templar is going to be the one that gets basically destroyed as a dps class. This could easily be remedied by just making Puncturing Strikes and its morphs single target abilities. A cool down on all the other templar AOE abilities is ok if you still can spam Puncturing Strikes.

Yes, this will make it so a templar can't just use one ability to kill an unlimited amount of PVE mobs but that cheese probably needs to stop anyways. You might have to actually use two or three abilities. It would even make the damage morph of ritual of retribution more attractive after the healing nerf to it.

Aoe spammable with huge range and a slow? yeah id say make it single target.
  • Trueblue
    Trueblue
    ✭✭
    Don't forget about PvE player... they don't need Single Target but aoe dps... you cannot change skill "work single on cyrodill and aoe in PvE".
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trueblue wrote: »
    Don't forget about PvE player... they don't need Single Target but aoe dps... you cannot change skill "work single on cyrodill and aoe in PvE".

Sure you can. We can split atoms and put a man on the moon, or at least make really good movies about it. Sounds fairly simple by comparison.
  • RobZha
    RobZha
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should get over the whole two options thing. Is it really that hard?

Mag = 1) single target, 2) aoe.
    Stam = 1) single target, 2) aoe.

Four morphs. If they're going to make such drastic changes to the way the game works then I'm sure they can do it and the playerbase can handle picking one option from four instead of one from two.

If they're so determined to stick to only two options with morphs, maybe they should ask themselves why that's the case and if it can be reviewed.

At the same time, people talking about how they're destroying Templar need to remember that they specifically said that if these changes go live for good then they're going back through every class to make changes. So Templar isn't going to be left like it is. It could take a while though before those changes are done and of course we have no idea how long that'll take or what we'll end up with.

Some reassurance from the devs could help with this one, because the concerns are real when it's such an important skill.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheuib wrote: »

Please stop trying to "help" Templars. If I want DPs, I'll use elemental weapon, a cool down on all other templar AoEs is not OK regardless, and we templars apologize to sorcerers for encroaching on their territory as the EZ PvE gods that they are,