The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Where do I get these paintings from?

Syldras
Syldras
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about this series of paintings - I really like the art style, but I couldn't find them anywhere?!

Painting-of-a-Tree-Refined.jpg

Painting-of-a-Swamp-Refined.jpg

The names are:
Painting of a Waterfall, Refined
Painting of Mountains, Refined
Painting of Tree, Refined
Painting of Swamp, Refined
Painting of a Desert, Refined
Painting of a Forest, Refined

I think it's a series as they're all named the same way.

The description on eso.mmo-fashion.com says they are also obtainable through loot (not only the store), but it's not specified where?! Is it totally random, or only in certain places?
I'd prefer to find them myself or obtain them through gold instead of crowns. I've also searched several guild stores for them, but didn't see a single one for offer.

Maybe someone has more information on this?

Thanks!
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 5:05PM
@Syldras | PC | EU
The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to a couple online sources, it's lootable from treasure chests. Whether or not that's correct, IDK. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gallery_Furnishings/Paintings
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to a couple online sources, it's lootable from treasure chests. Whether or not that's correct, IDK. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gallery_Furnishings/Paintings

Thanks. Maybe I'll try my luck tonight ;) I have already found paintings in chests, but that was long ago and it were only the commons paintings (autumn/bolted, palms/sturdy, jungle/sturdy,...). I never had luck with the newer ones. Never found a Telvanni painting, let alone Velothi , although I've done daily quests on Vvardenfell regularly for several weeks. Never found one on Summerset or in Elsweyr either...
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The old vanilla wood-frame Paintings are Crown Store only. They are included in some Houses, but only in the Furnished versions as far as I know, so they are Crowns only either way.
    painting_of_valley_refined.jpg

The Summerset wood-frame Paintings have been added to Treasure Chest drops in Graymoor, so you can find those 'Refined' paintings in Summerset Chests and at guild traders.
    painting_of_high_elf_tower_refined.jpg

Treasure Chests in Western Skyrim and Blackreach also drop the new Greymoor Paintings, Vvardenfell Treasure Chests drop some of the Vvardenfell Paintings (not all, some of those are also Crowns only) , and of course Treasure Chests still have a chance to drop the old paintings that used to drop from Treasure Chests before the Greymoor update.
    painting_of_winter_bolted.jpg
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! It's a pity those I was looking for are only available through the store. I really like that classic style and colors. Ah well. Maybe I'll find me something else :)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was lucky enough to get a Greymoor painting from of the few treasure maps I have gotten in Western Skyrim, but I have never found one in a regular chest there, or either in Summerset or Elsweyr, which is supposed to also have area paintings as well.

Are these only obtainable from the chests in treasure maps perhaps?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such type drops like mad from treasure chests.
    Got one minute ago
    Edited by Tammany on August 9, 2020 3:08PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to get a Greymoor painting from of the few treasure maps I have gotten in Western Skyrim, but I have never found one in a regular chest there, or either in Summerset or Elsweyr, which is supposed to also have area paintings as well.

I found one in a chest in public dungeon so it's not just treasure map chests.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten a couple of Greymoor paintings from regular overland chests in the zone.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I found one in a chest in public dungeon so it's not just treasure map chests.

Same here
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have been farming the Blackreach public dungeon a lot lately and have opened many chests there, and also all over Western Skyrim (and Northern Elsweyr), and not got anything.

I seem to be in a rut for RNG lately as I was getting Western Skyrim plans for a while but nothing the last several days. I guess it’s just me then.
    :(
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When they added the Elsweyr and Greymoor paintings, they reduced the drop rate overall, BUT only Elsweyr paintings will drop in Elsweyr, only Greymoor in Greymoor zones, etc.

So, when you farm, say Vvardenfell treasure chests, you'll only get Velothi/Telvanni paintings. This is why you see so many Greymoor and Elsweyr, even Velothi/Telvanni paintings, at guild traders now.

I was lucky in the first week or so of Greymoor launch to get 2 Greymoor paintings in overland (non-treasure map) chests. But, nothing since.

From Greymoor patch notes:

Moderately reduced the chance of acquiring paintings from treasure chests. However, when acquiring a painting from a treasure chest in an area that has its own paintings, you now always get a painting specific to that area.

This makes it much easier to acquire region-specific paintings, even with the overall reduction in the drop rate of paintings.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on August 11, 2020 8:52PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never gotten a painting from anything, and I open every chest, crate, bag etc. I see.
    PCNA
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now had luck and found one Greymoor painting.

Vvardenfell - still none. I think they're quite rare?! All Velothi paintings I saw in guild stores were listed for 200.000 gold each?!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I picked up an ambiguous painting of one of the vampire castles from a chest in Blackreach. ("Contrasts" I think it's called.)
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Red Mist Blooming" was the one I found in Blackreach.
    Had another try yesterday (Vvardenfell again)... no luck.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I finally did get “The Scion Strides Forth” painting or something like that in Blackreach public dungeon yesterday. It was in an advanced treasure chest.

It’s a huge painting but it looks rather dark and has lots of red blotches all over it. Is it supposed to look like that?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally did get “The Scion Strides Forth” painting or something like that in Blackreach public dungeon yesterday. It was in an advanced treasure chest. It’s a huge painting but it looks rather dark and has lots of red blotches all over it. Is it supposed to look like that?

Does it look like this?
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/the-scion-strides-forth-painting-brass/
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I finally did get “The Scion Strides Forth” painting or something like that in Blackreach public dungeon yesterday. It was in an advanced treasure chest. It’s a huge painting but it looks rather dark and has lots of red blotches all over it. Is it supposed to look like that?

Does it look like this?
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/the-scion-strides-forth-painting-brass/

OK, maybe I should have said “why does it look like that?” It’s ugly.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lore-friendly answer: Probably because the depicted person wanted it to look like this? ;) I think it's ugly too, also I don't know why I would decorate my home with a painting of a person I have no closer relations to, especially an adversary.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lore-friendly answer: Probably because the depicted person wanted it to look like this? ;) I think it's ugly too, also I don't know why I would decorate my home with a painting of a person I have no closer relations to, especially an adversary.

I meant the style of the painting is ugly. It’s like vampiric Impressionism with a too large brush. I guess the Scion is a vampire and that is how he is depicted, but still...

Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have only found one new painting, from Greymoor, of a dragonfly and a flower. I don't believe I ever found any Elsweyr paintings. Or Summerset for that matter.

I really want the painting of the cardinal that the guild trader in Solitude has displayed!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I have only found one new painting, from Greymoor, of a dragonfly and a flower. I don't believe I ever found any Elsweyr paintings. Or Summerset for that matter.

I really want the painting of the cardinal that the guild trader in Solitude has displayed!

There are a lot of really nice Solitude paintings but I have no idea which ones can be found in game or if some are housing editor only.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a silly question, but you've got the Treasure Hunter CP passive, right?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the Scion is a vampire and that is how he is depicted, but still...

It's Rada al-Saran:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Rada_al-Saran
    Maybe a silly question, but you've got the Treasure Hunter CP passive, right?

Yes.

@Syldras | PC | EU
  • Anfieldkris
    Anfieldkris
    ✭✭✭
    On PS4 EU. I’ve picked up about half a dozen Greymoor paintings from chests, with the majority of them from the dwemer public dungeon whilst farming for furnishing plans and opening the chests I see there. Did also get a Solitude painting from a master chest behind a waterfall in Western Skyrim of the Solitude arch.

Very small sample but the quality of the chests didn’t appear to make any difference as I have had paintings in the dungeon from normal, advanced and master chests. Have opened several hundred chests so guess drop rate is not overly high, but I do see people in there clearly running a route between chests, which have a reasonable respawn rate, with quite a lot then being listed by them on traders.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I’ve got nothing but the brass type paintings from Nchukthnkarst. I got a Jarl painting from a W Skyrim overland chest.

I see that there are paintings for W Skyrim that have the suffix “wood”, “gold”, “silver” and Elsweyr also has “wood” and “gold” I think.

Does anyone have any guidance on where these different types of paintings might be found? In other words, do I need to look in different places to find them?

I have farmed Labyrithian many times and never found any paintings there.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've never gotten a painting from anything, and I open every chest, crate, bag etc. I see.

Same here until recently when I made a farming toon with the CP treasure bonus. He has gotten 2 paintings in the past 2 weeks. I think the drops are pretty low. To give you an idea, I have gone through 250ish lockpicks in that time.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now had luck and found one Greymoor painting.

Vvardenfell - still none. I think they're quite rare?! All Velothi paintings I saw in guild stores were listed for 200.000 gold each?!

the vvardenfell ones drop like crazy from chests now. the ultra uber rare vvardenfell triptychs come from lockboxes but they are extremely rare. ive seen a total of two and they both grace the walls of my house. still looking for the third one tho.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I’ve got nothing but the brass type paintings from Nchukthnkarst. I got a Jarl painting from a W Skyrim overland chest.

I see that there are paintings for W Skyrim that have the suffix “wood”, “gold”, “silver” and Elsweyr also has “wood” and “gold” I think.

Does anyone have any guidance on where these different types of paintings might be found? In other words, do I need to look in different places to find them?

the other public dungeon ---- in black reach --- ive pulled like 50 paintings out of that place.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

the other public dungeon ---- in black reach --- ive pulled like 50 paintings out of that place.

Can you give more detail, like were they all the brass ones like I found, or did you find some wood, silver, or gold ones?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

This discussion has been closed.